2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently own a blacked 2016 mazda 3 i sport and enjoy modding as i go.

current mods in clude

resoniator delete
muffler delete
5% tint
black powder coated rims

currently want to replace my drl bulbs so they are not the yellow tint but cannot find what i am looking for.
i want a 5000k white LED bulb replacement... and is that all i need to buy to plug and play or do I need more equipment?

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
Since you have the 3iS I'm asuming you have the standard halogen head lights. As such, you can't replace the DRLs with LEDs using plug and play bulbs.
The DRLs are also the highbeam lights. The ECU send low power current, about 7 volts, to the DRLs to illuminate them, and full power when the high beams are used. You will lose your DRLs if you swap in LEDs. You need an adapter harness and the proper ballasting to trick the ECU into thinking the proper bulbs are in place.
Once you get the lights working, you'll find out that the high beams, while they look significantly brighter, don't really illuminate anything past 30 or 40 feet. The issue is the length of the bulb. The reflector is designed for a bulb of a particular length where the illumination filament is at the proper focal point inside the reflector. The LED bulbs don't allow a focused beam at all, rather they just scatter light in every direction. It is like the difference between a flash light and a table lamp with the shade removed.
This is the close thing to a solution I have been able to find - I am considering trying these adjustable LEDs to see if they really work.
H4 H8 H9 H11 9005 9006 LED Headlight Bulbs Replacement

This is only a problem for the high beams / DRL bulbs. The low beams have projector lenses, and the H11 version of the bulb listed above work extremely well in those.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It would cause a world of problems for anyone driving at you if you were driving around with HID high beams as your DRL.

If you want that LED look you're best off turning off the DRL (If your country / car allows it) and adding an aftermarket LED DRL down near the fog light or something.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
The whole issue here is you can't really use any sort of bulb in your high beam reflector box other than what is already there. Any other bulb, either LED or HID, just won't work because the light box is not designed to use those bulbs. You will have extremely bright lights that don't actually illuminate anything at night, but they will blind oncoming traffic because the beams are not focused properly if at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just talked to my mazda dealship and IT IS possible to switch out you're DRL with a plug and play 9005 bulb....

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
just talked to my mazda dealship and IT IS possible to switch out you're DRL with a plug and play 9005 bulb....
I have done this. Yeah, sure it is possible to replace a 9005 halogen with a 9005 LED because they have the same base and locking tabs. However, it won't work. The DRLs will malfunction (only one lights up) and you will have zero illumination past 30 feet or so from the high beams.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why would this not work...everything you've said so far goes against what my dealership is saying.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
why would this not work...everything you've said so far goes against what my dealership is saying.
I have explained why it doesn't work. Twice at least I think in this thread.
The dealership is telling you that a 9005 LED will replace a 9005 halogen. Yes, it will. The bulb will fit in the reflector housing, the wiring will plug in, the light will come on, but the results will be very poor. Reread above, again, as to why.
Go back to the dealer and ask them about reflector design. Then ask them to replace the bulbs. When they don't work you can go back and tell them they were wrong and get your money back.
That being said, the LEDs in the link I posted above have an adjustable height base collar, so they may end up working. I'm going to order a set to see.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
Your DRLs are your highbeams right now.
If you want to install something else in place of your current headlights, could not tell you if it will work. :dunno: Depends on what it is.
Any bulb you put in the OEM high beam reflector needs to have a filament / emitter that is at the same height as the halogen filament. Replacing the whole light box or installing a projector in the high beam box is something entirely different. How any such thing would work is entirely dependent on its design and how it is installed.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
Those don't even appear on the iJDMtoy website, and the seller is not iJDMtoy either.
1000 lumens is not very bright overall, especially if there is no beam focus. The LEDs I linked to are 4000 lumens for the high beam.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts