2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. This is my first post here (other than the introduction) so excuse me if this isn't exactly the right place.
I am sure there's a ton of really good info out there for the Mazda 3 and what I want to do on this forum and I see the sticky with things other people have done.

I wanted to ask, out of curiosity, what everyone's kind of experience with certain tune-ups were and what they found was worth it/not worth it.

This is kind of a grocery list of what I want to do (that isn't simple/obvious)
1) Clean out my engine cylinder heads and such. I have lost some power and I heard that doing this might be helpful to fight carbon buildup. I live in California and regularly drive into the mountains so I wonder if there is just a huge amount of gunk in there.

2) Replace shocks/struts in the car. It's been about 100k miles and I haven't really messed with those. I have looked at them and they seem okay but I was wondering if it's worth it to switch them out and get new ones.

Other stuff includes things like brighter headlights (any recommendations?), an improved audio system (definitely going to spend a few hours in the audio section of the forum), and looking into those infotainment tweaks.

I am fairly new to car stuff. I understand the mechanics and parts of a car but I definitely have a lot to learn about the Mazda and just the inner workings of a car in general.

Hope this isn't too repetitive... Thanks y'all.

·
Super Moderator
5,200 Posts
1) Clean out my engine cylinder heads and such. I have lost some power and I heard that doing this might be helpful to fight carbon buildup. I live in California and regularly drive into the mountains so I wonder if there is just a huge amount of gunk in there.
If you mean carbon on the intake valves, just pull off the intake as have a look.

2) Replace shocks/struts in the car. It's been about 100k miles and I haven't really messed with those. I have looked at them and they seem okay but I was wondering if it's worth it to switch them out and get new ones.
Its waay past time....

Other stuff includes things like brighter headlights (any recommendations?
What headlights does your car have?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mean carbon on the intake valves, just pull off the intake as have a look.

Its waay past time....

What headlights does your car have?
I definitely should. I've just never done anything beyond switching out air filters and once changed my oil in the car so I am a little nervous to do anything more. I have a buddy who regularly works on his car so I think I'll ask him to give me a hand so I can take a look.

Yeah, I thought it would be past time to do it... I was thinking of picking some Koni.

I have the stock headlights. Nothing fancy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts