2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commented on BBR GTI's youtube video on their turbo kit for the MX-5, I asked if we can expect a turbo kit for the 3. They responded saying 'As our director is driving a BBR turbo 2017 Mazda3 daily it wont be long now!'

Just thought I'd share the very vague but exciting news!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd be surprised if it's a bolt on, as we have plastic intake plenums and already push 13:1 compression. Without modified heads/pistons I wouldn't see a turbo as a very feasible option unfortunately...

but I don't work in the automotive aftermarket industry, so what do I know!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Take a look at BBR's kit for the MX-5 to get a good idea about what the kit for the 3 will look like. Unfortunately, they seem to only work on the 2.0L engine, so we may never see one for the 2.5...

I asked about US distribution and they responded 'A very well known Mazda tuner will be handling distribution over there :)'
My money is on OrangeVirus or CorkSport?

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
So they found a way around tuning the mitsu ecu? They may be working with denso ecus in their cars across the pond which wouldn't help us at all. The mitsu ecus missing boost maps are why we can't turbo the cars well.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Probably good win racing or racing beat will do the dist. I think they would go with them because BBr will be supplying the tune and OV does tuning which is an overlap of profit.

They supposedly are keeping all internal stock with their kit and may have upgrade to handle more boost * stage performance levels*

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
Probably good win racing or racing beat will do the dist. I think they would go with them because BBr will be supplying the tune and OV does tuning which is an overlap of profit.

They supposedly are keeping all internal stock with their kit and may have upgrade to handle more boost * stage performance levels*
Did you even read the other responses to this thread?
Read response #4 , click on the link to see a 15 page discussion on this.
Goodwin, Racing Beat and OV are not part of this.

Oh, by the way, it does seem that boost levels are already at the upper limit for the motor, so upgraded internals are not needed. Increasing boost levels results in detonation, timing pull and resulting loss of power. ~248 hp is what you get.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did you even read the other responses to this thread?
Read response #4 , click on the link to see a 15 page discussion on this.
Goodwin, Racing Beat and OV are not part of this.

Oh, by the way, it does seem that boost levels are already at the upper limit for the motor, so upgraded internals are not needed. Increasing boost levels results in detonation, timing pull and resulting loss of power. ~248 hp is what you get.
I read a bunch of the thread earlier but may have skipped references of folks who are not part of this. This is really exciting . Can't wait for this kit.

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Wanted to throw this in here. It looks like the hardware side of things is good to go but when it comes to the ECU they're stumped. This is the email I received today after inquiring about a turbo kit about a month back.

I guess I'm gonna have to trade my 3 in if I really wanna go turbo. Gotta try and get my hands on a Focus ST or something lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I?ve contacted EcuTek via their Facebook page ( https://m.facebook.com/EcuTek ) and I asked them to consider doing more for the Mazda 3, rather than just focusing on sports cars like the MX5.

I am full of envy for other lucky car owners being able to use EcuConnect and tune their car on the go, using their smartphone (features like Launch Control and Map Switch sound amazing):
http://www.ecutek.com/ecu-connect

I?ll let you know once I get a reply.

Here?s the message I sent them:

?Hello

I have a Mazda 3 SkyActiv and I?ve been active on Mazda 3 forums as well.

Many owners like myself got excited as BBRGti has developed a turbo kit for the newest Mazda 3.

We?ve also become equally disappointed when Neil said that EcuTek won?t develop a map for the Mazda 3 turbo package...

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/#/topics/204394

I was wondering why not!? There are a lot of people like me, who own a 5 door car for practical reasons, and would like to get most of it. Especially so as there are so many options available for the MX5 and the engines are more or less the same.

I?d love to be able to use the new app and make changes on the go!

Would really be great if you?d do more for Mazda 3 - I personally think you?d have a good market available!

Thank you?

·
Registered
720 Posts
LOL, Mrs. Bearly said I drive like a maniac now, so no turbo here.

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
I?ve contacted EcuTek via their Facebook page ( https://m.facebook.com/EcuTek ) and I asked them to consider doing more for the Mazda 3, rather than just focusing on sports cars like the MX5.

I am full of envy for other lucky car owners being able to use EcuConnect and tune their car on the go, using their smartphone (features like Launch Control and Map Switch sound amazing):
EcuTek - ECU Connect

I?ll let you know once I get a reply.

Here?s the message I sent them:

?Hello

I have a Mazda 3 SkyActiv and I?ve been active on Mazda 3 forums as well.

Many owners like myself got excited as BBRGti has developed a turbo kit for the newest Mazda 3.

We?ve also become equally disappointed when Neil said that EcuTek won?t develop a map for the Mazda 3 turbo package...

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/#/topics/204394

I was wondering why not!? There are a lot of people like me, who own a 5 door car for practical reasons, and would like to get most of it. Especially so as there are so many options available for the MX5 and the engines are more or less the same.

I?d love to be able to use the new app and make changes on the go!

Would really be great if you?d do more for Mazda 3 - I personally think you?d have a good market available!

Thank you?
What is your definition of a good market? 10 people? 100 people? I think their definition of a good market would be closer to 1000 people before its worth their time and effort. Its not something you just slap together, it costs a ton of time invested to ensure proper operation and safety. For 100 people, that's hardly worth it. I think you all need to just buy a haltech and suffer the wiring headaches, shouldn't be that hard if your already installing a turbo kit. I bet I could have my 2.5L custom turbo'd by a local high performance shop using a haltech long before you guys find a bunch of tuning companies to put out the effort for approximately 100 customers or less. Sure it might cost me a pretty penny, but this isn't a 90's civic, you don't want to be cutting corners on anything, or it will definitely bite you in the ass. Personally Im blow away that nobody has gone this route yet, I guess Mazda owners are cheap? For how many of you want a Turbo 3rd Gen I just don't get why someone hasn't just bought a Haltech and gone the full custom route. But instead everyone just comes on here to bitch and moan about how nobody wants to give us a turbo kit for less than 100 customers.......reality people, come back to reality.

·
Registered
510 Posts
That is because the MX5 does not have the 2.5 engine.
This doesn't mean they won't do one if the demand is there.

wrong. that's because the 2.5L engine is not available in the UK. Their test car for the miata engine was done using the 3. i was speaking with the guys at BBR GTI when i was in the uk for a holiday last month. they did mention to me that they're in the process of sorting out the ECU for it. also the turbo will fit/work for the 2.5 with the exception of getting a custom exhaust manifold and tune...

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
wrong. that's because the 2.5L engine is not available in the UK. Their test car for the miata engine was done using the 3. i was speaking with the guys at BBR GTI when i was in the uk for a holiday last month. they did mention to me that they're in the process of sorting out the ECU for it. also the turbo will fit/work for the 2.5 with the exception of getting a custom exhaust manifold and tune...
The BBR turbo kit is for the MX-5 only, and there is no current generation MX-5 available with the 2.5 SA motor. Anywhere. It does not fit in the engine bay. That is why BBR has no 2.5 kit currently and why it wasn't developed.
How is it possible that they used a 3 to test the turbo for the MX-5 if nobody (including BBR apparently according to your post) has been able to modify the ECU to make it work yet?

·
Registered
510 Posts
The BBR turbo kit is for the MX-5 only, and there is no current generation MX-5 available with the 2.5 SA motor. Anywhere. It does not fit in the engine bay. That is why BBR has no 2.5 kit currently and why it wasn't developed.
How is it possible that they used a 3 to test the turbo for the MX-5 if nobody (including BBR apparently according to your post) has been able to modify the ECU to make it work yet?
exactly my point.

there is no mx5 available in 2.5 motor. neither is there a mazda 3 available in that motor (2.5) in the UK. the only countries with that motor from memory is the US and Australia.

what i'm trying to get at is that the development for the mx5 turbo kit is done using the mazda 3 in 2.0.

because they told me. i've been emailing them for the earlier half of the year before i went on holiday in the uk last month..

Attachments

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
what i'm trying to get at is that the development for the mx5 turbo kit is done using the mazda 3 in 2.0.
Their already cutting corners then........my worthless 2 cents

·
Registered
510 Posts
maybe, maybe not. till i get the chance to see one, i shall not judge. development and final product usually differs a lot of each other. depending on how the needed the abuse to be when testing limits..

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
Again, how is this possible if nobody (including BBR by their own admission) has been able to make the Mitsu ECU in the 3 work with a turbo yet? Unless of course their 3s have different ECUs than the Norh American cars, in which case the whole thing is worth exactly nothing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts