2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I've been on this forum ever since I bought my 3 looking for various mods and the one that I've been particularly waiting on is the fog light mod, using the fog lights independent of the headlights. I finally figured out how to do it.

Please try this only if you're comfortable with the instructions. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your car.

You will need a low profile mini fuse tap & a 12v relay. I purchased mine from Amazon. You will also need wire along with male & female spade connectors.

1. Remove the upper & lower steering column cover to expose the light switch stalk and remove the stalk.

2. Locate the brown wire under the clear cover and pull it out of the connector. Reinstall the clear cover.

3. Reinstall the light switch stalk with the brown wire hanging out.

4. At this point I'm going to use the "front outlet" fuse in the fuse box by the driver's side kick panel. It's a 15A fuse at the bottom of the fuse block that has 12 volts supplied only when the ACC or engine is on. Connect your fuse tap to this fuse location. Run a wire from the brown wire of the fog switch to #86 of the new relay ("E" in my hand drawn diagram below). Run a ground wire to #87 ("C" in my diagram). I used a bolt on the telescoping steering wheel adjustment lever (fyi - if you use the same bolt, the bolt turns opposite of a normal bolt. Lefty tighty, righty loosey) for ground. Connect #85 ("A") to the 15A fuse tap. The wire going through the firewall will be connected to #30 ("D).

5. Run a wire through the firewall. This wire will be used to activate the fog light relay located in the engine compartment fuse box. Below is a picture of what I'm trying to do at this point.

6. I made 3 small pigtails with a female spade connector on one end and male spade connector on the other end. These are used to connect 3 points of the original fog light relay to its connectors in the fuse box (the pics will probably make more sense).

7. Connect the wire coming through the firewall to #86 ("E") of the original fog light relay.

8. If you've wired everything correctly, reconnect the negative battery terminal and test. The fog lights should only come on with either the accessory or engine and will turn off when everything else is off. Having the headlights or high beams on will not affect fog light operation.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great write up. This workaround does not seem as easy as some other vehicles.
BTW This should be posted at the 2014 electrical section i'm sure it will help more people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you. It took some time, patience and testing before I actually committed to it.

Yeah, I posted into the wrong section and didn't realize it until after I had posted it. I just sent a PM to the administrator so hopefully this will get moved soon.

·
2015 Mazda3 sGT
37 Posts
I don't quite understand the relay part in the fuse box with the 2 pigtails... So you disconnected the original fog light relay because you needed access to one of the prongs for the wire coming through the firewall? Do you have any pics of the installed relay at the fusebox showing what it should look like after it's done?

Also, sounds silly but can you explain in simple terms what this is doing electrically? Like how is it tricking or bypassing the car in order to turn on the fogs...

·
2015 Mazda3 sGT
37 Posts
I tried this mod today even though I wasn't too sure of all the steps but I managed to figure it out. Works like a charm. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This is great! But I think too complicated for me to do. :( I bought a kit for my two Tiburon's and did it and that was easy. This is more work that I can't do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry guys, I haven't been on the forum for a little while. @aZhu, I'm glad you were able to figure it out without any additional help or pics from me. @leela222, this was the simplest way I could wire up the fog lights without cutting any wires and without extensively trying to figure out where the ground wire from the fog light relay was located inside the cabin.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congrats on figuring this out, but I don't think I'm willing to tackle it...a bit too complex for me.

I miss the old days with my VW Golf where I could connect a cable from my laptop to OBD2 port and use VCDS software (by Ross-Tech) to modify any electronic behaviors of the car. Is there no such product for modifying Mazda's?

·
Registered
71 Posts
It can only turn on once the headlights are on.
Thanks for replying. That stinks. They should at least work with only the parking lights as well. Sometimes bad weather visibility is best mitigated by fog lights WITHOUT bright white headlights, especially fog and snow. I'll definitely be doing this mod.

·
2015 Mazda3 sGT
37 Posts
Thanks for replying. That stinks. They should at least work with only the parking lights as well. Sometimes bad weather visibility is best mitigated by fog lights WITHOUT bright white headlights, especially fog and snow. I'll definitely be doing this mod.
Yeah I was annoyed at that too. This mod seem intimidating to me at first but it turned out not to be that hard. Good luck! Make sure to post some pics once you're done :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
It can only turn on once the headlights are on.
It's even worse than that. There's no indicator on the dashboard for the foglights, so you don't even know they're on except by looking at the switch position on the stalk, which is kinda hard to see since it's behind the steering wheel spoke. I'm not sure what Mazda was thinking here.

Strangely, I think I saw a post somewhere here that said there is an indicator on the dash for the foglights, but only Euro-spec models actually enable it. The US model omits it.

We should compile a list of differences between all the models in different markets (US, EU, AUS, JDM, etc.), and set up a parts exchange so people in one market can buy parts from other markets.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's even worse than that. There's no indicator on the dashboard for the foglights, so you don't even know they're on except by looking at the switch position on the stalk, which is kinda hard to see since it's behind the steering wheel spoke. I'm not sure what Mazda was thinking here.

Strangely, I think I saw a post somewhere here that said there is an indicator on the dash for the foglights, but only Euro-spec models actually enable it. The US model omits it.

We should compile a list of differences between all the models in different markets (US, EU, AUS, JDM, etc.), and set up a parts exchange so people in one market can buy parts from other markets.
Isn't there some after market software available that can tap into the car's ECU/BCU via the OBD2 port and modify these settings? Most European brands have such a thing available (I had it for my VW), but I haven't seen any for Mazda.

·
Adele
11 Posts
So if headlights are set to the OFF/AUTO position and the fogs are set to the ON position, the fogs will still be on?

·
2015 Mazda3 sGT
37 Posts
After doing this mod, If the car is on accesories mode is the fog light ON?
Yes the fog lights will come on even when in ACC mode. The mod taps into the cigarette lighter power so as long as you can use that, the fog light can turn on. This means in ACC and in ON mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the AUS modeL Mazda 3 and as far as I can remember you can turn on the fog lights if the parking lights are on. But alas it is illegal in Australia to use fog lamps if there is no fog! Beat that!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts