2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please watch this video. I'm experiencing the exact same problem..

It is coming from the passenger rear side. The noise comes on when I step on the brake and that screeching/scratch noise stays for a few minutes, sometimes longer. After the noise goes away, if I use the brake again, the cycle begins again.

I heard some people changing pads, rotors, etc but continued to have the issue. Anyone here experienced this issue? It sounds like this is a common issue with Mazda 3. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

By the way, I only have 32K on my car and pads and rotors are still good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2016 3T

There was a brake recall on 2014 3's. Something about a bad seal on the rear brakes causing a corroded cylinder that caused the parking brake to stick. Check your dealer for recalls on your car. If your VIN is on the list it's a free fix.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
There was a brake recall on more than just the 2014s and plenty of TSBs to go around.

To sum it up for you: the rear brakes on our cars are crap. They wear down prematurely and are somewhat prone to seizing. The channels that the pad tabs slide in (on the shims) is extremely tight and can easily get debris in it causing the pad to stick when the piston is just fine.

Any brake problem your first step should be to pull the wheel off and see what is going on. When you drive, your life can depend on those brakes.

As mentioned, check out the recalls if they are done.

Its also possible that they're worn down. I check, clean and lube the brakes in the spring and fall. That way it will be very unlikely that I will be caught off guard by unexpected brake failure. My rears seemed fine in the spring, but then at 80k kms in the fall they were obliterated. Rotors heavily pitted and ruined, pads nearly down to metal both sides. Not sure what happened in that short time.

By the way, that's a little under 50k miles.

The good news is the front brakes are great.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There was a brake recall on more than just the 2014s and plenty of TSBs to go around.

To sum it up for you: the rear brakes on our cars are crap. They wear down prematurely and are somewhat prone to seizing. The channels that the pad tabs slide in (on the shims) is extremely tight and can easily get debris in it causing the pad to stick when the piston is just fine.

Any brake problem your first step should be to pull the wheel off and see what is going on. When you drive, your life can depend on those brakes.

As mentioned, check out the recalls if they are done.

Its also possible that they're worn down. I check, clean and lube the brakes in the spring and fall. That way it will be very unlikely that I will be caught off guard by unexpected brake failure. My rears seemed fine in the spring, but then at 80k kms in the fall they were obliterated. Rotors heavily pitted and ruined, pads nearly down to metal both sides. Not sure what happened in that short time.

By the way, that's a little under 50k miles.

The good news is the front brakes are great.

One of the very few disappointments I have with this car deal with the brakes overall. Road noise and the tinny sounding doors were known quantities going in, but this isn't a $50K car either so I can accept those things. My car has 6K on it and the brakes click and clack when going into reverse, they click and clack again when going into drive and sometimes the rears will even audibly be dragging after going to reverse and back into drive. Stepping on the brakes momentarily when starting the forward motion solves the issue but this is not satisfactory for a NEW car. I have one more free service that I'll need to get done in the next three months and I'll get the dealership to take a look.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
One of the very few disappointments I have with this car deal with the brakes overall. Road noise and the tinny sounding doors were known quantities going in, but this isn't a $50K car either so I can accept those things. My car has 6K on it and the brakes click and clack when going into reverse, they click and clack again when going into drive and sometimes the rears will even audibly be dragging after going to reverse and back into drive. Stepping on the brakes momentarily when starting the forward motion solves the issue but this is not satisfactory for a NEW car. I have one more free service that I'll need to get done in the next three months and I'll get the dealership to take a look.
Yup, the brakes are pretty bad. They work fine, just annoying issues. I regularly get the rears stick a little when I release the parking brake. Its normal for me to get a little pop when I start in reverse.

As the fronts age, I do get a little noise sometimes. Usually a good little creak at that point right before you come to a compete stop. It comes and goes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I get the clack on the rear brakes now that the pads/rotors have been changed. 2017 Mazda3 Sport GT electric parking brake. The rear pads wore down to 1.6mm after 28k kilometers. Replaced the rear rotors and pads with Mazda pads and aftermarket rotors. The pads do not fit snug enough into the caliper bracket and move back and forth just enough to clack. I hear it mostly, in drive throughs since that is a start-stop location. My mechanic brother tells me that usually happens with cheap aftermarket pads where they don't quite fit right. Looking at the pads I have from the dealer, they are made by TRW. I wonder if they sold me a cheaper (white box) part. Dealers do that to keep prices down so customers will get the work done there. Pisses me off. I got a dealer part so I could be sure it fit. I might try and see if putting in a set of pad clips will fix it but EPB is not supposed to have any hardware. I will see if a dealer mechanic will talk to me so I can find out what they do. I can't see a customer being satisfied with a clack, after a dealer repair. If I find a fix, I will post it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.