2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my biggest pet peeves has been the deception with advertisement of fully lit LED HALOS.

I was told to see this video today of changes to the 2015 Headlights. I am also certain this is comming and if so, I will gripe and B-itch to the end to ger my lights replaces. Fully lit Halos, not just a partial glow, would make the front look way better, a mass difference. But due to US cost cuting, tarrifs you know, they left out led and made the headlights cheaper.

Look at this video at 4:28, and this is under studio lights. This is the EURO version. oh and folding mirrors too.

Auto Focus - 23/02/2014 - The New Mazda 3 2015 - YouTube

People notice this, it looks like a section is out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
yup...just like the bmw halo lights...
It would be great if we can get this, but it would mean changing out the whole assembly unit, which i doubt mazda will do under warranty...

·
Registered
355 Posts
One of my biggest pet peeves has been the deception with advertisement of fully lit LED HALOS.

I was told to see this video today of changes to the 2015 Headlights. I am also certain this is comming and if so, I will gripe and B-itch to the end to ger my lights replaces. Fully lit Halos, not just a partial glow, would make the front look way better, a mass difference. But due to US cost cuting, tarrifs you know, they left out led and made the headlights cheaper.

Look at this video at 4:28, and this is under studio lights. This is the EURO version. oh and folding mirrors too.

Auto Focus - 23/02/2014 - The New Mazda 3 2015 - YouTube

People notice this, it looks like a section is out.
You know I totally agree with you that our Halos are too dim, but, I'm not convinced that the halos in that video are any different from what we have.

I'm pretty sure the video camera still over exposes the halos in that video, you have to understand that Cameras don't show exactly what the eye would see if it was there in real life, even with the studio lights on...

The picture you posted in that other thread is very deceiving, but that may just be how the camera saw it. Which sucks for us because it tricks us into think that it is better than it is....

Also, isn't that still just the 2014 mazda 3 in that video? I doubt they finished the 2015 3 already...

I don't know if you saw the pictures posted in your other thread, with the guy who took apart the headlight, I don't think they would really redesign the headlight just for the US....

Still, it is total bullshit that we don't have bright halos, I agree with you there, but I'm not convinced that Europe has something better than what we have....

EDIT:
Also, my 2014 mazda has folding mirrors.. what? you don't have them?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
In the video the car is parked and just has its parking lights on. I'm pretty sure when the DRL is on the halo will still be the same brightness (or dimness) while the strip will turn full brightness. Just like how the car is right now. This is how mazda designed it, same as the 6 with the LED DRL. Honestly I still don't see what the big fuss is about lol Most likely in pictures and stuff the car is in park so the DRL is not showing and just the parking lights on giving it a more uniform look, but is it really that big of a difference or that bad that it bugs you that much?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Honestly I still don't see what the big fuss is about lol Most likely in pictures and stuff the car is in park so the DRL is not showing and just the parking lights on giving it a more uniform look, but is it really that big of a difference or that bad that it bugs you that much?
It's really not that big a deal to me, but I do wish it was brighter and looked like the pics make it look.

But the fuss is about how it looks dim and burnt out compared to the DRLs since the DRLs are so bright when they are on, and the halo doesn't get any brighter.

Compared to a BMW Halo, it looks like a cheap piece of junk.

You can see how its brighter on the inside.

Now, one of the guys actually took it apart in the other thread and now we know why it is so dim, here is the pic:

They used only 2 LEDs and a fiber optic tube, they aren't Halos at all, its just a cheap fiber optic tube spreading light around.

That's what the fuss is about, I would have been willing to pay the extra $100-$200 for some nice angel eyes.... but mazda took the cheap way out :taz: :death:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's really not that big a deal to me, but I do wish it was brighter and looked like the pics make it look.

But the fuss is about how it looks dim and burnt out compared to the DRLs since the DRLs are so bright when they are on, and the halo doesn't get any brighter.

Compared to a BMW Halo, it looks like a cheap piece of junk.

You can see how its brighter on the inside.

Now, one of the guys actually took it apart in the other thread and now we know why it is so dim, here is the pic:

They used only 2 LEDs and a fiber optic tube, they aren't Halos at all, its just a cheap fiber optic tube spreading light around.

That's what the fuss is about, I would have been willing to pay the extra $100-$200 for some nice angel eyes.... but mazda took the cheap way out :taz: :death:
thank you great post... that is what i needed. It is just to dim to look cool. 4 leds placed around would be better.

i tried the parking and no difference. BMWs have a high powered one at the top that glows even all around.

thats cheezy but i think they will fix this in the future, lots of complaints about this.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't think that video's has anything different from our car, it looks exactly the same if you ask me. All the press shots and video's of our car showed brighter halo's as well. It's when you see it in person that you can see how it really ends up looking. But my guess is Mazda won't change anything much for 2015.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Well I don't think this is really an issue that will make mazda change it lol On the 6 it looks like that too, and so does the cx-9. I'm pretty sure if the new cx-5 or other mazda cars that gets this LED treatment, it'll probably look the same since it's part of mazda's design and not bmw. I guess the only way to mock the bmw angel eyes is DIY jobs.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well I don't think this is really an issue that will make mazda change it lol On the 6 it looks like that too, and so does the cx-9. I'm pretty sure if the new cx-5 or other mazda cars that gets this LED treatment, it'll probably look the same since it's part of mazda's design and not bmw. I guess the only way to mock the bmw angel eyes is DIY jobs.
Yea, they probably won't change it cause it's not that big a deal.... but then what the issue becomes is that they are being deceptive when they advertise a picture like this:

Even if they didn't do it intentionally, since the camera probably took the picture like that. Its just not an accurate representation of how the headlight looks in real life.

And I doubt they will change the Ad either, sooo theres not much to do but fix it yourself...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think I'm going to drive down to Texas to ORACLE Lighting and just tell them to have fun, my warranties be damned. Not only am I getting some bright halos, I'm going to get colored ones, and I'm willing to throw money at them to make it not look like individual LEDs like you see on Camaros.
I'm getting CCFLs or Plasmas, whichever looks better and brighter as a solid ring; SMDs are for chumps. B-)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yea, they probably won't change it cause it's not that big a deal.... but then what the issue becomes is that they are being deceptive when they advertise a picture like this:

Even if they didn't do it intentionally, since the camera probably took the picture like that. Its just not an accurate representation of how the headlight looks in real life.

And I doubt they will change the Ad either, sooo theres not much to do but fix it yourself...
And to top things off, not a single one of the advertising images show the car's true ride-height or wheel gap. If I had known that I was going to be getting an 'offroader' I would have shopped elsewhere. It wasn't a detail I noticed until like a week after I got my car and I've thought that my car looks terrible ever since.
I can fit my whole damn fist in between the tyres and the car.

False advertising.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

The thing is, that picture has the parking lights on and not the DRL.

This is a closer representation to what the parking lights look in real life...

I just think a lot of the media has it showing the parking lights rather than DRL.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Isn't there a simple fix where we could just pull the fuse for the DRLs and just turn our parking lights on? ...or is it more complicated than that?
I mean, if you do that, it should make it so that the shoulder/eye-brow LEDs don't get brighter when you shift out of park.

I mean, no one will ever notice you have any lights on since the halos are dim as ****, but it would still be better than having randomly brighter LEDs.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Isn't there a simple fix where we could just pull the fuse for the DRLs and just turn our parking lights on? ...or is it more complicated than that?
I mean, if you do that, it should make it so that the shoulder/eye-brow LEDs don't get brighter when you shift out of park.

I mean, no one will ever notice you have any lights on since the halos are dim as ****, but it would still be better than having randomly brighter LEDs.
Yea, that's half of what makes it look retarded.... we have these super bright "lines" of LEDs, that I think look good, but then they lead into a Dim circle... which is just idiotic....

its like, "oh man that could be really cool, oh wait, they fucked it up and took the cheap way out..."

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The thing is, that picture has the parking lights on and not the DRL.

This is a closer representation to what the parking lights look in real life...

I just think a lot of the media has it showing the parking lights rather than DRL.
Are u saying parking makes the whole leds brighter. So driving with the parking looks better, mmmm going to see

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Are u saying parking makes the whole leds brighter. So driving with the parking looks better, mmmm going to see
No I mean that the car is already parked and has parking lights on so the lights look uniform. If your car is parked and you turn on the parking lights that's what it'll look like (above pic). That's how most of the media pictures were taken. When you start to drive the DRL comes on and the top LED strip will get brighter while the halo stays the same as the above pic. If you turn on the parking lights while driving you won't notice any difference since the DRL will still be on. Only when you have low beams on will the DRL bar dim back to the same brightness as the parking lights while in park. Hope I don't sound confusing lol

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
No I mean that the car is already parked and has parking lights on so the lights look uniform. If your car is parked and you turn on the parking lights that's what it'll look like (above pic). That's how most of the media pictures were taken. When you start to drive the DRL comes on and the top LED strip will get brighter while the halo stays the same as the above pic. If you turn on the parking lights while driving you won't notice any difference since the DRL will still be on. Only when you have low beams on will the DRL bar dim back to the same brightness as the parking lights while in park. Hope I don't sound confusing lol
I'm at work so I can't look in the manual atm, but how exactly do you turn on the parking lights?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts