2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was just wondering if I could get your opinions on this. I think I've narrowed down what vehicles I want at the 25k range. I know the two vehicles listed aren't exactly the same class but they are at the same price point. The features seem to be similar. The Mazda has slightly more passenger space and better fuel efficiency. The Acura would come with a little bit of premium prestige. I am looking for an automatic transmission. The vehicles I'm comparing is a 2014 mazda3 sedan gt versus a slightly used 2009 and up Acura tsx with tech package.

Any thoughts or comments are welcomed! Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi
Have you personally test driven both vehicles?

FWIW, the used acura would probably retain its value longer (being used and an acura).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only test driven the 3 so far. It drives well. Feels right at home and very similar to my RSX. Slightly less stiff, very VERY good turning radius and comfortable drivers seat. I believe it's slightly more quiet than my RSX as well (which is a plus). Definitely digging the blind spot monitoring too.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I really like the 09+ tsx and the engine is really responsive with great acceleration. Ride seems smoother and quieter than the mazda3 as well. My friend has got a 2012 tsx loaner while his TL was getting work done and I got to drive it around. Nice car but overall the mazda3 feels more nimble and easier to toss around the corners. Acura tends to hold their value very well. Can't go wrong with either.

I too like the blind spot monitoring/cross traffic alert on the mazda3. Plus you get LED tail lights, LED drl and turning bixenon headlights on the sGT it's really nice to have. Don't think the tsx has these features even with the tech package.

·
Registered
244 Posts
184hp vs 201 hp with the Acura having more but with lower fuel economy. However its not that much more. Breaking it down the acura is .058hp/lb vs .0613hp/lb. Also with a 2001 your warranty is going to be much more limited if not non-existent.

Here is a detailed comparison of features and statistics.

TSX vs Mazda 3 Comparison

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The 2009 Acura is now 5 years old. When any car gets beyond 5 years, you are going to get increased maintenance costs. With a 5 year old car, how well it has been maintained is also an issue. With the Mazda, you're going to have significant depreciation the first couple of years. So it depends on your priorities. If you value ride and quality over newer technology, mpg, and lower maintenance, choose the Acura. As for me, I wouldn't buy a 5 year old car unless it was a classic. If the Acura was only 2 years old with the tech package, I might choose it. Otherwise, it would be the 3. Besides, the Mazda is going to be more fun to drive while the Acura will be quieter, give a better ride (with less road feel) and be more luxurious.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
TSX is nice, but old and used.

fresh brand new car with up to 40MPG? with a way more comfortable interior.

hands down mazda.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I owned a 2010 TSX I4 AT with Tech package. Looking back, to me it's overpriced compared to what you get. It's a much heavier car. It feels heavier and big when it drives, yet the interior room is very comparable to the 2014 3. The 3 is much more nimble and quicker, yet gas mileage on the 3 is also about 7 mpg better on the same commute.

Overall the Tech options on the 3 have equalled and surpassed the TSX for the most part. The only thing I can think of that the TSX has that the 3 lacks is memory seats, which I do miss in the 3. The 3's user interface with the command knob is much easier to use than the TSX's wall of buttons.

Maintenance costs on the TSX will be higher long term, due to pricier Acura dealers as well as more specific required maintenance with the timing belt on the Acura that the 3 doesn't have. The one thing the TSX will have is better resale, as Honda/Acura and Lexus are clearly the kings of resale among the Japanese manufacturers. Mazda suffers in resale in comparison, even though the 3 does hold it's value better than any other Mazda product.

I'd take a 3S GT over the TSX, even if the prices were the same on both as new models.....

·
Registered
244 Posts
I owned a 2010 TSX I4 AT with Tech package. Looking back, to me it's overpriced compared to what you get. It's a much heavier car. It feels heavier and big when it drives, yet the interior room is very comparable to the 2014 3. The 3 is much more nimble and quicker, yet gas mileage on the 3 is also about 7 mpg better on the same commute.

Overall the Tech options on the 3 have equalled and surpassed the TSX for the most part. The only thing I can think of that the TSX has that the 3 lacks is memory seats, which I do miss in the 3. The 3's user interface with the command knob is much easier to use than the TSX's wall of buttons.

Maintenance costs on the TSX will be higher long term, due to pricier Acura dealers as well as more specific required maintenance with the timing belt on the Acura that the 3 doesn't have. The one thing the TSX will have is better resale, as Honda/Acura and Lexus are clearly the kings of resale among the Japanese manufacturers. Mazda suffers in resale in comparison, even though the 3 does hold it's value better than any other Mazda product.

I'd take a 3S GT over the TSX, even if the prices were the same on both as new models.....
Yeah the TSX weighs 400+ pounds more than the 3

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

From your experience, is the TSX a lot more quieter than the mazda3? I didn't realize the K24 engine still uses a timing belt. I am pretty confident the mazda3 can handle better than the TSX due to the extra weight. But do you miss those premium amenities such as the foot well lighting, locking glove compartment, lights on the 4 door panels, bigger trunk (if you got the sedan), extra space compartments, free car washes from the dealer (lol)?

The mazda3 does have it beat in terms of newer tech like push button start, blind spot monitoring, smarter keyless entry. I am keeping my RSX though so the sportiness of the mazda3 isn't the selling point for me. I'm not saying I want a car that drives like a corolla either but it's really the features and ability to go on 2 hour drives in comfort with a bit of style.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And if anyone can give insight on how the Bose system compares to the ELS system on the Acura?

·
Registered
87 Posts
From your experience, is the TSX a lot more quieter than the mazda3? I didn't realize the K24 engine still uses a timing belt. I am pretty confident the mazda3 can handle better than the TSX due to the extra weight. But do you miss those premium amenities such as the foot well lighting, locking glove compartment, lights on the 4 door panels, bigger trunk (if you got the sedan), extra space compartments, free car washes from the dealer (lol)?
Thinking back, the TSX is probably quieter, but it's has been a while as I only had the TSX for 9 months. As for the amenities you mentioned, the only one that I wish the 3 had is the extra compartments, as Mazda skimped on those. And the dealer never washes my car per my request......

The mazda3 does have it beat in terms of newer tech like push button start, blind spot monitoring, smarter keyless entry. I am keeping my RSX though so the sportiness of the mazda3 isn't the selling point for me. I'm not saying I want a car that drives like a corolla either but it's really the features and ability to go on 2 hour drives in comfort with a bit of style.
When I was looking to trade my 2011 328i M-Sport MT for my present car I was cross-shopping 2 cars: the 3 sGT HB I bought against a 2013 C300 4Matic. When you get past the prestige stigma, the value for what you get in the Mazda 3, especially an sGT, you really are cross-shopping against an A3 or a CLA, or a CPO C300.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
And if anyone can give insight on how the Bose system compares to the ELS system on the Acura?
The ELS does sound better than the Bose sitting still in a garage, but when you are driving down a street with all the inherent noises involved with that either wlll do nicely.....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with the new gen TSX. I had an 08 TSX 6speed for 2 years (lease). That was a great car. Then they came out with the next gen: bigger & heavier (and uglier) with the SAME power. Acura redid the gearing so the acceleration would be the same as the earlier car.

The Mazda is lighter, smaller, gets better gas mileage than the TSX.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Yeah, the 09+ TSX isn't a super-great deal in terms of the overall package... but if you wanted to mod the car and build up something nice, the 04-08 TSX is pretty boss. I wanted one -- you can supercharge, change suspension geometry, fit wide tires to it and the overall platform is refined, if heavy.

I agree with the other posters that it comes down to warranty, tech bits and fuel economy vs. older, proven chassis and an engine with stupid amounts of potential.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Forgot, the OP didn't specify if the 3 was an I or S GT model. If it's an S GT, go for it. Probably will be faster than the TSX. The Mazda is like 2800lbs which is about 600lbs lighter than the TSX and only 15 hp less. Yep it will be faster than the TSX.

EDIT: wow the S is 200lbs heavier than the I? Didn't expect the S to be 3k lbs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, the 09+ TSX isn't a super-great deal in terms of the overall package... but if you wanted to mod the car and build up something nice, the 04-08 TSX is pretty boss. I wanted one -- you can supercharge, change suspension geometry, fit wide tires to it and the overall platform is refined, if heavy.

I agree with the other posters that it comes down to warranty, tech bits and fuel economy vs. older, proven chassis and an engine with stupid amounts of potential.
Don't give me any ideas... Been seeing a few 2006-2008 on CL. lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
163 Posts
used ilx is newer and probably close to 25k and u probably get longer warranty if its cpo.

might hold value better but requires premium unleaded. the vtec in those things arent like what they used to be though. still a better motor than the skyactiv for pure performance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts