2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When pressing the gas pedal, I find that when I want to accelerate
the pedal feels like it has to push past a sticking point.
It is not a smooth travel to the floor. Anyone else feel this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that is unfortunately that's how it is. its the kick down switch.
Thank you, that's exactly what happens. Never felt that sticking point in any other car. My last was a 2010 Mazda3. Smooth pedal like every other car. Would like to know Mazda's take is on this. I'll ask the service dept. when I get my first oil change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Mazda is equipped with a kickdown switch. I had the same question after I noticed a sticky part on my 2017 Touring when the pedal is to the floor. By pressing the pedal all the way and feeling the kickdown switch basically engages maximum engine power.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's a cool feature

Yeah that is unfortunately that's how it is. its the kick down switch.
Not unfortunate at all! It's by design, and a cool feature! Automatic transmission drivers can engage a lower gear right away instead of waiting for the computer to decide. Manual transmission drivers do the equivalent (by downshifting) when approaching a hill or when passing someone.

·
Super Moderator
5,553 Posts
Not unfortunate at all! It's by design, and a cool feature! Automatic transmission drivers can engage a lower gear right away instead of waiting for the computer to decide. Manual transmission drivers do the equivalent (by downshifting) when approaching a hill or when passing someone.
Or you can do what drivers of automatics have done for years and use the lever that is in the center console......:laugh2:

That being said, every automatic car I have ever owned that did not have a computer controlling the shifting still had a kickdown switch with linkages that were attached to the throttle at the carburetor. Nothing new there.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Long before car computers were around my family owned a '56 Chevy with a two-speed automatic PowerGlide transmission. That's the car I learned to drive with.

What a thrill it was when that 265-cubic-inch V-8 was floored, and that smooth transmission would shift into what we called the "passing gear." Of course, it was just the transmission shifting from second gear to first via the throttle cable trigger. To us it felt like an afterburner on a fighter jet.

It was Zoom Zoom as provided by mid-20th Century American Iron.

Today, my 120-cubic-inch (2.0 liter) four-cylinder Mazda is much faster, gets more than twice the mileage and has five times as many "passing" gears. That is what I call progress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts