2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been reading through many of the posts around the notchy '14-16 6-speeds, was hoping mine would be the exception (manufactured in 8/2016), but it's not.

On one hand, if I baby it (shift at low rpms, under 2000 or so) it behaves pretty well, entering each gate pretty smoothly. However, it's not guaranteed, and if I shift over 3000, it's a toss up - something just a bit notchy, other times with a bit more resistance, and sometimes (especially with 4th), I swear I can feel the gears rolling as I shift.

I believe the other '16 stick I drove had the same feel, but I'm wondering if I should have it looked at anyway. Would any of the existing TSBs even apply at this point, given they were written against '14 and '15 production cars?

Is this anything to worry about, or should I just sit back and enjoy the car? All of this reading and worrying is killing me... :(

Thanks in advance,
John

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you’re not happy with the dealer response and cannot get a resolution, try this stuff from GM. I used it in my V6 6-speed 2007 Accord and it completely change the characteristics of how that transmission shifted; IE, made it shift like a 4 cyliner Honda manual.

Side note, I have a 2016 Mazda6 Touring manual and feel it shifts just as good as a 4 cylinder Honda manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
I disagree that it goes away after a few thousand miles. Mine goes away in the warm weather, but returns in the cold (I have about 25k miles on my '15).

It never grinds but it definitely has trouble popping in in the cold weather on occasion. I don't think it says anything about the longevity of the transmission. It's one thing if it made horrible noises but just being "notchy" is not something that going to cause increased wear, I would think.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 14' but haven't felt the manual being particularly notchy, maybe a bit in cold weather but overall I find the shifting smooth and fairly similar in all gears.
What I have run into is occasionally going from neutral to 1st at a stop the gears won't push together and I have to either blip the throttle or roll a tiny bit forward/backward to get the engagement. I'd say it's about 1 every 30 times or so.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine's notchy especially in cold weather. I've found that changing it to Redline fluid helped, I change it every 40-50k. Sometimes if it's really cold (10-20F), I'll shift to neutral between gear changes until the car is warmed up. That helps sometimes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a '14 and found it to be quite notchy and sometimes hard to shift into first. Had the TSB performed a while back, maybe saw minor improvement. I'm just shy of 2 years into owning and about 25k and it's either smoothed out or I've gotten used to it. Once in a great while I'll have trouble getting into first at a stop... Have yet to touch the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Short throw shifter

Has anyone tried a short shifter kit for the 14-16? Or know if there are any available?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a '15 mazda 3 that is a bit notchy. I have about 24k miles on it. I have only had it for a few months, so hopefully the notchy aspect goes away in the summer.

Still a blast to drive, but feel like an idiot at times that I can't get the gear to engage at first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts