2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Some genius at Mazda decided to save cost by removing the switch on the back dome light... my problem is that my son sometimes needs a light in the back, to get a snack or look at a book. But the back light cannot be turned on separately from the front. How complicated would be to put a light with a switch on from an older model (my 2007 has it)?

I assume there is no "live" power wire coming to the back, so I would need to fish a wire and connect it to the front dome lights.

Thanks,

Sebi

·
Registered
719 Posts
You might be able to find where that rear dome light is connected to the present switch up front. If so, you can cut that wire, solder a new wire and extend it to the fuse box located in the cabin just left of the driver's left leg, and tie that wire into an "always on" circuit with an "add-a-fuse" device available at auto stores. This would get you power to that rear dome light and thus prevent you from having to "fish" a new wire in the headliner. Then, you can install a switch on or adjacent to the rear dome light so it can be turned on from the back, or just install a new light there with a built-in switch.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Or you can spend $3 and stick a booklight in the pouch behind your seat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts