2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2016 sGT hatchback new, and now after about 7k miles the almond leather in the driver's seat is not doing too great.
As far as I know, it's actual leather (the brochure color options are Black Leatherette, Black Leather, and Almond Leather).

There is slight yellow discoloration on the seat back and on the base where my legs rest.
I'm 160 pounds and rarely wear shorts.
This is fairly subtle and would only bother OCD designer-types like myself.

Unfortunately, there are a few places on the driver's seat with less subtle problems: the leather itself is flaking apart.

My original cleaning routine was simply following the manual's instructions and wiping down the seats with a damp microfiber cloth every week or two.
Once I noticed the yellowing, I tried several products:

Leather Masters leather protection cream (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SI1WSO)
Leather Masters strong leather cleaner (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RHUME6)
Zymol leather cleaner (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JKISG/)

None made any difference in removing the yellowing.
As for the leather, uh, melting/flaking, I have no idea what is causing that.

I use a windshield sun reflector and temps here in the Pacific Northwest rarely get beyond 90 degrees for a month in the summer.

Ya'll have any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the black, but don't have any issues like this. Since you are still under warranty, I would take this problem to the dealer. I don't think this is normal wear and tear, especially with such low mileage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 18.000km on mine and it's not showing anything like that (also almond leather), so I'd certanly take it back for warranty.

·
Working Class Hero
3,625 Posts
7700 miles on mine and haven't seen any of this, though I will certainly be looking more closely now. Agreed that you should get a warranty repair going.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No problems for me. Even though only 6000 miles it still looks like new. I don't think seats need frequent cleaning (unless they look dirty). I think I never cleaned mine except for some vacuuming. Maybe I would apply once a year a leather cleaner, and that's it. I'm not sure if others have better advice on best maintenance practices of leather seats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I emailed the dealer about a warranty claim.
I'll keep ya'll posted about what happens and if they have any particular suggestions about how to take care of the leather.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No problems here either on my 2015 with black leather and about 10,500 miles. I've been regularly cleaning mine with leather cleaner and then conditioner (Meguiar's I think), but not *that* often, maybe once a month or less.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update --- the dealer took a look and got the OK from Mazda regional to replace the leather on the driver's seat.
It took a full day, but they basically peeled off the original fabric and reupholstered the seat.

Plan is to not treat it with anything whatsoever and only wipe it down lightly if I ever notice dirt on it.
Going to avoid any kind of cleaners / treatments; we'll see how it holds up.

·
Registered
468 Posts
just so you know, these seats are NOT leather

not even close

pleather at best

do you have a wallet or keys or other bulky item in your right pocket?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Some areas are not actual leather like the left/right-most sides of the seats, armrest, handbrake wrapping, and soft touch door panels. But the areas in OP's photos are leather.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone,

It's been about 3,000 miles since the dealership reupholstered the original driver's seat, but unfortunately the issue seems to be happening again (see attached photo).

I haven't used any kind of product on the seat, and have only wiped it down lightly with a damp microfiber a handful of times.

Am I the only one having this problem with the almond leather?

Any ideas / suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mango, are you a big guy?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
just so you know, these seats are NOT leather

not even close

pleather at best

do you have a wallet or keys or other bulky item in your right pocket?
On the GT, Mazda states in its brochure that the seat trim (and the steering wheel and shift knob) are leather. Looking at the OP's picture, the part that is separating sure looks like the seat trim to me.

No disagreement that even on the GT, that the rest of the seat is pleather (or similar).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mango.
I could not see your location/city. If u live near the sea, moisture or wet clothes may cause. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wierd, I have 20k miles on my almond leather seats and I don't see anything like that on mine. Mine is as good as new still. I only clean and condition with Meguiar's about twice a year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mozsert, I'm in Portland Oregon, which is about 3 hours from the sea. It can get damp sometimes, but there isn't a ton of salt in the air or anything like that.

Krazyboi, When I first got the car I picked up some leather cleaners (as discussed earlier in this thread) because I wanted to keep the white seats looking good for as long as possible. After the seat was damaged, though, I looked into the topic a bit more, and read that using products on coated leather is basically useless.
So after the dealer reupholstered the driver's seat, I haven't used any kind of product on the seats.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you sure that it's not because of whatever you're wearing while you're driving? Maybe the seam on your jacket is rougher than you think...

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts