2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell, I own a 2015 Mazda 3 i sport 2.0 Skyactiv engine automatic with manual mode sedan model, and it has almost 45,000 miles on it. It will almost be a year since I bought it used. I have noticed that the transmission has a good kick to it sometimes from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th gear. It doesn’t do this all the time. Is this normal? Today I also noticed when I went out and moved my car in my driveway that when I put my car in Park and let off the brake the car budged forward a little. Driveway is on a very slight incline. I was able to get it to do this 2 times in a row. Then on the 3rd attempt to repeat this it rolled back a little and could here it catch the claw like it always has. Is this normal as well? Additional info. I, didn’t let car warm up. About 30 degrees outside. And cars rpms were higher due to being cold and trying to warm up. Didn’t know if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks!

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
These are the basic symptoms of a bad transmission.

1) Transmission slipping. If you're experiencing automatic transmission slipping, it can feel like you're driving in a certain gear and then it
2) doesn't switch gears
3) Rough shifts. ...
4) Delayed engagement. ...
5) Fluid leak. ...
6) Transmission warning light.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hell, I own a 2015 Mazda 3 i sport 2.0 Skyactiv engine automatic with manual mode sedan model, and it has almost 45,000 miles on it. It will almost be a year since I bought it used. I have noticed that the transmission has a good kick to it sometimes from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th gear. It doesn’t do this all the time. Is this normal? Today I also noticed when I went out and moved my car in my driveway that when I put my car in Park and let off the brake the car budged forward a little. Driveway is on a very slight incline. I was able to get it to do this 2 times in a row. Then on the 3rd attempt to repeat this it rolled back a little and could here it catch the claw like it always has. Is this normal as well? Additional info. I, didn’t let car warm up. About 30 degrees outside. And cars rpms were higher due to being cold and trying to warm up. Didn’t know if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks!
It should be still under the power train warranty (5/60). Take it in and have it diagnosed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hell, I own a 2015 Mazda 3 i sport 2.0 Skyactiv engine automatic with manual mode sedan model, and it has almost 45,000 miles on it. It will almost be a year since I bought it used. I have noticed that the transmission has a good kick to it sometimes from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th gear. It doesn’️t do this all the time. Is this normal? Today I also noticed when I went out and moved my car in my driveway that when I put my car in Park and let off the brake the car budged forward a little. Driveway is on a very slight incline. I was able to get it to do this 2 times in a row. Then on the 3rd attempt to repeat this it rolled back a little and could here it catch the claw like it always has. Is this normal as well? Additional info. I, didn’️t let car warm up. About 30 degrees outside. And cars rpms were higher due to being cold and trying to warm up. Didn’️t know if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks!
It should be still under the power train warranty (5/60). Take it in and have it diagnosed.
I have an oil change scheduled for tomorrow at the Mazda dealer and I'm going to mention something to them about it there. Mazda said its still under powertrain warranty until 60,000 or until the end of August of this year. Thank goodness because this stuff can get expensive. Is this a common problem with this car? I couldnt really find anything online with this model having transmission issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an oil change scheduled for tomorrow at the Mazda dealer and I'm going to mention something to them about it there. Mazda said its still under powertrain warranty until 60,000 or until the end of August of this year. Thank goodness because this stuff can get expensive. Is this a common problem with this car? I couldnt really find anything online with this model having transmission issues.
I don't think it is. I'm a research freak and looked long and hard before I bought my 2017 GT3 Auto/Sedan. Mazda still hasn't mastered the manual transmission, but automatics are flawless (almost, I guess). I question "lifetime" fluid in the auto, but time will tell. There are quite a few complaints about notchy shifting in the manual 3's and in Miatas. My 2016 Miata had the manual replaced at 20,000 miles because it was VERY notchy from 1 to 2 and it was almost impossible to get it into reverse at times. I've driven manuals since the 70's and decided to give an auto a chance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't know what you mean by a "kick" but I find it almost impossible to get a smooth gear change between 1st and 2nd on my manual mazda 3. Some people rave about Mazda transmissions, but they're no better or worse than any other car I've driven, certainly not as slick as our honda.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know what you mean by a "kick" but I find it almost impossible to get a smooth gear change between 1st and 2nd on my manual mazda 3. Some people rave about Mazda transmissions, but they're no better or worse than any other car I've driven, certainly not as slick as our honda.

Sorry it’s more of a jolt. When my car goes to shift you can feel it pull back and jerk or jolt forward. On when it shift from gear 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Mainly it only happens when it shift from 3rd to 4th. I went to the grocery store today and it didn’t do it. It doesn’t do it all the time. I have an automatic transmission that has the manual mode option. I keep it in automatic. Have never tested out manual mode yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
My 2016 Miata had the manual replaced at 20,000 miles because it was VERY notchy from 1 to 2 and it was almost impossible to get it into reverse at times.
As you probably well know, the early NDs have proven to have design issues with the 6sp manual and as result Mazda has replaced many of them under warranty with updated versions. The 1-2 grind is the most common symptom and in most cases the dealer will warranty the new transmission without question.
That being said the ND transmission is not the same as the Mazda 3 transmission so its comparing apples and oranges.

Can't say if I have ever had a problem that wasn't caused by me just missing the gear or not depressing the clutch far enough. When done properly all the gears seem to work very well and the transmission shifts pretty darn slick. The 5sp in my Miata is even better and has a very precise mechanical feel, but you better know where the gates are and how to find them or you will miss the shift.
The other problem is the clutch. It takes some getting used to but when you do get it figured out it works really well.
I have seen some people who think a manual transmission should be mushy and vague, and changing gears just means pushing in the clutch and move the stick "somewhere over there" and expect the gear change to happen by itself. When they drive a car with a good accurate manual box the first reaction is "wow, why can't I get it into gear without it jumping or grinding". Practice, practice, practice.

As to the original problem, has the transmission been serviced at all, new fluid and filter? If its shifting hard you should get it looked at. Thats not really normal.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Yup, the 1 to 2 shift problem. True, Honda doesn't have this issue and neither do other manuals I've driven. I'm not a Mazda thumper....I love many things about Mazda's, namely the engines and interiors. But come on, Mazda......nail the manual transmission and you've got it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As you probably well know, the early NDs have proven to have design issues with the 6sp manual and as result Mazda has replaced many of them under warranty with updated versions. The 1-2 grind is the most common symptom and in most cases the dealer will warranty the new transmission without question.
That being said the ND transmission is not the same as the Mazda 3 transmission so its comparing apples and oranges.

Can't say if I have ever had a problem that wasn't caused by me just missing the gear or not depressing the clutch far enough. When done properly all the gears seem to work very well and the transmission shifts pretty darn slick. The 5sp in my Miata is even better and has a very precise mechanical feel, but you better know where the gates are and how to find them or you will miss the shift.
The other problem is the clutch. It takes some getting used to but when you do get it figured out it works really well.
I have seen some people who think a manual transmission should be mushy and vague, and changing gears just means pushing in the clutch and move the stick "somewhere over there" and expect the gear change to happen by itself. When they drive a car with a good accurate manual box the first reaction is "wow, why can't I get it into gear without it jumping or grinding". Practice, practice, practice.

As to the original problem, has the transmission been serviced at all, new fluid and filter? If its shifting hard you should get it looked at. Thats not really normal.
I, have never had the transmission serviced. I'm getting an oil change today, and I'm going to mention something to them about it. I will report back with what they say/find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Mazda dealer checked out my transmission and all is good. No errors in the computer and the fluid is in good condition. I think i was causing the issue myself. I noticed if I'm not putting much pressure on the accelerator and babying it, I will get a jerk sometimes. When I am more aggressive with the accelerator it shifts smooth. I read about that on another thread due to the way something is curved dealing with the transmission. Anybody know anything about this?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The Mazda dealer checked out my transmission and all is good. No errors in the computer and the fluid is in good condition. I think i was causing the issue myself. I noticed if I'm not putting much pressure on the accelerator and babying it, I will get a jerk sometimes. When I am more aggressive with the accelerator it shifts smooth. I read about that on another thread due to the way something is curved dealing with the transmission. Anybody know anything about this?
You could be correct. When you lift your foot off the accelerator, it will cause your transmission to shift. Some use this as a trick to get it to shift when you want it to.

You could be hovering right over a shift point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Transmission has started acting goofy again. Today it jerked pretty good for me 2 times in the morning and a few times after work. Haven’t been letting my car warm up as much since the weather has been getting warmer and wonder if that has something to do with it.
Don’t know how I feel about this car. It’s noisy. It seems to make a weird random noise everyday.
The dashboard cracks and rattles every now and then. I can hear a piece of plastic rolling around in there.
I have some rattle/air noise coming from my suspension. It’s really faint.
Sometimes the car feels like it has power and sometimes it doesn’t.
I have a loud roar sound when on the highway. Dealer said it was splash guard. I think it’s something else like the one rear muffler.
I hate to say it but I miss my 1996 Chevy Cavalier.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine sometimes exhibits a little bit of a jerk between first and second, or second and third (2015 auto), when it hasn't had a chance to warm up. It has done this since new, and has not gotten any worse. I searched online and found others reporting the same behaviour, so I just assume it's a characteristic of this transmission. Once warmed up, it's very smooth.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Are you sure that it's not just the engine management system holding the gears lower until the exhaust cats warm up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been letting my engine fully warming up until the blue temperature light shuts off and the transmission does shift very smooth from the get go. The transmission must need time to get warmed up in that process as well.

I'm really enjoying the car and it is a lot better than the 1996 Chevy Cavalier I had. The car is built a lot lighter and there is more road noise that enters into the cabin. Now that the weather is warming up I cant wait to start getting that great gas mileage again. Computer was saying in the summer I was getting 48 MPG on a 24 mile highway commute. Hope to start getting that again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Was having the same issue with my 2017 mazda 3 2.0. Just took to mazda dealer today. They said that the battery must have died at some point from sitting at the dealership that I bought it from as they had a replacement battery in it. It was under warranty still. the tech said he felt the hard shifts and that it was not normal. He re-flashed the tcu and now it shifts like new.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Was having the same issue with my 2017 mazda 3 2.0. Just took to mazda dealer today. They said that the battery must have died at some point from sitting at the dealership that I bought it from as they had a replacement battery in it. It was under warranty still. the tech said he felt the hard shifts and that it was not normal. He re-flashed the tcu and now it shifts like new.
This is one great thing about driving manual. I am the computer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts