2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I’m experiencing the infotainment boot loop issue. I remember the day perfectly, I was driving to Beverly Hills for work and everything was fine and dandy but then when I left to go home that’s when I noticed it kept rebooting. I have not modified any of the files.

Fast forward to today, My car does not have any warranty it’s at 92k miles, the dealer said it’s 140 just to touch it even though after further searching online it appears the CMU will need to be replaced. I tried calling the Mazda Customer service number and they literally said I HAVE TO purchase the 140 diagnostic and then start a goodwill petition to see if they can pay for anything. It’s sucks because there was a Reddit thread that said this issue happened in Boston and a dealer was replacing CMU’s to even those that don’t have a warranty.

I’d rather not give them a dime, I’m going to replace the CMU on my own . I have a strong background in IT and have taken my dash apart to paint some of the pieces.
So a few questions I had were, do I need to take my dash apart and extract the current CMU to see the part number and try to find one that’s exactly the same? Or is there a generic part number you guys can give me that will get me a working model.

Second question, after I swap CMU will the Navi not work? Tbh I don’t use it anyways but if I need the Sd card that was in the car I might try to go to the used car part store and buy both the Sd card and cmu.
Anything you guys can help answer will be appreciated.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you have a strong background in IT, I would suggest, that you try to fix your CMU accoring to this manual of raoulh. That might be the cheapest way, if it works.

If not, you still could think about buying a used CMU. But as there were some issues with older CMUs, I would suggest to buy a newer one only. Assuming you have a Mazda3 2014-2016, this would be CMU part no. BHP1-66-9C0N or later (last digit higher than "N"). You could e.g. search ebay.com for "BHP1-66-9C0*" - but most probably you will only find lower ones having the GPS issue from the TSB. See the attached TSB for details.

I would not buy the same CMU part no. you already have, as it obviously can brake.

After a CMU swap the Navigation will still work. USB hub and Navi SD-card do not have to be changed, if CMU is changed.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok guys I got a new display screen and CMU, do I need to unplug my battery to install the new CMU???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to thank everyone for their help. About a month ago I thought i was completely screwed when i got the boot loop issue.

On car parts website I was able to find a BHP1-66-9C0M + Screen for $145 shipped. I told myself, if i was replacing the CMU, I might as well install carplay, bought that for $150 shipped.

Dealer wanted roughly $1000 for new CMU and $500 for Carplay for a grand total of $1500.

I got away with spending $300 only. You guys rock. I couldn't have done it without you all.

Thank you thank you thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts