2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just got done adding LED corner markers, and LED drill's, and HID Headlights. What a difference... left picture before and after on headlights, middle picture LED DRL (picture does not do them justice) and right picture LED corner markers.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Care to post what you purchased? looks great

SIDE MARKERS- T10 LED
HEADLIGHTS-H11 6000K HID (BOUGHT WIRING HARNESS KIT)
DRL- 24W 9005 LED BULBS

I RAN A RELAY FOR THE DRL AS WELL.... HOPES THIS HELPS :laugh2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the post! I'm thinking of something similar for my build. Still a little hesitant to move everything over to LED's, so I like your mix of HID and LED.

·
Super Moderator
5,977 Posts
Thanks for the post! I'm thinking of something similar for my build. Still a little hesitant to move everything over to LED's, so I like your mix of HID and LED.
Nothing wrong with LEDs. New designs are just as good or better that the halogens. That and HIDs will burn out the reflector material in the halogen boxes too.
You seem to have a 3iS so this applies to your car assuming it still has the OEM halogen headlghts.

From an earlier post:

The 9005 LEDs can function as both if done properly. Its not plug-and-play. There is an extension needed for the wiring harness and a ballast resistor has to be added to the system. The whole plug and play kit you can get from iJDMtoy. Its easy to install and works well. This is what I used-
Acura Honda Lexus High Beam LED Daytime Running Lights Decoder Modules
You want the R1 conversion kit.

In addition to the harness extension, you need the correct bulbs. Not any 9005 will work. It has to be the correct length so the light emitters are at the same height in the reflector box as the halogen filament. I have these in both 9005 and H11 version-
H4 H8 H9 H11 9005 9006 LED Headlight Bulbs Replacement

Proper size 6000K 9005 bulb from iJDMtoy, Sylvania 9005 halogen, typical 9005 LED bulb:

Note the difference in placement and height of the LED emitters vs the halogen filament. The bulb on the left focuses properly in the reflector, the bulb on the right does not focus at all.
The bulb shown on the left also needs to be placed properly in the housing. As the reflector is not round but rectangular, the emitters need to be at 90° and 270° from vertical (on the sides not on the top and bottom) so the beam will focus.

Some quick pics of the results-

high beams:

low beam:

cut off line:
The headlight bulbs used are the ones in the link to iJDMtoy, 9005 version for the high beams, H11s for the low beams.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is there a D4S led replacement for the HID bulb. would like more light for the wife. I tried 3 different HID bulbs, all nice but all same Lu mins/brightness so no help.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
You can try to fit an H11 LED in there. I did that in my 2016 ST3 that had halogen lights and it worked well.

arathol posted a link to the bulbs I bought in the previous page of this post. They are from iJDMToy.

You may get a small improvement over the HID lighting, if any, but they made a huge difference over the halogen bulbs.
CK

·
Super Moderator
5,977 Posts
Is there a D4S led replacement for the HID bulb. would like more light for the wife. I tried 3 different HID bulbs, all nice but all same Lu mins/brightness so no help.
Yes there is. Google it, lots of options. This one has several power levels to choose from-
D4S LED Headlight bulbs D4S LED Conversion Kits

I would do some research as to quality and performance before choosing any particular bulb though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes there is. Google it, lots of options. This one has several power levels to choose from-
D4S LED Headlight bulbs D4S LED Conversion Kits

I would do some research as to quality and performance before choosing any particular bulb though.
Thanks for the link. I have been searching and d4s comes up light with options, I did not know other sizes/names were interchangeable. These three I tried, while frankly are quite nice bulbs with great color, did not give the 80 or 100% more anything, maybe 10 percent more visibility on the road at best so was quite similar to stock. If I can find a LED that gives markedly more vision on the road, I will be satisfied.

These were all in the 50 dollar range for a pair, there was one with a similar promise, but a 100 dollar price tag each bulb. Did not pull the trigger that.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the link. I have been searching and d4s comes up light with options, I did not know other sizes/names were interchangeable. These three I tried, while frankly are quite nice bulbs with great color, did not give the 80 or 100% more anything, maybe 10 percent more visibility on the road at best so was quite similar to stock. If I can find a LED that gives markedly more vision on the road, I will be satisfied.

These were all in the 50 dollar range for a pair, there was one with a similar promise, but a 100 dollar price tag each bulb. Did not pull the trigger that.
The Osram CBI is the only bulb I'd recommend from there. Super worth the money. Just buy from a reputable source to ensure they're not counterfeit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are the 2017 halogen projectors the same as the 2015/16? I'd like to get these LEDs in the previous page for mine ASAP. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,977 Posts
Check your owners manual. As long as you have 9005 bulbs for high beams, H11s for low beams and you get the adapter harness it will work fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts