2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’ve seen some posts here where it looks like you have to remove the entire rear deck to just replace the speakers. I have the Bose system and one of the speakers is flaky.
From the pictures I’ve attached you can see that the speaker appears to have a removable cover and I can even get it to move a bit in every direction so I think I should be able to pry it up but everything I read says remove the whole deck. I’m thinking maybe mine is different or previous owner did something.

I have a replacement factory speaker so it should be an easy fix but don’t want to break anything.
Do you think these covers can just be popped off and give me enough access to unscrew the 2 screws to replace the speaker?
Thanks

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Fixture Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, I guess my next question is, does my rear deck look normal? I’ve found pictures online but they don’t look like mine—- speaker grills are part of the rear deck and are molded in.
Mine appear loose.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,524 Posts
It looks like someone did some modification. The 5 door 3 with BOSE has a 9 speaker set (5 front and 4 rear). The 4 rear are on 3 line outs though. L/R low end for the doors and 1 line out split between the tweeters.

Those speakers in your pic are not tweeters.
CK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like someone did some modification. The 5 door 3 with BOSE has a 9 speaker set (5 front and 4 rear). The 4 rear are on 3 line outs though. L/R low end for the doors and 1 line out split between the tweeters.

Those speakers in your pic are not tweeters.
CK
Thank you. Mine is a 4 door sedan Bose but as you can see, there are Bose speakers on the rear deck.

·
Registered
M3
37 Posts
Mines a 14 astina sedan(top of range Australian model)
The rear speaker covers are molded in(bose system)
It does have the 9 speaker system.3 across dash,2 in front doors,2 in rear doors and 2 on rear deck.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Sounds like the deck might have to come out. If it's like the gen4, it's not as bad as it sounds. There are some short cuts, like not removing the seats. What you do is lower the rear seats, remove all the clips, and then slowly pry out the sides of the deck from the car where the upper seats were. That allows you to disconnect the wiring and then tug the deck out rearwards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mines a 14 astina sedan(top of range Australian model)
The rear speaker covers are molded in(bose system)
It does have the 9 speaker system.3 across dash,2 in front doors,2 in rear doors and 2 on rear deck.
Thanks. I have the 9 speaker bose too and I think this was top of the line when purchased.
Does your rear deck look like mine? My covers appear loose and not molded.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Thank you. I think the previous owner added these in and they cut through the deck. I’ll try to take them off. They are ridiculously delicate. I bent the with my fingernails.
Get a good plastic pry tool so you don't damage them. My hunch is that even if you can pop them out, you'll still end up having to remove the deck to swap in a new factory tweeter.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,524 Posts
I don't think the US sedans had them. Other countries did, but only the higher trim 5 doors got 9 speakers in the US. Canada did, maybe?

I could be mistaken as I've never looked inside the sedan version of my car.
CK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks. Maybe my car came from Canada or it was the top of the line at whatever dealer.
I know the original owner was Canadian and I bought it from him. Looks like it had 9 Bose speaker system.

I don't think the US sedans had them. Other countries did, but only the higher trim 5 doors got 9 speakers in the US. Canada did, maybe?

I could be mistaken as I've never looked inside the sedan version of my car.
CK

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks. Maybe my car came from Canada or it was the top of the line at whatever dealer.
I know the original owner was Canadian and I bought it from him. Looks like it had 9 Bose speaker system.
I have a 2016 i-Touring sedan made in Japan, purchased in California. It came with a nine speaker Bose set up as part of a "Popular Equipment Package", which also included Sirius Radio, CD Player, Dual-Zone Climate Control, and Auto-dim Rearview Mirror. $1100.00 extra. The rear deck speaker grilles are molded in.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Get a good plastic pry tool so you don't damage them. My hunch is that even if you can pop them out, you'll still end up having to remove the deck to swap in a new factory tweeter.
Any guide for removing deck on BP? :D I know that C Pilalrs have to come off, but they seems pretty sturdy and non "removable".

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Any guide for removing deck on BP? :D I know that C Pilalrs have to come off, but they seems pretty sturdy and non "removable".
from another post:

What I did to save time, however, was remove ONLY the C-Pillar trim 100% (rather than seats etc). After removing the 6 or so clips, just pull the Tire House Trim on each side back and then tuck it under the deck instead of removing it. That way you don't have to remove the scuff plate, rear seat back, or rear seat bottom either.

Popping it out was a little tricky. You want to free up the sides first. What I did was sit on the folded down, rear seat backs, and then slowly brute forced the deck upwards with a knee until it popped out of place. Once both sides are popped out, it's super easy to again slowly pull it out towards the cabin after you unhook the single harness. Putting it back is much easier.

As to C-Pillar trim being difficult, you just have to tug backward toward the cabin on it like the deck. Be sure to first remove the black rubber door seal first though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts