2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of the fuses in the engine compartment fuse box switched with engine or accessory power? I bought a fuse tap of the appropriate size, but I couldn't find a switched fuse when I was probing with my multimeter. I bought a set of led DRLs that need accessory power (for switching only, no current). I was going to tap it off the fuel pump fuse, as I assumed it would be on when the engine was running (I want these to run day or night), but it appeared to be hot all the time. I could probably tap off one of the relays but I would prefer to use a fuse if there is a switched one. Any got advice on a good place to tap accessory power? Somewhere that won't require splicing the stock wiring.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Are any of the fuses in the engine compartment fuse box switched with engine or accessory power? I bought a fuse tap of the appropriate size, but I couldn't find a switched fuse when I was probing with my multimeter. I bought a set of led DRLs that need accessory power (for switching only, no current). I was going to tap it off the fuel pump fuse, as I assumed it would be on when the engine was running (I want these to run day or night), but it appeared to be hot all the time. I could probably tap off one of the relays but I would prefer to use a fuse if there is a switched one. Any got advice on a good place to tap accessory power? Somewhere that won't require splicing the stock wiring.
check some of the other LED threads. A forum member posted about tapping into fuse #43 or something like that which acts as the equivalent as an accessory wire. It's either in an LED headlight thread or the LED new fog lights thread near the last page.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I took a second look today and it looks like the 3 15A engine fuses are switched. There's a little delay after shutting off the engine, so I may have missed them first time around. I think I'll use the tap on one of these.

·
Registered
578 Posts
barqers is speaking of the Engine Ignition fuse. I use it to power my LED Fog covers. Its on when the car is on and off when it car is off, and there isn't any delay after shutoff.

·
Registered
323 Posts
barqers is speaking of the Engine Ignition fuse. I use it to power my LED Fog covers. Its on when the car is on and off when it car is off, and there isn't any delay after shutoff.
That's the one, I couldn't remember which thread had the diagram and fuse # in it - sorry! :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all

Hawk, I did tap the ignition fuse. I'm going to leave it there for now, but I think the slight delay on the 3 engine fuses is the same as the headlight delay when you shut the engine off without turning the lights off (haven't confirmed this, just a conjecture). So, I may move it there later. Which covers did you get? That's actually why I did this little project.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-White-Daytime-Light-2014-2015/dp/B00S11U76M[/ame]
I'd say it was a decent product. Used silicone to touch up the weatherproofing just a bit. They were a bit difficult to get to snap in (snug) and the fitment isn't great. That I am a little disappointed on, but I wasn't expecting parts from China to be perfect and It's nothing you'd notice without looking really close. My only major concern is whether these things are going to be too bright at night.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks all

Hawk, I did tap the ignition fuse. I'm going to leave it there for now, but I think the slight delay on the 3 engine fuses is the same as the headlight delay when you shut the engine off without turning the lights off (haven't confirmed this, just a conjecture). So, I may move it there later. Which covers did you get? That's actually why I did this little project.

Amazon.com: GOOACC 2x White Tube LED Daytime Day Fog Light DRL Run lamp For Mazda 3 Axela 2014-2015: Automotive
I'd say it was a decent product. Used silicone to touch up the weatherproofing just a bit. They were a bit difficult to get to snap in (snug) and the fitment isn't great. That I am a little disappointed on, but I wasn't expecting parts from China to be perfect and It's nothing you'd notice without looking really close. My only major concern is whether these things are going to be too bright at night.
Yea the ones you got leak light on the edges slightly. I got these and there's a thread just about fog light covers too if you're interested, it covers your fog light cover, mine and 2 others if I remember correctly: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-appearance-interior/83442-new-foglights.html

Attachments

Reactions: wayfarer

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I went with different ones as Hawk mentioned and mine were a perfect OEM fit, just like Hawk's are.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both looking good! I wish I would have seen that thread earlier. I love the c shape, but if the fitment on yours is better (I had to use a fair amount of pressure) I probably would have went that route. I did actually look at both of those and went with mine purely for aesthetic purposes (no offense, beauty is in the eyes of the beer-holder). I haven't noticed the light leaking but it probably is. A little black silicone will fix that but I shouldn't have to mess with it... uhhhh

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
They all look great. Like you said you bought what you wanted and liked, as I did and Iceman and Hawk did. It's great to see all three of these lights out there and installed. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I definitely like the matte black material and the c shape. But, the tight fitment alone would cause me to reconsider these. I'm not worried about them falling out, but I really had to struggle to get them in place. I believe both of you said yours snapped right in? That coupled with the leaking light (what I saw wasn't nearly as bad as the image in the other thread, but it was there) would make me inclined to advise other readers to go with the company you two bought from (iJDMtoy I think it was, at least on Amazon). But, these are an option if you're willing to do a little more legwork.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yeah they pretty much snapped in. I had a little trouble on the driver side but it was all good after a couple of tries.

Also what I liked about mine was that I could connect to battery with them not staying on 24/7. I will eventually add a tap though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait, you didn't have to add a tap? They turn on and off with only power and ground? That being the case, they must measure the voltage to detect when the alternator kicks in. Thats... pretty cool...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yep! They showed 2 ways to install..via an ACC fuse or direct to battery. I didn't have a tap and at the time I didn't want to strip the red wire and wrap around a fuse blade. I am pretty sure this Summer, I will change it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd highly recommend others go that route then, that's really straightforward. Any particular reason you want to change your setup?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can confirm that the 3 engine fuses have a slight delay after the engine is shutoff. It's a bit longer than the default delay on the headlights, maybe a minute at most. I like the effect and I think the drain on the battery will be negligible, so I have moved my LED's accessory power there.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have a slight delay hooked to battery. I wanted to change because I thought it would be better. Would it? I am not good with things like this.

My delay is about 7 seconds..I timed it..LOL. When I lock and unlock twice is when it happens.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The delay on the engine fuses is about 50 seconds. When you shut your engine off, you can here a high pitched whine for a few seconds after then engine stops. When it stops is when the lights will go out.

That's interesting leela. I'm not sure how it detects a lock or unlock with just power and ground. Even if it could detect the additional power drain of the mechanism, I don't know how it would distinguish a lock from an unlock.

I think whether it would be better is just a matter of preference. If your current setup consistently turns the lights on and off when you want them on or off, you're good. If it's buggy or you'd rather have them tied to engine power you might want to tap accessory power from a fuse. The ignition fuse will turn the lights on when the engine is on and off when the engine is off. The Engine fuses will turn the lights on when the engine turns on and off 50 seconds after the engine turns off. Hope that helps. Basically, if you're happy with the way it works now I wouldn't change anything, but you've got options.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have had no issue with my setup. :) thanks @wayfarer you have been very helpful!

·
Thecatbite
12 Posts
They make a switch that connects directly to your battery. All you is tap headlights. Headlights off, DRL on full, headlights on, DRL's 30%. Key off, DRL's turn off. Easy install.:surprise:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts