2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for about 3 months, the front end of my car has had a whistling noise that as become prevalent whenever I am at speeds above 20mph. It's silent otherwise. I have seen a few whispers of this same issue online but I have gotten nothing definitive on it yet. It just spent 2 weeks in the shop for this issue but they couldn't fix it.

Answers I have see related to it involve replacing the transmission (overkill) or cleaning or replacing the front diff seals. I have gotten really tired of it and I am about at the point where I want to trade it in for a subaru. But I love this car. Has anyone had this issue ad if so, how'd you fix it? I have an hour long commute so it annoys the bejeezus out of me.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Could it be caused by wind moving around or through something on the car?

If my car did this and driving me nuts, I'd try to find it by putting a little masking tape on any corner etc that possibly could cause it. On various vehicles through the years I've heard wind noise being caused by windshield moldings, baggage racks, windows, etc.

Best of luck finding it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope not aerodynamic. It happens over 20 mph and it sounds like it is a rotating component because it chirps. It does not vary with speed nor does it vary with braking or putting the car in neutral so it is something between the transmission and CV joints.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Are you all stock? can you safely raise the front of your car and get the trans moving?
Have you asked your local dealership about it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is all stock but I don't have a way to get it off the ground. I got the extended warranty and the dealer has had it twice now and has failed to hear the noise the first time and failed to fix the noise the second time. I am going to call back tomorrow. I really hope I don't have to go all lemon law on them though.

BTW: the noise is only present at speeds >20mph. if I am going slower, i get nothing. Something is making metal on metal contact between the tranny and CVs.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Sounds like it could be bearing whine. It's hard to say without more info.

I think this is another case of use your warranty. If the dealer isn't helping you talk to corporate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen one person online mention that greasing the right front axle seal fixed their issue. I almost want to say that is the area where the whistle comes from. Bearing whine makes sense but this is really high pitched, almost on the level of a dog whistle. I'm calling again tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have seen one person online mention that greasing the right front axle seal fixed their issue. I almost want to say that is the area where the whistle comes from. Bearing whine makes sense but this is really high pitched, almost on the level of a dog whistle. I'm calling again tomorrow.
Did you ever get this resolved?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts