2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post here. I had planned to just read the forum (awesome forum btw...), and wait until I purchased a 2014 MZ3 at the beginning of next year before posting, but I thought that folks might get some use out of something I did while I was waiting to buy.

I compiled a summary of the possible options that I might end up with; so that, I could compare $$'s and know what I needed to budget for the purchase.

I had 2 hard requirements. It had to be a hatch and it had to have a manual transmission. The wife and I hate sedans and both can't stand automatic transmissions. Also, neither of us was interested in the GT packages. (Just too much money for mostly stuff we don't want or need.)

So, the following list has the i SV features folded in under the i Sport car, and you won't see the GT options. Sadly, a few cool safety/efficiency features like Lane Departure Warning System and i-ELoop are not available to those of us not willing to also purchase loads of luxury items (like leather, navigation, moon roof, hi-end stereo, etc...). Sigh...

The features list for each option is what you get in addition to what all the previous options listed. (e.g. The i Touring list is in addition to all the stuff under the i Sport.)

Note: Just add $1050 for auto prices and subtract $500 to get the sedan prices. (And I know the s Touring doesn't have MT prices yet; so, I just subtracted $1050 from the auto s Touring to get that price.)

So, here's the list. Maybe it's useful to someone else besides me:

--------------------

Mazda3 i Sport Hatchback (MT) - $18945

- SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter gasoline engine
- SKYACTIV-MT six-speed manual transmission
- Push-button start
- Automatic power door locks
- Remote keyless entry system
- Daytime running lights
- USB connection port
- Matte-finish front grille
- 16-inch full-cover steel wheels
- Body-color door handles and bumpers
- Body-color dual-power folding outside mirrors
- Power windows with driver-side one-touch down/up
- Tilt-and-telescopic adjustable steering column
- Air conditioning with a pollen filter
- Cloth sport seats
- Four-speaker AM/FM audio system and an auxiliary input jack
- Illuminated steering wheel controls
- 60/40-split fold-flat rear seat
- Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio connectivity
- Cruise control
- Trip computer
- CD player
- Map lights
- Tachometer

+$1150

Mazda3 i Touring Hatchback (MT) - $20,095

- 16-inch aluminum alloy wheels
- Heated body-color folding outside mirrors with turn signal indicators
- Bright beltline trim
- Rear seat folding armrest with cup holders
- Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry & Start system
- Touring-specific cloth-trimmed sport seats
- Leather-wrapped brake handle
- Leather-wrapped shift knob
- Leather-wrapped three-spoke steering wheel with contrast stitching
- Rear roof spoiler
- Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) system with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)

+$1600

Mazda3 i Touring Hatchback with Technnology Package (MT) - $21695

- Human-machine interface (HMI) system
- Seven-inch full-color touch screen display
- Navigation
- Multi-function commander control for display screen operations
- Rearview camera
- Bose® Centerpoint® 2 nine-speaker Surround Sound System
- AudioPilot® 2
- HD Radio™ Technology
- Sirius/XM satellite radio with a four-month complimentary subscription
- Aha by HARMAN™ radio integration
- Pandora® internet radio compatibility
- Stitcher™ internet radio integration
- E911 automatic emergency notification
- SMS text message receipt and delivery
- Two USB ports
- Voice command
- Dual zone automatic climate control
- Overhead console with sunglasses holder
- Illuminated vanity mirrors
- Shark fin antenna.

+$2350

Mazda3 s Touring Hatchback (MT) - $24045

- SKYACTIV-G 2.5-liter gasoline engine
- 18-inch aluminum alloy wheels
- Bi-xenon headlights with manual leveling
- Piano black-finish front grille
- Halogen fog lights
- LED combination taillights
- LED daytime running lights
- Active Driving Display
- Six-way power-adjustable driver's seat with manual lumbar adjustment
- Leatherette seats
- Leatherette door panel inserts
- Variable heated front seats

(Add +$795 destination charge to get actual price.)

--------------------

Mike

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may go with the I Touring HB MT seems to be the best overall deal for for about a $20,000 car.
That's exactly what my wife and I have decided also.

I'd spend more for the other safety features and the I-ELoop from the higher packages, but there's just way too much other stuff bundled with them that I don't want to pay for; so, the i Touring is the one for us.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not me, i need the S. However, if I'm not getting the Tech Package on the Grand Touring, then I could probably settle for just the regular Touring (depending on how the "Leatherette" is). I want the adaptive cruise control, but I don't particularly want the sunroof (it's not something I'll use often).

Besides, i want the frigging HUD. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Not me, i need the S. However, if I'm not getting the Tech Package on the Grand Touring, then I could probably settle for just the regular Touring (depending on how the "Leatherette" is). I want the adaptive cruise control, but I don't particularly want the sunroof (it's not something I'll use often).

Besides, i want the frigging HUD. :)

huh?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like 2 things from the S Touring: the 2.5L engine and the analog tach. (not really impressed with the digital tach on the i Touring)

I'm just not willing to pay nearly $4K extra for those plus a bunch of stuff I either don't care about or actually dislike.

The latter includes black leatherette seats. I live in a very hot climate and those would be death in the summer when temps hover at or over 100F much of the season. (Mazda's press release states that leatherette is only available in black.)

Also, I really, really, really dislike the trend to ever larger touch screens that, IMHO, look tacked onto the dash as an afterthought. I wouldn't mind if it was an option, but you are forced to buy it if you want the better engine and safety features. That's a shame.

OTOH, I applaud Mazda's continued support of the manual transmission and for making the hatchback available at a lower price point. Not long ago, you had to buy the more expensive S version to get the 5-door. Also, thumbs up for the Advanced Keyless Entry & Start in the i Touring. You don't get that with the Mazda 6 Touring. I've had a car with this feature and I can't go back now.

So, that's why the wife and I are sticking with the i Touring. It's got everything we need and 90% of the features we want at a great price.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like 2 things from the S Touring: the 2.5L engine and the analog tach. (not really impressed with the digital tach on the i Touring)
My understanding is that the entry level sedan has a analog speedometer and no tachometer, and all the rest of the models have an analog tachometer and a digital speedometer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My understanding is that the entry level sedan has a analog speedometer and no tachometer, and all the rest of the models have an analog tachometer and a digital speedometer.
Nope, the i models beyond the basic SV model have an analog looking digital tach off to the left. The i SV only has the digital tach with the manual transmission. AT versions of the SV have no tach at all. s models get the big analog tachometer in the center of the dash.

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, the i models beyond the basic SV model have an analog looking digital tach off to the left. The i SV only has the digital tach with the manual transmission. AT versions of the SV have no tach at all. s models get the big analog tachometer in the center of the dash.
Yeah, I get that they want to differentiate the models somewhat, but really, why have three dash configs. Wouldn't it be easier and less expensive to manufacture just one tach/speedo combo? Mazda can boost profits a bit by streamlining manufacturing, and customer satisfaction goes up because they get the best gauge setup. It's a win/win.

Oh well, I guess the tach/speedo combo gauge must be made with Unobtainium or something to make it only worth putting in the more expensive S models.

(I'll take sharp cheddar cheese with my whine. Thanks... ;-) )

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, I get that they want to differentiate the models somewhat, but really, why have three dash configs. Wouldn't it be easier and less expensive to manufacture just one tach/speedo combo? Mazda can boost profits a bit by streamlining manufacturing, and customer satisfaction goes up because they get the best gauge setup. It's a win/win.

Oh well, I guess the tach/speedo combo gauge must be made with Unobtainium or something to make it only worth putting in the more expensive S models.

Apparently it's not cheaper, probably because the better dash also has the heads-up display. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oldman said:

Apparently it's not cheaper, probably because the better dash also has the heads-up display. :)
I guess, but I was really speaking about the instrument cluster. The HUD is just stubbed out if you don't have it, just like any other feature. (e.g. fog lights)

But really, would having the analog tach/digital speedo across all platforms be more expensive than having 3 different configurations to manufacture by changing it out for either an analog speedo/digital tach or just the analog speedo in different configurations? Seems like an awful lot of manufacturing overhead/cost for little to no savings and less customer satisfaction overall, because I'd wager the take rate on the S models is going to be less than the I models.

Anyway, just me being grumpy. No biggie...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They're probably pluggable modules, just like the stereo head unit. I bet it wouldn't be hard to swap gauge clusters.
Definitely something to consider. Good idea. :thumbup:

Main thing to worry about would be whether the wiring harnesses from different model cars would be compatible or require modification. Or worst case, required wiring may be missing completely in cars without the analog tach.

But no sense worrying until somebody can actually take the dash apart and have a look see...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased a 2013 Hatchback Touring today ...sticker price $23,444...out the door price $20,303 plus sales tax and lic. ...Options, Automatic and preferred equip. package. That is a little over $3,000 off the sticker. Go drive the automatic with the manual shift. You will be impressed.

I considered waiting till 2014 but two things changed my mind. The 2014 will be made in Mexico. That was a deal breaker for me plus you will be lucky to get a discount of $500 off sticker price much less 3 grand when the new models comes out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really liked the 2013 hatch w/manual transmission I recently test drove. However, I'm not buying until beginning of next year. So, there likely won't be a 2013 available with the exact config I want. Plus, I truly prefer the 2014 in virtually every way. Comparing 2013 vs 2014 i Touring, I only prefer the analog tach and the bit larger cargo space of the 2013. I prefer the 2014 over the 2013 for everything else assuming that the 2014 handling is as good as reported.

That said, I totally get that there will be some great deals for the remaining '13s and folks should check them out. They are great cars.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Someone interested in the i model really doesn't have to wait if they can get over the looks of the 2013. It's pretty much the same powertrain, and handling might actually be a little better. But if one wants the bigger engine (like me) one should wait for the 2014.

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased a 2013 Hatchback Touring today ...sticker price $23,444...out the door price $20,303 plus sales tax and lic. ...Options, Automatic and preferred equip. package. That is a little over $3,000 off the sticker. Go drive the automatic with the manual shift. You will be impressed.

I considered waiting till 2014 but two things changed my mind. The 2014 will be made in Mexico. That was a deal breaker for me plus you will be lucky to get a discount of $500 off sticker price much less 3 grand when the new models comes out.
The Mexico plant isn't opening until well into 2014. The first 2014 ms3 are still being made in Japan.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts