2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop manual says to remove the bottom stud to take off a rear shock. That stud only has a small 8mm head on it, and that thing won't come loose. I'm sure I could get it off if I destroy it, but I'd rather not.

Will the bottom of the shock slide off the stud without removing it?

You can see the stud in this diagram from the manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
You need to take the two upper bolts off as well. The Corksport lowering springs Install sheets show it better.

Here is what i did though, (1) remove all three nuts (2) Compress the strut downward (3) use a rubber mallet to ease the strut off the lower stud.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks! I hope I never have to take off that stud. I wonder why Mazda says to remove it? The top two nuts are really easy.

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
You need to remove the stud because its a lot easier to get the shock off the car that way. More often than not you can't just slide it off. I used a pneumatic impact to remove them. Having them out made it far easier to swap the shocks. If they have not been out before, you might want to free them up and put some never seize on them now just in case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The torque spec for the stud is low so I expected it to break free fairly easily. Car isn't too old. Maybe I'll give it another try. Problem is that stud doesn't appear to be available as a replacement online. Dealer can probably get it.

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
The torque spec for the stud is low so I expected it to break free fairly easily. Car isn't too old. Maybe I'll give it another try. Problem is that stud doesn't appear to be available as a replacement online. Dealer can probably get it.
I bet you can replace it with a standard sized metric bolt of the right length. It would make things a lot easier.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I bet you can replace it with a standard sized metric bolt of the right length. It would make things a lot easier.
I would agree if you took the stud out getting a replacement bolt would make things so easy.
I have taken my rear shocks off multiple times. i just slide it off the stud and call it a day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna try sliding it off first, because if that works I'm set. But at least I have a good back up plan. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do you remove the nut

How did you remove the nut on the bottom of the shock?
I've been seeing youtube videos and they make it seem so easy. Maybe they are all 2nd gen?

Here's my problem:
I can't fit the impact wrench to remove the nut because the spring is in the way.
I took a couple of pictures with a dog-bone wrench to indicate the nut. Tried doing it with a dog-bone and a mallet, but it's not budging.

https://imgur.com/a/Y1HWgZO

Is something out of alignment in my suspension that is causing the spring to be in the way?

·
Registered
219 Posts
How did you remove the nut on the bottom of the shock?
I've been seeing youtube videos and they make it seem so easy. Maybe they are all 2nd gen?

Here's my problem:
I can't fit the impact wrench to remove the nut because the spring is in the way.
I took a couple of pictures with a dog-bone wrench to indicate the nut. Tried doing it with a dog-bone and a mallet, but it's not budging.

https://imgur.com/a/Y1HWgZO

Is something out of alignment in my suspension that is causing the spring to be in the way?
Remove the springs, well I removed mine, make it easier, slides struts out with no problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts