2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2016 Mazda 3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2016 Mazda 3 - 2.0L, I am having no luck getting the original Oil filter off. Does anyone know what size filter wrench fits the original filter that a gorilla installed at the factory. Is it 75.6mm, 14 Flutes ??? I can promise it will never be that tight again after I get it off.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You just need something like this https://www.amazon.com/JC-Performance-Universal-Removal-Adjustable/dp/B01NCISC11/ref=sr_1_43?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1487774956&sr=1-43&keywords=oil+filter+wrench+socket

There are several variations. The one I have doesn't even look like this, but basically there are 3 fingers that get tighter around as you loosen. I remember one filter that I had to put an "O" clamp around to tighten up the fingers because even they were slipping... but I have NEVER not been able to get an oil filter off with one of these.

And they are basically universal as long as your filter diameter falls within it's opening and closing range.

·
2016 Mazda 3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was NOT 75.6mm, 14 Flutes. The original filter was Orig Mazda OEM PE01 14 302A, I got the filter off using a Locking Oil Filter Wrench from Harbor Freight for $8.99 (remember lefty loosely). I installed a FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter XG6607 $8.50 which Walmart sells a nice Cup Filter Wrench that you can fit to your filter in the store (so you don't go home and find out it doesn't fit). Then put in Castrol synthetic Oil 0W-20W.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts