2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2016 mazda 3 2.5l with the full appearance package. Today driving in a storm (pretty bad rain/wind), the chin spoiler was ripped off and i ended up driving over it (ended up recovering the left over bent in half part thanks to a friendly motorist that saw it on the highway). My mind was blown, the car isn't even a year old, never hit anything with the chin spoiler/front bumper. All it took was a thunderstorm and high wind. Huge bummer.

Replacement is well over $500... any alternatives? Most of the one's online seem to need to be professionally sanded/painted/etc so that would drive cost/time up quite a lot.

Pretty bummed down, i baby my car so much... :frown2:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here is the OEM one for $ 336, original price is just under 500 for just the lip. You can put it on yourself quite easily (so no labor) just make sure none of the mounting points are damage. Alternatively you can get a baysonR lip off of ebay (polyurethane, unpainted) for like $90 but it will need painting to restore the gloss black look.
Front Air Dam Aero kit - Mazda 3

I got the side skirts pair for that price but I need to buy another since I curbed my passenger side and they don't sell them as a single anywhere :(.

·
Registered
267 Posts
How was it fastened on, and who installed it? Sounds like whoever did just used doubled sided trim tape, no actual fasteners.
Had to have been, the ebay lip is just held on with screws. Much less intricate than the braces and legitimate mounting points the OEM one should use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How was it fastened on, and who installed it? Sounds like whoever did just used doubled sided trim tape, no actual fasteners.
Dealer installed when i purchased the car brand new. I saw mounting tape + 2 mounting tabs toward the center and one on each corners.

I had a el cheapo chin spoiler on my 2002 mustang on for ever and driven through some horrible roads/weather and never had an issue, so i'm quite shocked (car is not even a year old, wasn't even driven this winter!).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should add this is OEM, bought and installed at the dealer.

It looks to me like the water that filled up the highway pressed/pushed against it making it 'pop' out and then i drove over it which ripped the other side downward and under the car. Must have been some extremely shitty lucky on my part, i was going 40mpg in a 65mpg highway due to rain and wanted to play it safe. Seems next time i should park on the side and hope no one rear ends me or risk losing my lip spoiler heh :(

·
Super Moderator
5,250 Posts
Still under warranty? I'd be visiting the dealer with the part in hand and find out how this could happen. Sounds like an installation issue, as in somebody did a really cheezy job. Unless you really whacked something that should not just "fall off".

·
Super Moderator
5,250 Posts

It looks to me like the water that filled up the highway pressed/pushed against it making it 'pop' out and then i drove over it which ripped the other side downward and under the car.
How deep was the water? Heavy rain should not rip parts off of your car. Driving through 8 or 10 inches of water at speed might.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How deep was the water? Heavy rain should not rip parts off of your car. Driving through 8 or 10 inches of water at speed might.
Id like to say 1 feet but probably a lot less than that, more like half a feet. I was going 42mph on a 65mph when it happened, remember looking at the speed when i hear the noise of scrapping/dragging and instantly though (wtf is stuck under my car). Yepp chin spoiler.

·
Super Moderator
5,250 Posts
I doubt there was 6+ inches of standing water on the highway. Traffic would have been virtually stopped if there had been. If you have never driven in deep water its not easy, especially at highway speeds and most people will just stop or slow down to a couple miles an hour.:surprise:
Now unless you drove full speed into a big deep puddle, driving on a rain soaked road should not make your car fall apart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt there was 6+ inches of standing water on the highway. Traffic would have been virtually stopped if there had been. If you have never driven in deep water its not easy, especially at highway speeds and most people will just stop or slow down to a couple miles an hour.:surprise:
Now unless you drove full speed into a big deep puddle, driving on a rain soaked road should not make your car fall apart.
Then that shows how little water there was (there was water on the highway and it was pouring) but i was still going 40 into it and others faster.

Guess bad luck and just the right misfortune to get the lip detached and then get driven over/ripped off... :frown2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the OEM one for $ 336, original price is just under 500 for just the lip. You can put it on yourself quite easily (so no labor) just make sure none of the mounting points are damage. Alternatively you can get a baysonR lip off of ebay (polyurethane, unpainted) for like $90 but it will need painting to restore the gloss black look.

I got the side skirts pair for that price but I need to buy another since I curbed my passenger side and they don't sell them as a single anywhere :(.
Damn price was good until shipping/taxes and then brings it up to $500 lol

·
Super Moderator
5,250 Posts
Then that shows how little water there was (there was water on the highway and it was pouring) but i was still going 40 into it and others faster.

Guess bad luck and just the right misfortune to get the lip detached and then get driven over/ripped off... :frown2:
I think you are missing the point that it should not have come off at all. If the dealer put in on wrong make the dealer fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I think you are missing the point that it should not have come off at all. If the dealer put in on wrong make the dealer fix it.
First thing Monday i am going there. 100% ready for them to tell me they did nothing wrong and i can't prove otherwise. That's pretty much how MD dealers are. Of course they will offer me a new one with installation and a 5% discount :surprise:

·
Registered
657 Posts

It looks to me like the water that filled up the highway pressed/pushed against it making it 'pop' out and then i drove over it which ripped the other side downward and under the car. Must have been some extremely shitty lucky on my part, i was going 40mpg in a 65mpg highway due to rain and wanted to play it safe. Seems next time i should park on the side and hope no one rear ends me or risk losing my lip spoiler heh :(
My 2016 appearance package up front stinks as well. I don't think it's the labor that's so poor, rather the prescribed method to install. A few clips as anchor points, then tape to hold everything in place. Mine started falling apart within the first year after a couple scrapes.

My solution......i used a couple selftapping screws on either side of the front spoiler. There is a lip back there you can use for this, which is behind any visible parts...no problems since. I actually used a bit of adhesive on the screws as "loctite"...i'm weary about using proper loctite on anything except metal, bad experiences.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 2016 appearance package up front stinks as well. I don't think it's the labor that's so poor, rather the prescribed method to install. A few clips as anchor points, then tape to hold everything in place. Mine started falling apart within the first year after a couple scrapes.

My solution......i used a couple selftapping screws on either side of the front spoiler. There is a lip back there you can use for this, which is behind any visible parts...no problems since. I actually used a bit of adhesive on the screws as "loctite"...i'm weary about using proper loctite on anything except metal, bad experiences.
I thought that it had screws on the bottom, but nope! Exactly what you describe, 4 clips and a bunch of tape. I checked my invoice, i paid $500 + taxes about a year ago for the front (i had all of it installed at the dealership).

Not happy at all. Manager wasn't there today, so trying tomorrow again. So far all options is in the $350-$450 range, which is absurd for something a year old.

My 2002 mustang has the mach 1 chin spoiler, it was on the car up to the date i sold it (so 14 years) and it was still on perfectly... It was held with self tapping screws.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I thought that it had screws on the bottom, but nope! Exactly what you describe, 4 clips and a bunch of tape. I checked my invoice, i paid $500 + taxes about a year ago for the front (i had all of it installed at the dealership).

Not happy at all. Manager wasn't there today, so trying tomorrow again. So far all options is in the $350-$450 range, which is absurd for something a year old.

My 2002 mustang has the mach 1 chin spoiler, it was on the car up to the date i sold it (so 14 years) and it was still on perfectly... It was held with self tapping screws.
Yeah the appearance package was pricey, they should do better. Best of luck, I agree with Arathol that they should cover this, it should not be falling off...and i'm not one of those over-entitled customers. I might even suggest they take preventative measures to ensure it doesn't happen again - I don't trust the stock installation anymore myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts