2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased yesterday and I would like to replace the front speakers with either JL Audio components or JBL Components speakers via crutchfield. The car does have the tweeters in the dash. My question is if I purchase new speakers would I need to install the crossovers? I've seen an install on youtube where the installer didn't use the crossovers. My guess is there might be some filters already? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No crossovers needed. The factory amp has that built in.

Just make sure you get speakers and tweeters designed for 25 watt output or less.
CK
Thank you. Its non bose stereo. I picked up a pair of jbl speakers with a 92 db sensitivity. The people at crutchfield reccomended using the crossovers. Will it hurt to use them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Different speakers have different crossover points. These protect the speaker from playing outside their intended range and limit possible damage to the speaker. Yes, I would use the purchased speakers crossovers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help. I've got a professional audio installer putting some JBL Component Speakers with silk dome tweeters that have a high sensitivity in the front doors and kenwood 8 inch powered subwoofer under the passenger seat. I was thinking about putting in some cheap mid-bass speakers in the rear. Would that cause them to blow because they can't handle the higher sound or would they be ok?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,627 Posts
A DSP would work better and allow you the versatility to do whatever you want. Passive crossovers are terrible for time alignment and proper staging. Since they split a single output into two locations (you end up using an average for the two instead of two separate and correct settings)

PS.. Alpine makes a sub with a built in amp and DSP that would probably work well. 4x25 and 1x165 out. See below.

JBL 8x40 amp with DSP too.. 4 for front speakers & tweeters. No rear.

Bridge remaining 4 into 2 for L/R on the sub.
CK

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A DSP would work better and allow you the versatility to do whatever you want. Passive crossovers are terrible for time alignment and proper staging. Since they split a single output into two locations (you end up using an average for the two instead of two separate and correct settings)

PS.. Alpine makes a sub with a built in amp and DSP that would probably work well. 4x25 and 1x165 out. See below.

JBL 8x40 amp with DSP too.. 4 for front speakers & tweeters. No rear.

Bridge remaining 4 into 2 for L/R on the sub.
CK

Got a nice set of JBL components installed that have silk dome tweeters and an 8inch powered subwoofer under the passengers seat. Sounds fantastic and didn't need to install an amp for the speakers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts