2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Double rubber ringed Around the oil filter while changing Oil. So when i ran it the next morning i went without realizing all of my oil leaked out. I ran it about 15 miles and while ascending a hill it kind of just stopped on me. I put more oil in it and changed the filter. The car started back up and I ran it up the hill about 100 yards and it stopped again on me.

anyone have any idea if it’s a sensor issue?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't know about the sensor but if you ran it 15 miles without oil there was serious damage done to the engine. I know because I had it happen to me in my 1999 Golf when I misread the dashboard light that was telling me there was no oil. The engine seized in the busiest intersection around me on the cold day in years (it was in the teens Farenheit) and that was it for the engine and car. That is when i bought my 2014 Mazda 3.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You probably had metal shavings initially. Then as soon as you put oil in it and started it up. Poof they went all over the engine and siezed it. Very first place was probably the controller for the variable valve timing, once that sucker goes your engine just won't stay running. You'll need a full block and head replacement. Luckily, these motors are reliable which means the demand for them at the Junkyards should be pretty low meaning low prices for them.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Silly question.... didn't you notice the noise the engine was making when you started it up? Any engine will sound like ass with no oil.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ran an engine without the oil cap it was obvious change in sound I can't imagine without oil for 15 miles. Also you ignored the light indicating no oil pressure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You probably had metal shavings initially. Then as soon as you put oil in it and started it up. Poof they went all over the engine and siezed it. Very first place was probably the controller for the variable valve timing, once that sucker goes your engine just won't stay running. You'll need a full block and head replacement. Luckily, these motors are reliable which means the demand for them at the Junkyards should be pretty low meaning low prices for them.
So it will start and stay running but as soon as I put it in drive and go about 10 yards it just stops and everything shuts down.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
So it will start and stay running but as soon as I put it in drive and go about 10 yards it just stops and everything shuts down.
That variable valve timing motor as Mazda calls it runs on pretty tight tolerances. It's on the right side of the motor towards the back. If it's got metal shavings in it, then it won't be able to change timing which is what happens once you put it in drive and start accelerating. Then fuel, air and spark timings are messed up and the motor will simply shutdown as it probably knocks it's way down.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Well, the car failed you if the warning light didn't come on.

And, of course, you failed the car with the double-gasket trick. It is not uncommon for a gasket to stick to the car when the old filter is removed. And unfortunately, the result is a leaking double-gasket condition which inevitably leads to engine destruction if warning lights, buzzers or an oil pressure gauge at zero doesn't alert the driver.

I always run a finger in the grove where the gasket fits when removing a filter for change-out. I first wipe the area with a paper towel so I can clearly see if the old gasket is in there. Through the years I've found a couple of errant gaskets hiding in the groove like a coiled snake ready to bite.

After installing a new filter and filling the crankcase, it is commonly recommended to start the engine and run it a minute or so while observing the filter to make sure it doesn't leak.

I remember a few years ago a lady on her way to work stopped for an oil change at a station a couple of blocks away, then she drove on to work. At the end of the day, we were all walking to the parking lot and a guy next to me said, "Hey, look at that big oil streak coming from her car." We called out to her and she stopped. We looked and, sure enough, it was heavily leaking from the oil filter when the engine was running. It was either a loose filter, the wrong filter, a faulty filter, or a filter with two gaskets.

It happens, even when "professionals" do the job.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have another make of vehicle that needs a preset minimum oil pressure for the engine to run. I thought Mazda might be the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1/
Double rubber ringed Around the oil filter while changing Oil. So when i ran it the next morning i went without realizing all of my oil leaked out. I ran it about 15 miles and while ascending a hill it kind of just stopped on me. I put more oil in it and changed the filter. The car started back up and I ran it up the hill about 100 yards and it stopped again on me.

anyone have any idea if it’s a sensor issue

Topped off my wife's 929 and forgot my trusty or Protege's slow leak with the oil in hand (hurry, hurry). Pulled into traffic semi hard, much less than one tenth of a mile the bearings spoke to me. Quarter mile return to driveway on easy foot. GET A NEW USED ENGINE based on sale value of vehicle....unless you really like the car, then spend some money. You have been seized$$$$$.
PS Numy Nuts: Filter on, run engine and check for leaks....once ok, twice ohhh well....

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yeah, I have a 1996 F250 with the 7.3L diesel engine that won't start nor will it run without oil pressure. The reason: the engine's fuel injectors activate via oil pressure, and if there is no oil pressure, there is no fuel to run the engine. It's a beautiful concept.

However, even with conventional fuel injectors It would not be hard nor expensive to design a car with a switch that would turn off the ignition if the oil pressure sensor does not sense adequate oil pressure. I guess that so few vehicles suffer from oil pressure problems that it's not worth it to provide such a feature. Are there any cars that do?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yeah, I have a 1996 F250 with the 7.3L diesel engine that won't start nor will it run without oil pressure. The reason: the engine's fuel injectors activate via oil pressure, and if there is no oil pressure, there is no fuel to run the engine. It's a beautiful concept.

However, even with conventional fuel injectors It would not be hard nor expensive to design a car with a switch that would turn off the ignition if the oil pressure sensor does not sense adequate oil pressure. I guess that so few vehicles suffer from oil pressure problems that it's not worth it to provide such a feature. Are there any cars that do?
What you say is very true and a brilliant idea. The problem is money. Car manufacturers build their design as cheap as possible within their design. Even removing a single bolt makes a difference when your production numbers are in the hundreds of thousands. That's why we don't have safety things like this. I'd definitely like to see a cutoff that shuts down the engine for low oil pressure after say 10 seconds. It would need to be disabled for safety once the car is in motion, but you could easily eliminate many engine failures due to no oil this way.

Another one is a loud buzzer and warning on the infotainment screen for high engine temperature.yes there's the dummy light, but most people don't look at it. You could also take it a step further and have a coolant flow switch.

Transmission could be similar trips. No it's not hard. But it does cost more, even if only a little.

·
WEEBO KILLER
35 Posts
What you say is very true and a brilliant idea. The problem is money. Car manufacturers build their design as cheap as possible within their design. Even removing a single bolt makes a difference when your production numbers are in the hundreds of thousands. That's why we don't have safety things like this. I'd definitely like to see a cutoff that shuts down the engine for low oil pressure after say 10 seconds. It would need to be disabled for safety once the car is in motion, but you could easily eliminate many engine failures due to no oil this way.

Another one is a loud buzzer and warning on the infotainment screen for high engine temperature.yes there's the dummy light, but most people don't look at it. You could also take it a step further and have a coolant flow switch.

Transmission could be similar trips. No it's not hard. But it does cost more, even if only a little.
True and mazda is no different i failed to notice i didnt close the hatch the other day and drove with it slightly open for couple minutes no buzzar sound just light in the dash which i usually dont pay attention to since i have hud. Never been in vehicle that doesnt have a buzzar sound when the door is ajar

·
Registered
240 Posts

A lot of GM vehicles had the oil pressure interlock feature on the engine starting protocols in the late '80's to mid '90's at least. I don't know if they still do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts