2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Provided here are the PDF instructions for the 2014+ OEM Aero Kit,
With provided templates for front and rear lips.

For anyone who needs it, or curious as to how hard installation is.

Notes:
- If you're not willing or comfortable drilling 2 holes into the front bumper, and 6 holes and cut into the rear bumper, I suggest having dealership, or an auto body shop do it for you.

- CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN the areas where the double stick tape will be adhering to.
The tape has strong adhesion, but if you've applied any products to places like the black part of the rear bumper, the tape will NOT stick.
The 3M Adhesion promoter is not included, but is highly recommended.

- The rear reflectors have to be extracted from your rear bumper. Full cutout extraction, not just removing the reflector and putting it on the diffuser.
Again, if you're not comfortable doing this, I suggest having someone do it for you.

Downloads:
Front Lip - Front Lip - Download - 4shared
Side Skirt - Side Skirt - Download - 4shared
Rear Diffuser - Rear Diffuser - Download - 4shared

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Wow, i feel like that was kind of a design screw-up with the whole having to cut your bumper apart. I mean i know it isn't exactly something you would just take off a few months down the road but still. Especially because aren't you just cutting it out to get to the self-tapping screw holding it to the original bumper?

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, i feel like that was kind of a design screw-up with the whole having to cut your bumper apart. I mean i know it isn't exactly something you would just take off a few months down the road but still. Especially because aren't you just cutting it out to get to the self-tapping screw holding it to the original bumper?
Kind of.
In a way, it looks nicer since the reflector sits flush inside the diffuser, but I agree, the design is flawed.
Maybe they should have made the bottom plastic removable from the bumper in order to install the diffuser in place of it?

You aren't cutting it out to remove the self tapping screw. The diffuser is indented in where the reflector sits, so it's a reflector hole itself. You just happen to move the deflector to the new location by swapping the screw.

·
Registered
159 Posts
OP, I appreciate you taking the time to explain the process for others interested installing the aero kit themselves. I plan to do this DIY soon as well. I think the front/sides will be pretty simple to do. I have couple of the questions regarding the rear diffuser installation.

1. Are you required to trim any other part of the bumper or is the trimming only required to remove the reflectors from the oem diffuser?
2. Did you use a dremel to trim that area?

I just want to make sure I know everything I will need before I try to tackle this on a weekend. I have all the parts that arrived earlier this week. Hopefully I can squeeze in the install this weekend.

Thanks in advance for your advice/help.

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP, I appreciate you taking the time to explain the process for others interested installing the aero kit themselves. I plan to do this DIY soon as well. I think the front/sides will be pretty simple to do. I have couple of the questions regarding the rear diffuser installation.

1. Are you required to trim any other part of the bumper or is the trimming only required to remove the reflectors from the oem diffuser?
2. Did you use a dremel to trim that area?

I just want to make sure I know everything I will need before I try to tackle this on a weekend. I have all the parts that arrived earlier this week. Hopefully I can squeeze in the install this weekend.

Thanks in advance for your advice/help.
No problem.
The sides are stupid easy, start there, it'll get you comfortable. Just pop off the caps, push the skirts into place, pull the tape and stick em on.
Just make sure you clean all the parts where the adhesive tape will adhere to.
Fronts should be next, take the time to drill 2 holes properly, and make sure to attach the metal brackets in the front. Very straight forward.

Onto the rears...this is the scary part.
You really only have to extract the reflectors and drill 6 holes into the rear bumper.
I suggest using a high speed air cutting tool, but anything that can cut will work. I used an exacto knife (took me a while)
Drilling out the 6 holes, I suggest widening them out to maybe 1/4"
Use the templates as best you possibly can, those holes must be dead on accurate.

Be careful with the tow hook covers, they are differentiated between left and right.
If you don't put them on properly and make sure they are flush with the diffuser, you could have them pop off while driving.

Reactions: J2S2M

·
Registered
159 Posts
No problem.
The sides are stupid easy, start there, it'll get you comfortable. Just pop off the caps, push the skirts into place, pull the tape and stick em on.
Just make sure you clean all the parts where the adhesive tape will adhere to.
Fronts should be next, take the time to drill 2 holes properly, and make sure to attach the metal brackets in the front. Very straight forward.

Onto the rears...this is the scary part.
You really only have to extract the reflectors and drill 6 holes into the rear bumper.
I suggest using a high speed air cutting tool, but anything that can cut will work. I used an exacto knife (took me a while)
Drilling out the 6 holes, I suggest widening them out to maybe 1/4"
Use the templates as best you possibly can, those holes must be dead on accurate.

Be careful with the tow hook covers, they are differentiated between left and right.
If you don't put them on properly and make sure they are flush with the diffuser, you could have them pop off while driving.
I really appreciate the recap of the detailed instruction. This will definitely help me out during the install. When cutting into the rear to extract the reflectors, is there any wiring or harness behind them that I should watch for? Or can I just hack at it with my dremel?

I am pretty excited about the aero kit! Can't wait to slap everything on over the weekend. :smile2:

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate the recap of the detailed instruction. This will definitely help me out during the install. When cutting into the rear to extract the reflectors, is there any wiring or harness behind them that I should watch for? Or can I just hack at it with my dremel?

I am pretty excited about the aero kit! Can't wait to slap everything on over the weekend. :smile2:
No electricals
You can even crawl under the car to see what you're in for.
Only thing to watch for is the bumper frame goes right up to the deflectors, so be careful when cutting on the side closer towards the center of the car.

Also, I suggest leaving a bit more space on the top of the deflector when cutting, as an adhesive adheres there as well.
You might notice you may have to cut a larger hole than the template gives you, just use a dremel to widen up the hole.

Reactions: J2S2M

·
Registered
159 Posts
I managed to install my aero kit (front, sides, and rear) this past weekend. Everything turned out great but I had one more question regarding the rear reflectors on the diffuser. Did you reuse the tapping screw which was extracted from the original bumper? or did you use the new machine screw which was included in the aero kit? I just threw on the tapping screws back on thinking I was supposed to reuse them. However at the end of the install, I had 2 machined screws left over from the hardware kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to remove and paint the oem rear skirt with gloss black. How do i remove it from the rear bumper tomake it easier to paint? Is it obvious howit comes off?

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to remove and paint the oem rear skirt with gloss black. How do i remove it from the rear bumper tomake it easier to paint? Is it obvious howit comes off?
If you're talking about the plastic part of the rear bumper, it doesn't come off at all.
Your best bet is to remove the rear bumper itself.

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone have a copy of the rear diffuser instructions? Seems 4shared took it down, thanks.
Seriously Mazda? C'mon now.
These are just instructions and are handed to the customers after install anyways.
There's no copyright anywhere on any of the pages.

I'll host it, and PM anyone who needs it.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of the rear diffuser instructions? Seems 4shared took it down, thanks.
LOL! I wonder if they got a cease and desist letter. What malicious intent or infringement could possibly be going on here?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seriously Mazda? C'mon now.
These are just instructions and are handed to the customers after install anyways.
There's no copyright anywhere on any of the pages.

I'll host it, and PM anyone who needs it.
Hey Kenny can you PM me the side and rear instructions please?

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everyone PM'ed
If you haven't received it, please feel free to message me again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
can you pm me the instruction for the rear diffuser plz, thx

Also question, is the rear diffuser added on top of the black plastic part of the bumper? how much did you pay to have it install if anyone did.

I got rear ended this morning, now the black plastic part got screw dented hole from the car that hit me, as well as some scratches. so im thinking getting this diffuser to cover it up or have to replace the whole bumper since that part doesnt come off

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts