2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got me a 2014 m3 a bit over a month ago with only 36,000 Miles. The car drives great, interior is great, paint is shiny, but then I started noticing rust. First just a tiny bit of surface rust on one of the rims. No problem. Then I found rust around some of the under hood bolts, these bolts are pretty rusty, but still no problem really. Then I got a flat 2 weeks ago, and when I was putting the spare on I see rust all over the suspension. These are the best pics I got. But in the front and back, various suspension bits have this amount of rust on them. The car DID come from Syracuse New York, where the roads are often salted. And I now have it in an area where it won’t be exposed to near as much salt. But I’m nervous that this car may just be prone to rust, and be rusted out 5 years from now. So I could go ahead and put the car on Craigslist now, or just hope if I keep it washed in the winter it won’t rust much further as the years go by.

I’ve compared my Mazda’s rust to 2 15 year old vehicles from family members,?and while they may have a bit of redening on parts of their undercarriage, My cars rust penetrates a bit deeper, even only being 4 years old.. And I think if it did rust further, certain bits could become too brittle.
Even the center of the spare spare tire has rust on it, and it spends 99% of its life protected from the elements.
What do you guys think? Should I be better safe than sorry and go ahead and sell the car?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd say get it undercoated really well and you should be fine. Make sure it gets cleaned really well under the car before it gets undercoated tho.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
Take a wire brush and remove what you can. Then you have a known clean, rust free starting point. As you say, it's from a car from an area that salts roads.
Monitor for a year.
If significant rust reappears in that year, spend money, if you want.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Take a wire brush and remove what you can. Then you have a known clean, rust free starting point. As you say, it's from a car from an area that salts roads.
Monitor for a year.
If significant rust reappears in that year, spend money, if you want.
I would like to add one thing to this. After you wire brush everything, I suggest buying a few cans of Fluid Film. Spray everyplace that is starting to rust, just be careful to not get it on the exhaust or brake rotors/ pads. Then spray everything else you don't want to rust. The oil will keep everything in check, and will prevent other spots from rusting. I usually do the under carriages of my daily drivers once a year and it works out well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, I appreciate you helping me get some ideas together. I think I’m going to try a few weeks to get a good price for it. If that doesn’t work out, take the wire brush to the rust. And then use the fluid film, as well. Glad to know about that since the other rustproof costing I heard about was almost $200.

Mazda builds some great cars, they just need some more rust proofing. It seems, from reading posts on various sites, that Mazda’s are indeed more prone to rust than many other cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts