2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So theres this youtube video: https://youtu.be/SuexiG4aYR4

Its a 2011 M3 2.0L, they put on a Corksport catback system with a racepipe. I love that sound and how loud it is. I see that Corksport doesnt offer a racepipe for the 2015 M3.

I am wondering if its possible to buy the catback for the m3 and then mod it and have a racepipe added. Is there a huge issue why this wouldn't work if I take it to an exhaust shop for this?

That car just sounds so sick and I really want my gen3 to sound like that!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
I'd call and ask Corksport. They may have a test pipe laying around or be willing to fab one up for a Gen 3.
CK

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd call and ask Corksport. They may have a test pipe laying around or be willing to fab one up for a Gen 3.
CK
I'll give them a call! I just thought I'd ask here if there was some obvious change between generations that made race pipes incompatible with the 2014+ ones.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'll give them a call! I just thought I'd ask here if there was some obvious change between generations that made race pipes incompatible with the 2014+ ones.
Is the race pipe the piece after the mid pipe? Does it just not have mufflers on it or?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
These guys were so in over their heads on this install...

I loved the part where one guy was cutting off bolts with sparks flying and two feet away the other guy was spraying arasol lubricant...

If I understood him correctly..He has a resonator where the cat was and a straight pipe connected to that, instead of a muffler, that connects to the exhaust tip.

It's similar to the gen 3 CS catback system, except they have mufflers for their axle back system after the midpipe.

I'm gonna stick with an axle-back..as I'm worried about losing low end torque by deleting the 2nd cat. I think you only gain 1-2 HP by deleting the 2nd cat anyways...not worth the risk IMO.
CK

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is the race pipe the piece after the mid pipe? Does it just not have mufflers on it or?
I believe (but very well could be wrong) that a racepipe replaces the mid pipe, which is where, I think, Corksport's resonator is on the cat-back exhaust.

I loved the part where one guy was cutting off bolts with sparks flying and two feet away the other guy was spraying arasol lubricant...

If I understood him correctly..He has a resonator where the cat was and a straight pipe connected to that, instead of a muffler, that connects to the exhaust tip.

It's similar to the gen 3 CS catback system, except they have mufflers for their axle back system after the midpipe.

I'm gonna stick with an axle-back..as I'm worried about losing low end torque by deleting the 2nd cat. I think you only gain 1-2 HP by deleting the 2nd cat anyways...not worth the risk IMO.
CK
Lol, yeah but that sound tho, lol.

So it seems that I am wrong in that the racepipe replaces the mid pipe? I think the Corksport midpipe is where the resonator is which I think deletes the second cat. So to replicate this I should get the cat-back system and then have a muffler shop do a muffler delete?

It seems maybe they did not have a racepipe then?

EDIT: At 11:20 in the video I think that front part is the racepipe. And they seem to have the resonator thats on the Corksport cat back, definitely no muffler on it. But looking at the install instructions for the Corksport catback system on the 2014+ I think the midpipe installs straight to the downpipe. So I'm not sure where a racepipe would even go? lol

Maybe just having a muffler delete on the 2014+ catback system would do the trick in getting the sound they had?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts

CK
You should check out these guys - "Myth Busters of Car mods"

https://youtu.be/xwNtjKT_1cA

·
Registered
134 Posts
I believe (but very well could be wrong) that a racepipe replaces the mid pipe, which is where, I think, Corksport's resonator is on the cat-back exhaust.

Lol, yeah but that sound tho, lol.

So it seems that I am wrong in that the racepipe replaces the mid pipe? I think the Corksport midpipe is where the resonator is which I think deletes the second cat. So to replicate this I should get the cat-back system and then have a muffler shop do a muffler delete?

It seems maybe they did not have a racepipe then?

EDIT: At 11:20 in the video I think that front part is the racepipe. And they seem to have the resonator thats on the Corksport cat back, definitely no muffler on it. But looking at the install instructions for the Corksport catback system on the 2014+ I think the midpipe installs straight to the downpipe. So I'm not sure where a racepipe would even go? lol

Maybe just having a muffler delete on the 2014+ catback system would do the trick in getting the sound they had?
I wouldn't suggest spending 750$ on the catback if you're only going to modify it through a muffler shop. Since you know what you want, just go to a reputable exhaust shop in your area and tell them what you want. I would suggest keeping all the piping the same diameter as stock as not to lose any torque. The corksport catback doesn't result in a loss of torque from what I've read from the many people who have installed one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't suggest spending 750$ on the catback if you're only going to modify it through a muffler shop. Since you know what you want, just go to a reputable exhaust shop in your area and tell them what you want. I would suggest keeping all the piping the same diameter as stock as not to lose any torque. The corksport catback doesn't result in a loss of torque from what I've read from the many people who have installed one.
Sounds like that might be the better option!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
Yes, the CS midpipe on their cat-back exhaust system has a high-flow performance resonator where the cat was. They advertise that it can add 10 HP to the 2.5L engines. Unfortunately, they advertise similar gains for their axle-back exhaust system...

It would be nice to have some actual numbers to compare the difference between OEM, their axle-back and their cat-back systems.

CS Dyno Day is coming up pretty soon.. maybe they can post up some results for us.
CK

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, the CS midpipe on their cat-back exhaust system has a high-flow performance resonator where the cat was. They advertise that it can add 10 HP to the 2.5L engines. Unfortunately, they advertise similar gains for their axle-back exhaust system...

It would be nice to have some actual numbers to compare the difference between OEM, their axle-back and their cat-back systems.

CS Dyno Day is coming up pretty soon.. maybe they can post up some results for us.
CK
Exactly. Not beating on them or anything but why not go the extra step and actually show before/after dynos for both engines as well as with or without the midpipe. Seems like it would only help sell a product if we could see the hard numbers.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
Or you could be that guy at 5 AM who likes stomping on the gas... You know... to say GOOD MORNING! >:)
CK

Morning commutes suck..gotta find smiles somewhere.

Reactions: MrBen

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Or you could be that guy at 5 AM who likes stomping on the gas... You know... to say GOOD MORNING! >:)
CK

Morning commutes suck..gotta find smiles somewhere.
A loud muffler is better on a motorcycle and on a car a cop knows your flooring the gas:surprise:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts