2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My battery died recently, I have it on a charger, but I'm going to have to replace it sooner than expected. I was hoping you guys could help me with a few things:
1. I've heard some rumours that the OEM unit might be AGM (I don't want to take it out to shake it around), but it doesn't say anything on the top. Is this true/likely?
2. I've always been under the impression that modern batteries are maintenance free, but this has two rectangular vent caps, which makes me wonder if it's low maintenance instead?
3. The only info on the battery is GR 35 PEDD, 20HR 65Ah RC118 MIN CCA 520 (SAE). According to some parts sites, the Mazda part number is
0000-80-0035-WB which doesn't seem to be sold anymore. The maintenance manual tells me it's a 75D23L, which seems to have some variation in specs.
4. Does anyone know of a place that will ship a battery to me in Canada? I can't go anywhere because a member of the household is immunocompromized and I haven't had much luck so far.

EDIT: The battery was toast, I bough an Odyssey AGM. It seemed to work, but was dead (6.5V) after a week today. I subsequently discovered that I had my items (dashcam, phone charger) plugged into a non-switched outlet, so I'm going to assume that's what discharged it. I've got it on the charger now and I'm going to check for parasitic draws once it's charged. The output voltage ranges between 13.2V (at idle when hot) and 13.8V at city speeds according to my ScanGauge. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very strange situation in Canada indeed.
The battery is pretty standard, it's EFB (not AGM) battery for cars with start-stop systems, as far as i can tell (i've got the 2017 Japan Axela with i-stop.)
Europe catalouge says it's YUASA Q-85 GS (95D23L).
I would buy any good quality EFB and forget about it. :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I agree with just buy a good quality battery and forget about it. Unless you're willing to spend the high price for a lithium ion, there's not a lot to gain.

Any reason you're set on the OEM? Supposedly you can tell who made the battery by the top of it...go Google for some images. There's only something like 3 companies that make standard car batteries.

For a good bang for the buck I've done well with the Walmart special. I've heard good things about Costco but I don't shop there myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very strange situation in Canada indeed.
The battery is pretty standard, it's EFB (not AGM) battery for cars with start-stop systems, as far as i can tell (i've got the 2017 Japan Axela with i-stop.)
Europe catalouge says it's YUASA Q-85 GS (95D23L).
I would buy any good quality EFB and forget about it. :)
Yeah, the Q-85 is for the i-Stop, which I don't have
I agree with just buy a good quality battery and forget about it. Unless you're willing to spend the high price for a lithium ion, there's not a lot to gain.

Any reason you're set on the OEM? Supposedly you can tell who made the battery by the top of it...go Google for some images. There's only something like 3 companies that make standard car batteries.

For a good bang for the buck I've done well with the Walmart special. I've heard good things about Costco but I don't shop there myself.
I don't necessarily want the OEM part, but I want the same specs. This is the first car I've had with such sophisticated electronics, and I'm concerned about the wrong battery causing issues with computers and such.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Edit: After three days of being on the charger, my existing battery doesn't seem interested in going above 11.2 volts. I'm using a tiny 1 amp charger, but that should only slow the process, not stop it at a certain level. I've decided to buy a battery from Odyssey Canada, because they're the only ones I could find that had batteries in stock and would ship it to me. I'm convinced that the existing battery is too badly damaged to bother with.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My 2015 battery died after three years. Yours has outlived most batteries at six years. Hope the new one does as well for you.

I live in a hot climate near the Gulf of Mexico. I think that's what cut mine so short.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It's often said that you can't expect a battery to last longer than 3 years. If you get more, hey cool. Mine went 5 years before showing signs of weakening. I load test my batteries because I don't want to get stuck. It means I do replace my batteries a little early, but I'm good with that over getting stranded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2015 battery died after three years. Yours has outlived most batteries at six years. Hope the new one does as well for you.

I live in a hot climate near the Gulf of Mexico. I think that's what cut mine so short.
I agree, but I don't think it's the original, I bought the car CPO at a dealership and I believe they replaced the battery, so it's only like 2 years old. It died because it's been sitting in the driveway as I work from home.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree, but I don't think it's the original, I bought the car CPO at a dealership and I believe they replaced the battery, so it's only like 2 years old. It died because it's been sitting in the driveway as I work from home.
a smart battery charger (noco, ctek) might be able to revive it

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
a smart battery charger (noco, ctek) might be able to revive it
Why bother? Unless his charger is broken the battery is obviously on its way out. It's no longer reliable and can't be trusted. Save the money on the charger and get the new battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why bother? Unless his charger is broken the battery is obviously on its way out. It's no longer reliable and can't be trusted. Save the money on the charger and get the new battery.
You're right, the battery was absolutely sulfated. But I forgot to replace my last charger after I destroyed it, so I had to get one anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts