2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my wife's 2014 Mazda3 this morning (10 degrees outside, garaged) and it sputtered for 1-2 seconds, then performed normally. This is the first time this has happened in the 11,000 miles we've owned it since new.

After the sputter, it sounded normal, and ran fine. My wife is going to listen to it when she starts it tonight when she leaves work. I'm thinking that maybe the EGR valve is sticking a little, but am contemplating taking it in to the Mazda dealer to have a look.

Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
530 Posts
If it happens again take it up to the dealer. No sense in taking it up there if it only happened once.

While I am a firm believer in things should work as they are designed 100% of time, I also understand that is not realistic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be fair, the vehicle sat for 4 days or so before starting (crappy weather in PA), but having only 11K on the odometer, I would expect zero issues.

I called the dealer where I bought the car, and they suggested the same thing as yourself.

I guess it's just monitor the car and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If it sat for so long is such cold weather, I'd guess the battery was a little low and although it fired and started, not all cylinders did from the lack of power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I imagine that's possible, but the garage is well insulated, and is typically 15-20 degrees warmer inside. I'd like to think the new battery can withstand 10-30 degree temps without losing potency :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine has done this every day since day 1. I mentioned it to dealer and he said not to worry about it and to bring it in if it does it after being warmed up. It probably has something to do with the high compression at cold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine has done this every day since day 1. I mentioned it to dealer and he said not to worry about it and to bring it in if it does it after being warmed up. It probably has something to do with the high compression at cold.
I never considered the high compression and how it might be affected by the cold. Food for thought.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think this happened couple of times when I started the car, though I think it was when the engine was warm. When it happened, I felt like it was because the engine management system was just trying to keep the rev low enough to start motor to keep fuel consumption low, vs stalling out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts