2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 mazda 3 with manual transmission and 23,000 miles on it.

My rear brake pads are shot, with wear indicator whining loudly, and the rear rotors are nearly shot. However the front pads & rotors are fine...

Normally with my driving habits, in a wide variety of cars, I get 50-100k out of front pads, and 100-150k out of rear pads. So for the rear pads to be completely worn down in 23k miles is disconcerting.

I took it to autotire, and the dealership, neither has any explanation for why the rear pads wore out so fast. Both claim the brakes are not dragging as far as they can tell. The dealership of course is committed to the idea that I simply wore them out, ie: no waranty repairs.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Also, this model has an anti-rollback braking action specific to the manual transmission (prevents the car rolling backwards when stopped on a hill, for about 1 second, allowing you to transfer your left foot from brakes to clutch easily). I can't help wondering if this is somehow responsible?

Any thoughts? Advice?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yep, mazda's are tuned to apply braking to the rear first so you don't get the front end dip nearly as bad. Your rotors are fine. Just order new pads, and get the brake install kit from harbor frieght. Jack it up in the air. Replace brake pads. It's really about a 30 min job. You'll go through 2 or 3 rears for every front set. On the 2nd rear replacement go ahead and order rotors.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wow I had no idea of this. My forester has rear drums. I recently changed the shoes, but i'm convinced the brakes would have rusted into pieces before the shoes actually wore out. They were still pretty thick when we replaced them (and hardware).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup it is BS, I had to replace my Rear Brake Pads twice already at 34k and the dealership keep insisting my rotors have to be replaced and they cannot resurface the rotors because they will be too thin!! I call BS on that.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I call bs on the resurface being needed at all. I've noticed that the pads especially direct from mazda do not wear evenly in the back. It's a really easy job to do it yourself. Basically 200 bucks worth of tools and a 40 dollar brake pad kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts