2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Mazda3 bit the dust this past week, and I'm doing some car shopping. There doesn't seem to be a plethora of Mazdas in my area.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 2014 Mazda6 i Sport AT with about 121,000 miles and Tuesday I'll be looking at a Mazda3 HB i Sport MT with about 119,000.

The 6 is a private sell and is listed at the lower end of the KBB range, while the 3 is at a small dealership and about $1500 more than the 6 (though I think they will negotiate a bit).

Assuming they are both in great condition mechanically and otherwise, what is everyone's opinion on the 3 vs the 6?

I've predominantly driven manuals and definitely find the AT less fun, but also wonder about the reliability of an AT vs MT.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hav a 2017 Mazda6 Sport which I generally like but (for me) I need to improve some things... like smoothen-up the shifting of the 6MT, and improve bottom-end torque. I hav 'real low miles so I am a poor person to ask re problems encountered (zero prbs, BTW).

If it were me, I would go for the "3" because it has the 6MT... but only if I drove it from bone-cold and satisfied myself that the 2nd gear synchro is not "knackered".

From a conservatively-minded perspective - if the synchro's and untoward bearing noises (hot and cold) check out - the worst that could happen is that u need a new clutch... versus a $5,000 new automatic transaxle. YMMV :) .

Aside from transmission, a finger in the tailpipe check (wet with oil?) and if you really want to be super particular - a cylinder leakdown check would be nice. Dealer may not be able to do a leakdown test (may not even know what it is)... A std. compression test is better than nothing...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I own a 3sGT with the 2.5MT. It’s loads of fun, especially with the Eibach ProKit lowering springs. But it’s tight one space, or so the kids are starting to tell me. They’re 8 and 5 years old, and I’m 6’2’’.

I’d swap my 3 for a 6 GT with AT tomorrow morning, and then lower that one too.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I just drove a loaner 2019 3 HB with the preferred package.. it was much easier for DD and family use.

Didn't have to worry about scraping..traffic was easier..more space..

I'm so glad to have my car back though.
CK

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes, I should have directed my comments to you.

The Mazda6 is not gigantic... adequate for my needs. I think you'd find the Honda Accord (current generation) a bit larger. They have a fairly compelling package with the 2.0T with 6MT... if you still want a 6MT.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, I should have directed my comments to you.

The Mazda6 is not gigantic... adequate for my needs. I think you'd find the Honda Accord (current generation) a bit larger. They have a fairly compelling package with the 2.0T with 6MT... if you still want a 6MT.
I saw a review about it, supposedly the 6MT isn’t up to Honda’s standards.

If the 6 had AWD, I’d jump on it. In the meantime, I’ll wait and enjoy the 3. Still paying for it ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
You have a growing family? Neither car will work all that well for you IMHO. Especially the 3. I have one 10 year old son and he is already complaining about the back seat in my '18 3GT 2.5 manual. Going back to your original thread question... it all depends on what you want. You should be able to get a killer deal on either car with over 100K on the clock. If you want to go for economy and longevity with the least amount of money going towards maintenance, the manual tranny can't be beat. Period. It will last the longest. Clutches are cheap and should last 100K if driven normally. I guess most of us here are not normal!

I hate to say it, but with a growing family you may be a candidate for a bigger "gasp" SUV or wagon. As a 6'3" guy myself, I can tell you that you will find the 3 to be a bit tight. However, it is an absolute blast to drive and the handling is amazing for an economy car. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm a 5'3" female, so I'd guess either will feel fairly roomy to me. And a growing family really isn't in the plans.

I drove the 6 on Sunday. It has hail damage that wasn't obvious in the photos (was also not specified in the ad) along with some scrapes. Otherwise, everything else seemed clean and well maintained.

I'm looking at the 3 today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts