2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow MZ3 owners. I have been searching all over the internet hoping to find someone that has done a DIY trunk light upgrade. I did one recently using an LED strip but for some reason the light trunk doesn't turn off. I read few articles about this issue and I guess it is a known fact but apparently Mazda never sent notice for recall. People are saying you need to replace some type of module (RBCM - Rear Body Control Module). I put the old OEM light fixture back to its place and it is the same result.

Anyone having the same issue or possibly solution to the issue?

I was thinking if there's a way to put an on/off switch in the back. Is that possible?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey not sure if you've already sorted this but hopefully this helps someone.

A while ago I installed two COB LED strips in my hatch along the grills, just using a festoon adapter to take power from the existing hatch light. After a while one of the strips started dying. This seemed to cause an issue with the RBCM which caused the symptoms you described.

Rather than replacing the RBCM I used a tilt switch in the arm of the hatch going to a relay powered off the existing hatch light. So when the hatch goes up, the tilt switch closes, turning on the relay to power the LED strips.

This has been working for almost a year now with no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey not sure if you've already sorted this but hopefully this helps someone.

A while ago I installed two COB LED strips in my hatch along the grills, just using a festoon adapter to take power from the existing hatch light. After a while one of the strips started dying. This seemed to cause an issue with the RBCM which caused the symptoms you described.

Rather than replacing the RBCM I used a tilt switch in the arm of the hatch going to a relay powered off the existing hatch light. So when the hatch goes up, the tilt switch closes, turning on the relay to power the LED strips.

This has been working for almost a year now with no issues.
How's this holding up and how hard of a project is this for someone whose noob in wiring? You definitely have the sickest trunk light setup, looks completely oem

1 - 3 of 3 Posts