2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello ladies and gentlemen!
I'm new to the forum. to be perfectly honest, I only joined because i can't find, anywhere, any info on whether or not we can put a shorter belt to bypass the air condition compressor - just eye balling it, it doesn't look like it will clear the tensioner unless i change the alternator pulley and I don't really want to mess with all that!
OR if there are any available a/c bypass pulleys made for this car yet!? anyone have the part number? I know Dorman makes a bunch!

I am really hoping someone on here can help me as my compressor pulley is making a lot of noise and I don't need a/c. thank you very much in advance!
2016 Mazda 3, 2.0L

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i don't think anyone is going to know of a belt that would fit....you could always measure? not a fun job but can't think of much else. maybe you could use some string to find the difference between pullies if A/C compressor was not there? not sure if you'd find the belt you're after, but it's worth a shot.

just my 2 cents, i did this with a car in the past because the A/C system was totally empty and it was on its own belt. pulled the belt, compressor and condenser. it made a difference but it wasn't much, hard to say if i could even feel it or not. this was also off an old 1990 toyota so it would be horribly inefficient compared to what you have under the hood. considering that the compressor works on an electromagnetic clutch and the pulley mass is already very low, this is probably not worth it.

unless you're really hardcore looking to lose every pound in the car you can of course :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I suspect all this fuss (new belt, or searching and buying and installing (somehow) "bypass pulley") would be more costly and time consuming than changing compressor pulley bearings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts