2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife took off for work this morning just to come back 3 minutes later with the TPMS and DCS/TCS malfunction on.

She parked the car running in the driveway, I got in, pressed the break pedal in and couldn't get it to shift into drive.

I checked the tire pressure, all 4 were at where I topped them off to last time. I tried pressing the reset tpms light, that didn't do anything. I unplugged the battery for an hour, got back in, tried scanning the car with my $20 odb2 wifi reader, that didn't tell me much, but the I at least I cleared the codes for the time being.

Everything I was able to find on the internet regarding "TPMS and DSC/TCS malfunction" on a 2015 Mazda 3 points to the break or stoplight switch.

The only thing, or 4 things that are left are abs/wheel sensors. Anyone have an ODB2 reader they could recommend that will read abs codes? Preferably in the $100 range?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
You can buy a code reader on ebay that connects to your laptop for pretty cheap. I've noticed that codes can randomly pop up from time to time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For over a month now I have been getting 3 warnings coming up, TPMS, SCBS and TCS. It was 1 or 2 times a week, now about 3 or 4 times a week.
But in my case it clears when I turn the ignition off.
Mazda dealer said it is condensation/precipitation on the screen upsetting the forward facing camera of the SCBS system.
I tried talking to Mazda UK and they said take it back to the dealer!
I said I wanted it in writing and got the following email.

Thank you for contacting us in relation to the Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) lights coming on intermittently. If the camera is blocked by being misted up, the screen being dirty or in heavy rain etc. then the warning lights do illuminate. In addition the Auto headlamp and Lane departure warning system (LDWS) warning lights may come on. This is, at present, normal operation. The system does need to alert the driver if the camera function is not able to monitor correctly so extra vigilance and awareness is needed by the driver. This light comes on for information only.

On a Mazda6 or Mazda CX-5, instead of a warning light, a message appears in the Multifunctioning Information Display (MID) to say the camera is blocked. This is not currently possible on the Mazda3 or Mazda CX-3 Instead a warning light will illuminate. We are aware, any warning light can cause concern and for this reason Mazda Corporation are working on the potential for a software update for the Instrument Cluster (IC) to tone back the malfunction message in the MZD connect screen, to one which is similar to what is shown in the Mazda6 and Mazda CX-5. We do not have any specific timing for this for if and when this will be available.

If there is anything else I can do to help, please feel free to reply to this email or call me on 03457 48 48 48.

Yours sincerely,
Emma Seal

Customer Relations Manager
Customer Service Division

The dealer said it can be worse when the sun is low in the sky. I pointed out I have had the car for 2.5 years and it had not happened in the previous spring or autumns.
My warranty runs out next month so I'm sure they will find a fault after that.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The dealer said it can be worse when the sun is low in the sky. I pointed out I have had the car for 2.5 years and it had not happened in the previous spring or autumns.
So at this point it goes without saying to keep it all documented. Obviously they read to you from the manual but your situations are random and short lived. I've had mine go on, on a few occasions but I was aware of specific road conditions, fog, heavy rain, etc. which clearly caused it and then they went off few minutes later. Mazda is known to repair things after warranty, but then they may give you the part(s) for free but make you pay labor. This doesn't seem to be a common issue on this thread or among the thousands of owners so push for the repair now.

Also, if I recall correctly, for 2017 they switched from radar to camera as the camera is suppose to be more responsive.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
For over a month now I have been getting 3 warnings coming up, TPMS, SCBS and TCS. It was 1 or 2 times a week, now about 3 or 4 times a week.
Mazda dealer said it is condensation/precipitation on the screen upsetting the forward facing camera of the SCBS system.

Thank you for contacting us in relation to the Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) lights coming on intermittently. If the camera is blocked by being misted up, the screen being dirty or in heavy rain etc. then the warning lights do illuminate. In addition the Auto headlamp and Lane departure warning system (LDWS) warning lights may come on. This is, at present, normal operation. The system does need to alert the driver if the camera function is not able to monitor correctly so extra vigilance and awareness is needed by the driver. This light comes on for information only.

On a Mazda6 or Mazda CX-5, instead of a warning light, a message appears in the Multifunctioning Information Display (MID) to say the camera is blocked. This is not currently possible on the Mazda3 or Mazda CX-3 Instead a warning light will illuminate. We are aware, any warning light can cause concern and for this reason Mazda Corporation are working on the potential for a software update for the Instrument Cluster (IC) to tone back the malfunction message in the MZD connect screen, to one which is similar to what is shown in the Mazda6 and Mazda CX-5. We do not have any specific timing for this for if and when this will be available.

If there is anything else I can do to help, please feel free to reply to this email or call me on 03457 48 48 48.

Yours sincerely,
Emma Seal

Might want to get yourself an extended warranty before the factory runs out. Just saying. Mine paid for itself in stupid things like that. Got the infotainment screen replaced, seat mechanical replaced twice. Both were very expensive and gave me a rental car for a week.

·
Registered
637 Posts

Yours sincerely,
Emma Seal

I have a 2017 UK Mazda 3 which uses the camera for smart braking. Be aware there are various smart braking systems using various sensors (camera / radar)- which do you have? The SCBS warning light did come on once at dawn whilst driving into the sun but soon cleared by itself (without turning off the ignition). I've since kept the area around the camera clean and had no further warnings despite driving in rainy conditions. I don't see why you are getting multiple warning lights when I only got a single SCBS light which cleared itself. A few months ago I had a false TPMS warning light in very wet weather which was probably due to minor aquaplaning causing differential wheel rotation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What are the codes? Clearing codes without understanding what is going on is useless.
Cleared the codes, but Mazda had me covered and had them pop right back up.. Used my cheap WiFi ODB2 scanner, with the EOBD-Facile app, and it's P0504 looks like it's "P0504 Brake Switch A/B Correlation DTC" Looks like it might be the break switch? I ordered one on Amazon and should be here today.

Oh and here's a picture of the Christmas tree on the dashboard -

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might want to get yourself an extended warranty before the factory runs out. Just saying. Mine paid for itself in stupid things like that. Got the infotainment screen replaced, seat mechanical replaced twice. Both were very expensive and gave me a rental car for a week.
Seriously. x2 on the extended warranty

Had it on my truck, it paid for itself within a few shop visits. Need to get it on my Mazda.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

Got a similar problem to this.

My Engine System Management, Dynamic Stability Control, Tire Pressure Management System and Smart City Brake Assist Malfunction lights have all come on. Took it to the garage who claimed it was the brake light switch but they tried to charge me £60 to fix it. Told them I can get the part myself for £10 so I've bought and replaced the switch but the warning lights are still on. Do they need resetting (and if so, how? Tried unplugging the battery) or could it be something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
After numerous occasions of just the 3 amber warnings, TPMS, SCBS and DSC I started to get an engine check light. Using my OBD2 reader I got the code P2118: "Throttle Actuator Control Motor Current outside limits". I cleared it and it came back a couple of days later. I delayed taking it the garage as this was two days before I was travelling by ferry to Spain. I felt it would allow me to take it to a different dealer. I did check it would still be covered by the warranty. On arriving in Spain I contacted Mazda breakdown, explaining I was on holiday and had the engine management light on, they booked it into a dealer in Granada, who diagnosed "the body that houses the butterfly" OK so his English was better than my spanish. Being a 2.2 diesel I was confused that it had something that sounded like a petrol carburetor, but on looking it up there is one.
I have only had the car back a couple of weeks (but so far) (fingers cross) (touch wood) no warnings........................

With hindsight 4 or 5 months before the warning lights there was another symptom, some mornings on starting the car the revs would sit at 1500 to 1800
for 3 or 4 seconds compared to my normal 1100 to 1200 like having the choke on. I mentioned it to the dealer but he launched into explaining that the car could do this to heat the catalytic converter etc etc. I tried to explain that I have driven for 50 years and owned this car for two years and this was not normal... but gave up and just walked out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2017 mazda 3 sport sedan 42k miles.
New tires put on and alignment check done. Right after alignment check both DSC and TPMS lights came on. Took back to people who checked the alignment. Reset no lights.
Drove 50 miles, lights came back on. Both warning lights.
Took to discount tire who did the tires. Checked tire pressure and reset. Tires are perfect and alignment is perfect. 500 miles on tires.
Today lights keep coming on and off. I live in Phoenix, no inclement weather.
Anyone else have this problem. I'll keep driving it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts