2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

2016 Mexican rear brake pads

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  ubertalldude 
#1 · (Edited)
How far is all the way in? The boot keeps wanting to twist with the piston. Do I need to back off anything with the parking brake to make it twist in at all?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Twist it enough to get the new pads back on. If the boot twists, just untwist it after the piston is collapsed.

The Mexican rear brake assembly sucks. The parking brake likes to stick on cold or wet mornings, and the rear pads get eaten up way faster than the front since the parking brake doesn't seem to fully release, dragging the pads a lot of the time.

Mazda won't admit the issue, but knows the 3rd gen 3's eat rear pads and warps rotors "for some unknown reason" the dealer told me.

Grease the slide pins, the piston face, the shims, etc. to keep everything moving freely.

#5 · (Edited)
I just hit me it should be fine to clean and lubricate the boot a little with brake assembly grease. I read several forums saying to use white lithium or WD-40, then I saw a statement that WD-40 should never be used on brake seals. Should I consider changing over to Japanese calibers since we plan on keeping this car for several years? Are the support brackets different?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.