2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, what are your pet peeves on the 2014 Mazda3?

Here are some of mine:

1. The rear bench seat lifts up at the corners, not visible and only noticeable when actually lifted by hand but it makes the car's build quality (fit and finish) feel bad.

2. Backing up is a challenge, maybe its my seating position on the lowest setting for that race car esque feel or the angle/orientation of the rear windshield but I seriously cant see smack. I never had this issue before with any of my previous cars (98 LS400, 05 Civic Si, 00 Miata, 07 Civic).
I like to back into my parking spaces when possible but lately its been a bit challenging...its like all I see is the back seat.

3. Passenger air bag light is constantly off when I have no passenger in the front seat, minor annoyance but would like that light off.

4. The DRL (daytime running lights)....I pulled the fuse and all is well. Victory. I don't believe they make cars safer/more visible, if you cant see a car in broad daylight then you should not be driving. And if they are a safety measure because they stand out, if every car has DRLs how are they standing out? Oh well well leave it at that.

5. The motorcyle esque tach right in the middle of the cluster, kinda cool to look at but hard to see my MPHs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ok I'll play.

1. No glove box light.

2. "Detachable" rear bench at the corners.

3. Window rattle when the front windows are lowered about 1 centimeter.

4. Stiff middle seat on the rear bench.

5. Only the driver window control is lit -- guess work for all other controls.

6. Trunk light is too dim and I hate that it's manual on and off.

7. Loss of window controls once car is turned off. All my previous cars allowed power until door was open.

8. Blind spot assist is still quiet even on loudest setting.

sT pet peeves:

9. DELETES from lower models in order to get you to buy sGT...ANNOYING. Loss of auto lights and power sunroof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1. Stupid Operating system crashes or flat dies all the time!!

2. Already sounds really ruff on cold starts (getting it looked at monday)

3. Ruff visibility at the rear

4. SOME FUCK ASSWHOLE REARENDED MY CAR IN A PARKING LOT AND TOOK OFF!!! And theres no aftermarket bumpers yet see as how i hate that my sedan version doesnt show the damn exhaust like wtf! the hatchback shows them but not the sedan?

·
Registered
4 Posts
  • Only a cupholder in the front doors for storage
  • Dome light comes on as soon an engine is turned off instead of when the door is opened
  • Headlight switch goes from Auto, Marker, Headlight
  • Hatchback rear window gets dirty too easily compared to other hatchbacks I've had

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
1. You can't operate the windows right after powering off the car, only driver front window has power, everything else loses power. All my other cars power don't cut off till you open the door after engine is off.
2. No auto close for the sunroof.
3. Front driver window rattles slightly when lowered a little (an in or so)
4. When sun hits the back seat belt it's like a disco in my car.
5. Don't know if I like the cargo cover or not, bumped my head on it a few times. Haven't done so lately tho.
6. If you use heated seats and you didn't turn it off when you power off the car, it'll come back on the next time you start the car.

Other than that, can't think of any more right now =)

·
Registered
14 Posts
More peeves...

+1 on the heated seats not turning off after re-starting and the passenger air bag light constantly on.

Also, the vol up/down on steering wheel has a lag before auto-repeat kicks in. Too fine of step-sizes for vol.

Have to use Infotainment menu to switch between AM/FM. Wish there was a hard-key on dash or steering wheel.

When scrolling among presets, Infotainment doesn't display new station momentarily (if not in music screen).

Turn-signal chime quite faint even on loudest setting.

No Homelink.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
As the title states, what are your pet peeves on the 2014 Mazda3?

Here are some of mine:

2. Backing up is a challenge, maybe its my seating position on the lowest setting for that race car esque feel or the angle/orientation of the rear windshield but I seriously cant see smack. I never had this issue before with any of my previous cars (98 LS400, 05 Civic Si, 00 Miata, 07 Civic).
I like to back into my parking spaces when possible but lately its been a bit challenging...its like all I see is the back seat.
Here's my pet peeve about drivers:

A lot of younger drivers think it is cool to sit low in a car (my son is one of them). But it is dangerous as the more of the road you can see, the better (and faster) you can drive safely. The irony here is that if you really ever did race with your car, your instructor wouldn't let you drive it sitting low as you can't control the car as well. So driving the way you are sitting only gives you a "race feel" in your own head. I owned Porsches for years and took a number of driver education courses where you went through slaloms, skidpads, braking tests and spinouts to learn the limits of your car. They wouldn't even let you drive your car unless you were in a good seating position, had your arms at the right length from the wheel, had the car fully adjusted, and you put your hands on the steering wheel at the 9:30/2:30 positions with your thumbs on the crossbar and your hands not tight on the wheel.

If you really do want that "racing feel", then you should study what racing drivers actually do and realize that if you sit low in a car, to those of us who have raced, you just look like a chump who doesn't know what he's doing.

Yeah, forgive me if I sound like a Dad chewing out his kid. On second thought -- nothing to forgive.....

·
Technical Director
303 Posts
Lack of lighting on the controls on the door. I guess I could've paid more money and got that lighting, but that seems silly. They did light the one window button, but nothing else. RX8 has ambient lighting on both doors.

The hatch stays filthy. The splash guards help some, but I'm still not used to the amount of filth collects on the whole hatch. Thank goodness for the rear wiper.

Oh, and a glovebox light would be nice. It's not like I rummage through there when driving, but when I'm a passenger I'll use it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Lack of lighting on the controls on the door. I guess I could've paid more money and got that lighting, but that seems silly. They did light the one window button, but nothing else. RX8 has ambient lighting on both doors.

The hatch stays filthy. The splash guards help some, but I'm still not used to the amount of filth collects on the whole hatch. Thank goodness for the rear wiper.

Oh, and a glovebox light would be nice. It's not like I rummage through there when driving, but when I'm a passenger I'll use it.
I agree with all of your comments. I think the rear hatch collects dirt because of the rear spoiler. That creates a vacuum and sucks the dirt in. Also, the lack of a diffuser adds to this. It can't be the wheels kicking up the dirt as there is no direct path.

Regarding interior lighting, I looked at the factory package and that is a huge install as the only source for that is the roof front console. Then you have to add electronics in addition to wiring because of the complexity of the console setup. Then you have to take apart half of the dash to run the wires. What a joke. It looks like a 5-6 hour install.

Reactions: Zoom 7

·
Registered
269 Posts
1. Have to have a wifi device to get traffic, in addition to paying for the service.. it obviously gets traffic from HD Radio for their little overview map.. why not tie that into the navigation :(

2. Fog lights are very dim and useless.

3. No homelink on SGT :(

So far that's it, only owned the car for one day :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Inadequate interior lighting (in iSport at least)

No LEDs in taillights. I know I got the "cheap" model, but still, it's 2014.

Can't lock/unlock doors using keyfob when engine is running.

Door controls not lighted. If I need to unlock the doors to let a passenger in/out I can't see which way to press it to unlock it.

No tint strip at top of windshield.

Poor defroster performance. It took a good 10 minutes to defog my windshield this morning with the blower on full blast.

Blue/red idiot light instead of a real temperature gauge.

Volume controls on steering wheel need to increment in larger steps, or change faster when held down.

Hard to read tachometer.

The fact that I couldn't afford a Touring or GT.

The fact that, as sharp looking as it is, and as nice a car in its class as it is, it's still an economy car.

·
Registered
720 Posts
never mind

·
Technical Director
303 Posts
Inadequate interior lighting (in iSport at least)

No LEDs in taillights. I know I got the "cheap" model, but still, it's 2014.

Can't lock/unlock doors using keyfob when engine is running.

Door controls not lighted. If I need to unlock the doors to let a passenger in/out I can't see which way to press it to unlock it.

No tint strip at top of windshield.

Poor defroster performance. It took a good 10 minutes to defog my windshield this morning with the blower on full blast.

Blue/red idiot light instead of a real temperature gauge.

Volume controls on steering wheel need to increment in larger steps, or change faster when held down.

Hard to read tachometer.

The fact that I couldn't afford a Touring or GT.

The fact that, as sharp looking as it is, and as nice a car in its class as it is, it's still an economy car.
I took care of the tint strip on my own at the local tint shop when I got the rest of the windows tinted.

The lack of light on the doors gets to me too. I'm used to it in the RX8, and I had to fumble around a bit when I took a group out to eat a couple of weeks ago in the 3, and I took them home past dark.

On the bright side, a 6'2" person can sit in the back without much discomfort. He said the only real pain was getting in and out of the car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Can't believe nobody brought up lack of homelink on sGT mirror
Look two posts up :)

My list, despite being fully satisfied with the car, and I promise not to complain about software issues behind the infotainment/audio system!

I also promise not to complain about odd model options packages and complain about the sTouring only! ;)

- Fog Lights can't turn on without headlights (should be DRLS+Fogs as an allowed option) and they're feeble and incandescent when the rest of the lights on the front are LED or HIDs

- Lights are not automatic. Limiting this to the sGT only is ridiculous.

- Taillight turn indicators are incandescent, when the rest of the light cluster is LED.

- When filling the car, due to the angle of the gas cap, the pump often shuts of far too early, and it's difficult to figure out when the car is actually full. Also miss having a car that uses a cap-less system.

- Trunk lighting is feeble. Should be brighter, ideally LED and maybe on both sides.

- Grab handle only on one side of hatch

- Internal lighting not LED, flaky behavior with internal dome and map lights (short cutoff and general flaky behavior)

- Dead pedal needed for driver's left foot.

- Door bottle holders not useful for anything else (but great for bottles), no pocket in doors.

- Sport button is not in a position that's easily accessible.

- The car has a compass, but it's only accessible if the Nav SD card is removed (why?). Most people don't even know the compass feature exists.

- rear armrest is a nice touch for the class, but it's a bit flimsy.

- Lighting on driver's door controls-- why only light one dimly, rather than all/most features.

Phew.

I think my arm would fall off if I went into the infotainment gripes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
3. Passenger air bag light is constantly off when I have no passenger in the front seat, minor annoyance but would like that light off.

4. The DRL (daytime running lights)....I pulled the fuse and all is well. Victory. I don't believe they make cars safer/more visible, if you cant see a car in broad daylight then you should not be driving. And if they are a safety measure because they stand out, if every car has DRLs how are they standing out? Oh well well leave it at that.
As far as number 3 goes, I agree with this pet peeve, but seeing as how it's a federal regulation, any new car is going to have the same issue. Not so much a mazda3 pet peeve as much as a general new car peeve ;).

And for number 4, you may dislike DRLs, and that's fine, but the bulk of research has shown pretty clearly that they reduce accident volume and severity, even once most cars have DRLs. Don't trust other drivers to be as capable and aware as the best drivers. In any case, point is that DRLs are a proven effective safety feature. If you want to not use them, go for it, but you're making a safety tradeoff. See: Daytime Running Lights: The Studies

My own pet peeves:

1. Side mirror position shifts after folding sand then unfolding the mirrors.

2. Can't seem to get my GPS estimated arrival time to display in 24 hour format.

3. Bluetooth signal starts to get spotty if phone is in my pocket. Otherwise fine.

4. Couldn't get sGT without a moonroof! (So I got the sT. I want every inch of headroom I can get).

5. Like everyone else...no glovebox light. At least I don't need a home link mirror!

Finally, 6. Now I'm paranoid like crazy about my car being damaged because I live on a busy street and park on the street, and I work in a building with tight parking spots and plenty of door-fingers. Damn this beautiful car, it demands care! ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Pet peeves with my iTouring HB MT:

1. Digital tachometer. (IMHO, they should have just used the dash layout from the S models for all the cars.)
2. Highend safety and efficiency features not available on I models. (But I can buy an expensive infotainment system. :argh 1:) IMHO, one should not be forced to buy luxury items to get safety features. Leather seats should not be a prerequisite for the lane departure warning system. I should not be force to buy automatic AC and navigation to get a backup camera. There is nothing wrong with luxury options. I just don't think they are more important than the safety and efficiency options.
3. Who decided that only black vinyl seats should be the only option for the iGT and the sTouring? Really, have you sat in a car anywhere in the southern US? The first words out of the salesmen's mouth when I spoke to him about it was that they usually had those cars reupholstered (at the buyer's expense of course) as part of the purchase. He assured me that the cost was fair. That is just nuts.
4. Did I mention the digital tachometer yet? :tongue:

Really, that's about it. Everything else is a tradeoff with spending more money vs features you get.

·
Registered
352 Posts
As far as number 3 goes, I agree with this pet peeve, but seeing as how it's a federal regulation, any new car is going to have the same issue. Not so much a mazda3 pet peeve as much as a general new car peeve ;).

And for number 4, you may dislike DRLs, and that's fine, but the bulk of research has shown pretty clearly that they reduce accident volume and severity, even once most cars have DRLs. Don't trust other drivers to be as capable and aware as the best drivers. In any case, point is that DRLs are a proven effective safety feature. If you want to not use them, go for it, but you're making a safety tradeoff. See: Daytime Running Lights: The Studies
Just because I'm pedantic: DRLs are absolutely NOT required in the U.S. They are required in Canada and in large chunks of Europe. That makes more relative sense in the northern latitudes, where twilight hours are extended. I still remember when GM pushed to have them introduced.

Before then, you were able to run lights on a car and have it actually draw a driver's attention-- are you on a motorcycle? cop ahead? funeral procession? Now every other car's lights are on, so attention-grabbing tactics are harder (and I'm in a state where driving w/ flashers on is illegal.) I don't consider LED DRLs offensive, but I miss that ability to transmit information... and also miss pop up headlights which DRLs effectively killed. Yes, I'm old.

I won't get started on all the yahoos who forget to turn on their headlights at night because of DRLs, since that's easily fixed with automatic headlights, rapidly becoming standard in all but the most stripped down rental cars... and the vast majority of the Mazda 3s sold :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
Some other pet peeves, but not with my car (as I bought an iSport to avoid these things):

Blind spot monitoring. Most of us don't need it, and it INTERFERES WITH RADAR DETECTORS. It turns your car into a K band drone. They should have made this an optional item on all trim levels.

Smart City Brake System. Causes laser falses especially on Valentine 1.

Optional items should be a la carte IMHO. If I want a car with heated seats and mirrors but no blind spot nannies, I should be able to order one that way.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.