2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:

I'd like to build a roof rack something like this one.

One concern I have is: the area around the mounting points doesn't seem level from side to side. So the pads might not sit flat on the body. It seems that commercial mounts are contoured to fit the shape around the mounting points.

For my design idea, the mounts need to be level from side to side (lengthwise the mounting points seem to be on a slope but that's okay).

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately they costlier in Canadian dollars. But it is an option. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Please note that OEM bolting has a shoulder. See image. By comparison with your bolts you 'kinda need to count rotations so u do not bottom out on the roof sheet metal. Also the hard-stop collar + a torque spec gives a form of control on how much flex the Factory tolerates on the on-roof brackets (i.e. towers, stantions)... By comparison it seems to me with your system you would 'hafta go pretty moderate with your torque to avoid the possibility of bending the roof brackets.

Otherwise... excellent work!

BTW... images courtesy of another of our members... I forget who. But thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Angled rubber spacers?
LOL If only I could by parts like that.
I thought of cutting the stoppers on an angle but while I'm somewhat handy, that's well beyond what I would attempt. I'd stick to off-the-shelf as much as possible. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts