2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 S Touring has about 70k miles. Does the transmission fluid need changed? My research says skyactiv vehicles do not need changing. Just wanted to confirm my vehicle is a skyactiv one.

Besides oil changes and air filters, what other regular maintenance should I be doing?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,339 Posts
My 2015 S Touring has about 70k miles. Does the transmission fluid need changed? My research says skyactiv vehicles do not need changing. Just wanted to confirm my vehicle is a skyactiv one.

Besides oil changes and air filters, what other regular maintenance should I be doing?

If you still have the 2015 original transmission fluid, it's already past due. The owner manual has the maintenance routine guidelines.
Lifetime transmission fluid in Skyactiv is a dangerous hoax. The oil will last past the 3yr warranty, then it will be a $3,000-$5k repair. Usually every 50k would hopefully prevent failure - dark fluid / burnt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmmm... I've got 180k on my fluid, probably time to change it. What's the fluid required for the 2014? I think it's FZ. If that's the case I think there is a synthetic.

May want to be careful about changing fluid that late into vehicle mileage, the particles (metal shavings) in the fluid could be the only things stopping the clutch from slipping. Just something to consider.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,339 Posts
May want to be careful about changing fluid that late into vehicle mileage, the particles (metal shavings) in the fluid could be the only things stopping the clutch from slipping. Just something to consider.
It should be fine without a tranny flush, but it's better dropping the pan and replacing the filter.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

It's never had a problem with slipping. The worst it's had is slow to shift. But bear in mind my average speed is around 47mph and average mileage is around 32.1mpg. I do a lot of highway and I'm very gentle on it in the city. Hell I still have the original front brakes, belts, hoses, pulleys if that gives you any indication of how gentle I am on it. My mechanic is like wtf?? they still have life!!! every time I see him.

I'm expecting to start replacing shit in the engine this year. Likely the tensioner pulley, or some sort of accessory as there is a bearing noise coming from somewhere.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,339 Posts
I've been really happy with the aftermarket synthetic for the coolant. Also, use LiquiMoly 2208 for the motor and it runs so much better than what I used to get at the dealer.
I use this aftermarket motor oil "Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic Motor Oil". Cleaner internal parts.
The oem motor oil synthetics are more expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going to make the recommendation to not change it unless you're noticing shifting issues or slipping (RPMs climbing without additional throttle application). I had a 2013 SkyActiv with the same automatic transmission that's in the current cars and did a change at 50k with the specified Mazda fluid to the specified level and only then did I start having issues. My problems were mostly a very long delay with engaging drive after shifting into drive from park or reverse when the transmission was cold (hadn't been driven recently). Shifter would be in drive and yet the car wouldn't creep forward for a few seconds and then suddenly slam into gear. Prior to me changing the ATF, I had no issues with the transmission whatsoever and I'm sure the original ATF could have gone 100k+ no problem.

Mazda says it's lifetime, and yes, I would not keep it in there for 500k, but changing it when you're not having any issues seems overkill and isn't recommended. We have an '18 CX-3 and 18' Mazda3 now with the same transmission and I will never change the fluid unless I start having issues, and this is coming from someone who religiously changes oil at 5k and does brake fluid every 2-3 years. Just keep in mind there's plenty of SkyActiv Mazdas on the road that have well over 100k on the original ATF and aren't experiencing issues.

Reactions: alextheGOAT

·
Registered
844 Posts
MANICompression: Did you change the filter when you changed the transmission fluid at 50K miles?

If so, perhaps you did not seat the new filter well enough, or perhaps a gasket was missing, or perhaps a gasket was faulty or loose or something?

Otherwise, I can't imagine how the transmission would develop those symptoms from the installation of the proper amount and type of fresh fluid. I would hate that your example would discourage someone from changing the transmission fluid at 50K miles. It may not be necessary to change at that mileage for some applications such as straight highway miles, but it may be very beneficial to other applications such as lots of stop-and-go city miles.

In any case, proper and fresh transmission fluid should be good and certainly not harmful in all applications except perhaps one: when a transmission has been neglected long enough that the old, spent fluid is so extremely dirty that a change of fluid would loosen up so much of the grit in the transmission that the transmission failed sooner than it would if the hopelessly contaminated fluid were just left in for the duration, which likely would not be much longer anyway.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm going to make the recommendation to not change it unless you're noticing shifting issues or slipping (RPMs climbing without additional throttle application). I had a 2013 SkyActiv with the same automatic transmission that's in the current cars and did a change at 50k with the specified Mazda fluid to the specified level and only then did I start having issues. My problems were mostly a very long delay with engaging drive after shifting into drive from park or reverse when the transmission was cold (hadn't been driven recently). Shifter would be in drive and yet the car wouldn't creep forward for a few seconds and then suddenly slam into gear. Prior to me changing the ATF, I had no issues with the transmission whatsoever and I'm sure the original ATF could have gone 100k+ no problem.

Mazda says it's lifetime, and yes, I would not keep it in there for 500k, but changing it when you're not having any issues seems overkill and isn't recommended. We have an '18 CX-3 and 18' Mazda3 now with the same transmission and I will never change the fluid unless I start having issues, and this is coming from someone who religiously changes oil at 5k and does brake fluid every 2-3 years. Just keep in mind there's plenty of SkyActiv Mazdas on the road that have well over 100k on the original ATF and aren't experiencing issues.
Wow! What a bunch of nonsense coming outta you. Lol. No way in hell your transmission developed said problem from FRESH OEM fluid. Sorry, ain’t gonna happen. It’s a huge coincidence that it just so happened after you’ve serviced the transmission.

Let’s think about this logically, shall we?

If the stinkin original 50k old “lifetime” fluid was “perfectly fine” and healthy and within OEM spec, and you went and replaced it with the exact same freakin OEM fluid with the same damn specification, then how on earth will the new fluid cause ANY POSSIBLE effect on your transmission?!?! LOL!!! Ain’t gonna happen, buddy.

There are some people who get their transmission fluid changed early and report NO DIFFERENCE in shift quality. Why? Because the original fluid was perfectly fine and was getting the job done 95% and you just flushed it with new fluid and now the transmission is @ 100%.

The majority of people will feel an improvement in shift quality though, because regardless of what the manufacturers tell you, transmission fluid does degrade and shift quality will degrade with it. New fluid makes everything slip n slide like new and the transmission will shift smoother, like it did when new. Why? Because the old fluid was @ 90% or 80% or worse in spec from new and most people will feel the 10-20% improvement.

I’ve been servicing car for a decade and have yet to NOT FEEL AN IMPROVEMENT in shift quality after a oil change. It always gets smoother. Always. Even 30k old fluid isn’t performing @ 100% anymore.

Now sure, some transmissions handle it better then others, some fluids are better then others and driving style / conditions play a major role in how beat up the fluid gets, but the point is, if you want to maintain the car to factory spec, then there’s no such thing as an oil that is lifetime. LMAO!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.