2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we have the hatchback and sedan, what if Mazda had made a coupe version of their 3? I think since we already have the sedan and hatch, a coupe configuration may be far fetched. Or what if Mazda drops the hatch (unlikely I bet) and keeps the sedan but offers a coupe? I like how the Civic and Accords come in coupe and sedan....kinda wished Mazda did the same.

I know this is a Civic but I can't help but think how a Mazda 3 coupe (and better yet a Mazdaspeed version) would smash on the Civic.
Not to mention the sales....I bet tons of people would love to have a 3 coupe.

*Especially since were in North America....Americans favor sedans and coupes over hatchbacks (Europe loves the hot hatch).

^This already looks pretty sleek...take away the 2 extra doors and bam! Pure hotness.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Everyone keeps *saying* Americans prefer sedans, but I don't fully believe it. At least, the preferences is diluted among:

a) Younger buyers
b) Import (Asian and European) buyers
c) Traditional small-car buyers.

Go to a dealer lot and see what they have more of... and it's not because they sell in equal ratios. For the '3, it's hard to keep the 5-door on the lot.

The coupe, though, is sort of a hard sell.

- I prefer 2-door car bodies for ease of ingress/egress being tall
- It looks less like a "family car"

But that's about all that it would have in its favor.

- Back seat access sucks.
- Limited rear seat comfort for passengers
- Cargo suffers, being more sedan-like.

The last one could be mitigated by doing a 3-door hatch. Again, for a smaller size-class car a coupe is meh for practicality but a 3-door is pretty useful if you don't plan on using the back seat for passengers very often.

If you can shave enough length off the wheelbase to reduce weight significantly, that's the big win.. but that's often a serious engineering and suspension tuning challenge.

The other argument against it is that the 3 never has been. It's always been a 4/5 door car. That doesn't mean it *can't* be-- look at Subaru's complete inability to figure out what an Impreza or WRX actually "should be."-- you've got 3 door hatches, sedans, wagons, weird off-road centric wagons, etc. that change from generation to generation. Hyundai's taking the shotgun approach all of a sudden. Elantra sedan not good enough? Here, have a coupe. Here, have a 5-door.

--
Having said that, it comes down to passengers and cargo for me. I bought a wagon because I have a kid who is still too young (read: short/lightweight) to sit in the front seat. I can't *really* be in the 2-door market right now, but if the 3 were also a coupe it has serious competition towards the higher end. I'd have the option for a RWD coupe... and as much as I love the 3, it's not RWD. It would be a somewhat harder sell because things like the Genesis Coupe and FR-S exist.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Mazda is a small car company and already has too many models in the 3 line-up. If they sold twice as many cars, you'd probably see a coupe as well. But it is a matter of economics. The sedan and hatch share many more parts than a coupe would.

And Americans do favor sedans dramatically. If you take a look at the Accord on cars.com, you'll see 63,000 sedans and only 8,000 coupes. This isn't even close. The reason for this is biological -- i.e., most families have kids and when you have kids you need 4 doors. The biggest demographic segment are the boomers who often take passengers. For the most part, young kids don't have the money to buy a lot of new cars and certainly not Mazda's as you pay a premium for a Mazda.

Reactions: jeremiah

·
Registered
136 Posts
Everyone keeps *saying* Americans prefer sedans, but I don't fully believe it. At least, the preferences is diluted among:

a) Younger buyers
b) Import (Asian and European) buyers
c) Traditional small-car buyers.

Go to a dealer lot and see what they have more of... and it's not because they sell in equal ratios. For the '3, it's hard to keep the 5-door on the lot.
I agree that it's worth challenging the conventional wisdom that Americans prefer sedans, but it seems like it's very much on a car-by-car basis. Hatch buyers are drawn to certain hatches, not just any ones.

Also, all that you learn from looking at what is and isn't on dealer lots is how things are selling compared to what Mazda expected. I imagine the 3 hatch outsells Mazda's expectations for the hatch, hence the shortage, but that doesn't mean it has to outsell the sedan (I don't know if it actually does or not, though).

Imagine Mazda thought it would sell 60% sedans and 40% hatches. They send over that same ratio of cars, but the hatch ends up selling more than expected, maybe it's 50/50. This would leave more sedans on the lot even though sales were equal.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I agree that it's worth challenging the conventional wisdom that Americans prefer sedans, but it seems like it's very much on a car-by-car basis. Hatch buyers are drawn to certain hatches, not just any ones.

Also, all that you learn from looking at what is and isn't on dealer lots is how things are selling compared to what Mazda expected. I imagine the 3 hatch outsells Mazda's expectations for the hatch, hence the shortage, but that doesn't mean it has to outsell the sedan (I don't know if it actually does or not, though).

Imagine Mazda thought it would sell 60% sedans and 40% hatches. They send over that same ratio of cars, but the hatch ends up selling more than expected, maybe it's 50/50. This would leave more sedans on the lot even though sales were equal.
The other factor is the Mazda 6. If I were buying a sedan, I'd go with the 6 and not the 3 as the mpg is about the same and you get a lot more room in the 6. That's why I would expect that many people looking at the 3 in a showroom will eventually buy the 6 for a few grand more.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but as sexy as it could be, it won't and shouldn't. Just like the Civic, I don't think having a 2-door compact is a good idea. Remember the price you're paying and you're limiting yourself to much less versatility? People who are in the market for a compact want more for their money, so it doesn't make sense to cut down so much on your value as to only offering 2 doors in such an econobox like a Civic or a Mazda 3. People nowadays are smarter buyers and demand value for their money. Coupes won't be as big sellers as sedans or hatchbacks.

Just my opinion. Cars like the FR-S have their place (albeit limited) in the market. Cars like the TC don't, and for a manufacturer struggling with sales, they should definitely not build a whole new bodystyle for the Mazda 3. It means many different moulds for different parts and stoking dealer lots with cars that would potentially linger and be discounted to sell.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The other factor is the Mazda 6. If I were buying a sedan, I'd go with the 6 and not the 3 as the mpg is about the same and you get a lot more room in the 6. That's why I would expect that many people looking at the 3 in a showroom will eventually buy the 6 for a few grand more.
Someone could even get into a Mazda6 for a few grand LESS, if they took the 6 sport over the 3 S which share the same 2.5L engine. And the 6 has an optional manual trans....the 2.5L 3 can't say that...at least not yet ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
marketing marketing marketing

Now, Mazda 3 at almost Camry price range is not exactly a cheap car. And trust me, because coupe will not sale as much, they will price it even higher.

who would buy a Mazda 3 coupe?
younger car enthusiast buyers, some college students, even some high school student would ask their parents for.

Now would not a car enthusiast ask more horsepower? a rear wheel? more sport oriented car?
Make no mistake, as much fun and sporty a Mazda 3 is/feels, it still seats over 6" high in the sky, and in my book, that is the exact opposite of sporty. So they have to go back to drawing board and make a slicker car from ground up. That will increase the price even more.

Now who are the competitors? BRZ or the scion one, civic, Kia forte, genesis coupe, base model Camaro, and mustang, maybe the golf gti, and if my calculation is right the price will stack up very close to BMW 1 series, and maybe close to a bare bone basic 370z.
And if I was shopping for sporty 2 door car, trust me, apart from Kia and civic, I would take any of the above car over a 2 door fwd 2.5 mazda 3.

Mazda already have the mighty Miata, and we all know there is an RX in the corner. Are nt they planning for 2015? What would be the reason for a 2 door Mazda 3?

No, please don't change Mazda 3, and leave the coupes to the correct models. Instead focus to get them to the best possible. As Mazda is known for. :yes:

·
Registered
356 Posts
i think the hatch is one of the defining brand traits of the Mazda3.
if mazda wanted to sell more Mazda3's, they couldve made a Mazdaspeed3 in sedan form too, but they didnt.
its the hatch that Mazda wants to be the halo or hero car for the mazda3 line.
introducing a coupe will just dilute the mazda3 brand and introduce additional R&D costs.
mazda is a small company. i rather have them spend r&d in making the car better and improving manufacturing than to spend it on multiple body styles.

·
Technical Director
303 Posts
If they had a coupe option, we would've bought it. Or, a three door. That would've been fun!

·
Registered
583 Posts
A two door coupe would be for a very small nitch market and Mazda is not big enough for that market. Also believe that the hatch will be here to stay for a while yet. Not sure if a coupe will show in the M6 market as well as not too many people will buy a car for a 2 person family as getting in and out of the back seat would be ruff on a regular basis. Again ; Mazda is after the mass market.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts