2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I must say that was one sweet looking car. Stopped at the Mazda dealer to pick up an oil filter for my 08 Mazda and spotted a 2014 Mazda3 sGT with the Almond Leather interior. I was impressed and the interior looked very high end.

MSRP was $27k which seemed steep for an economy sedan but the options is what added to the costs. Is the $800 delivery, processing and handling fee a standard thing on all these cars?

How good is the white leather on these cars? Hard to keep clean? How is the wear & tear?

·
Registered
352 Posts
$800 isn't outside the realm of reality depending on where you are.

I love the two tone leather, but it's only available on a very select few sGT cars-- no other model has the leather and many sGT colors can't be optioned up that way.

The 3's not the cheapest b-segment car, but it's also the opposite of the worst ;)

The 3GT can graze $30k with every factory option, but that's taking the tech package all the way out to include lanekeeping, radar cruise, iEloop, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The price is very justified for the tech. available for it.

What car in this segment and in this price range could have all the following
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Blind Spot Monitoring
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Forward Collision Warning
- Smart Brake Support (Auto Brake)
- Heads Up Display (basic one though)

Honestly this car is so ahead of its time, that all affordable compact cars manufacturers will strive to include those techs in their cars' future generations, otherwise, they wont be able to compete.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yup, I wished they had the almond interior for the white hatch, not sure why the 6 has it for their white but not the 3 =/

Just curious, I hear a lot of people saying this car is expensive for an economy car. What really defines an economy car anyways? A small cheap car that gets great gas mileage? I guess the mazda3 is an economy car with the base model and a more premium car with the higher trims?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, it depends on comps. It's a C-segment car on the largish side for C-segment (cars get fatter over time, anyway.)

So what are the comps?

If you agree the Elantra, Corolla, Sentra, Cruze and Forte are comps, then yes, it's expensive.

I just don't think any of those are actually comparable.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yup, I wished they had the almond interior for the white hatch, not sure why the 6 has it for their white but not the 3 =/

Just curious, I hear a lot of people saying this car is expensive for an economy car. What really defines an economy car anyways? A small cheap car that gets great gas mileage? I guess the mazda3 is an economy car with the base model and a more premium car with the higher trims?
I will take a guess and say it depends on what options are available when manufacturing it, for example, you cannot get a newer passat with a MT and a sunroof. You either get a 6sp with no sunroof or if you go with the auto/dsg you get the option of a sunroof. Its messed up, I love the look of the 2 tone but am a clean freak and would drive me nuts if there happens to be a stain that does not happen to come out. lol

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mazda doesn't need to take lessons from anybody with regards to weird options packages...

There's no way to get leather without a moonroof on any model, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. In an SUV, if you don't want a moonroof* you can chalk it up to "meh that's the price you have to pay" but in a midsize or smaller car, it's a headroom issue for lots of folks, including me.

I'll take an old-school sunroof or those frigging awesome canvas sunroofs (had one long before Fiat made them popular again stateside) but a moonroof steals too much headroom.

I get that the loaded top-end model will be... loaded... but most of the other packages are inflexible in weird ways.

*Old school: Sunroofs are just glass panels in the roof that can be popped up for ventilation and sometimes slid back along the outside of the roof. They're also typically removable and may or may not be power. A moonroof is a power unit that retracts into the roof itself. That added thickness is the problem. I mention it because the term is starting to be synonymous now that nobody does actual sunroofs anymore, basically.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always throught a sunroof wasn't glass, so you had to actually open it to see through it. A moonroof is a glass window, so you can still see through it even with it closed (for example: At night when it's cold but you don't need the shade). So when you don't need shade, like when the moon is out at night, you can still have is "open" in the sense you can see through it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
*Old school: Sunroofs are just glass panels in the roof that can be popped up for ventilation and sometimes slid back along the outside of the roof. They're also typically removable and may or may not be power. A moonroof is a power unit that retracts into the roof itself. That added thickness is the problem. I mention it because the term is starting to be synonymous now that nobody does actual sunroofs anymore, basically.
Though nowadays "Sunroof" is the common term for any type, technically a sunroof is the style where the "lid" is non-translucent (metal like part of the car's roof) that can open in some fashion. A "Moonnroof" is any lid that is translucent even when closed. A moonroof that slides into the car is an "inbuilt" style while the kind that slides out of the car usually at a tilted angle is called a "Spoiler" style.

I know all of this because I had to research it when I put an aftermarket moonroof into my S-Touring. I actually opted for the Spoiler type because of the headroom savings, and because it makes the car look sportier with it open. On the negative side, it only opens a little more than halfway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts