2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a the factory 18" wheel with a low-profile tire.

My question: Can I go to a 16" tire/wheel combo?

I'm considering passing the car on to my daughter and I can already see that I'll regularly be replacing the low profile tires as she navigates her first few years of driving... :)

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts

I'm considering passing the car on to my daughter and I can already see that I'll regularly be replacing the low profile tires as she navigates her first few years of driving... :)
Yes, absolutely. As long as you stay somewhat close to OEM 16" specs you should have no problem. 17" with 50 series tires is also a good compromise between the two.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Your reason for wanting to go to a 16 may not the best solution you are trying to achieve and may cause other yet unforeseen problems.
I would NOT recomend changing to a 16 based on your first response that while the wheel size itself will fit it may change the steering, handling and braking characteristic which may not be in a positive manor.
I am sure that you will find many that are experienced in the tire wheel wheel business that will also concur.

I strongly recommend to contact a local Tire and wheel center or on line Tire Rack and discus with them the best option for your question.
https://www.tirerack.com/content/ti...rack'&ef_id=WrW1RQAAAIb2i3A-:20180325172215:s

I often post this and threads like this is a good reason why.
How to Get Good Car Repair Advice

SEE WEBSITE FOR GOOD INFORMATION:

Car Repair Advice
__________________________________________________ ____________

Car Repair Advice
Automotive Forums

Another source of information many people use on the internet are automotive forums. There are hundreds of forums dedicated to specific vehicle makes and models as well as more general automotive forums. Forums contain a wealth of information, but also a lot of misinformation and conflicting information.

The typical forum user will post a question in hopes that other forum users will respond and offer an answer or advice on how to solve the problem. But with all forums, there is no guarantee that anyone will respond or that any responses they do receive will be accurate or helpful. It all depends on the other forum members and who posts a response. Many forum users are quite knowledgeable and can provide exactly the kind of answer you are looking for. Other forum users want to be helpful and may venture a guess or offer an opinion that may or may not be accurate or may be totally wrong. In other words, it may be hard to distinguish good advice from bad advice.

Most forums are moderated to delete spam, rants and off-topic posts and comments that don't belong on the forum. But in most instances, the accuracy of the posts and responses is left up to the forum users. There's no editing or vetting or review of the comments that are posted. Consequently, if inaccurate or incorrect responses are posted to a question, other more knowledgeable users may or may not challenge a post or offer additional information.

We've seen many forum responses degenerate into endless bickering between conflicting points of view. We've also seen a lot of posts that totally contradict one another. There's nothing wrong with a good debate provided the people involved know what they are talking about. But unless there is some resolution to the debate, or some serious fact checking involved, the person who posted the original question may be left confused and no closer to finding an answer than when they started.

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
Seeing as how the 16" rim and tire is a factory original specification, installing the 16" rims in place of the 18" rims is easy and does not compromise anything. The car will ride better due to the larger sidewall, but other than that most people would not be able to tell the difference. There is nothing confusing about this, if you want 16" rims just do it. You'll be fine. You aren't the first to do this and certainly will not be the last.:smile2: I have 17x7.5s on mine and I didn't need to consult the stars, or have NASA engineer a solution for me, or even make offerings to the gods....:laughing001:
For rims, OEM is ok and they can be readily sourced used from any number of places somewhat inexpensively, but if you want to go aftermarket then the OEM rim specs are - 16x6.5 +50mm offset, 114.5x5 bolt circle, 67.1 center bore, tires are 205/60-16.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Seeing as how the 16" rim is a factory original , installing the 16" rims in place of the 18" rims is easy.
It is not always about a empirical answer (the generic is not totally accurate) ... some members that want to respond should read what the OP was fully saying and asking. I carefully choose my words and answer that I felt would most benefit him and his needs. If a member is smart enough to join an internet forum about a car I am sure they can find specifications just like the next guy. What many members of forums like this want may be a little more advise beyond what they can find for themselves on the WWW with respect to what was offered directly from the auto maker ?

·
Banned
842 Posts

Straight answer ....sure why NOT YES

1 - 7 of 7 Posts