2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

2014 iGT AT: Help diagnosing possible transmission problem

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  deafhead 
#1 ·
TL;DR: I feel like my transmission is having a problem shifting but there are no check engine codes, I've linked a short video at the bottom showing the issue.

I'm looking for some help diagnosing a possible transmission issue on my 2014 iGT with automatic transmission. I've had this issue to varying degrees since I purchased the car new in April 2014, but they tend to be worse in the colder weather. The transmission jerks into first gear when going from reverse to first gear unless I deliberately sit in first gear for a few seconds before pressing the accelerator.

The second, more concerning issue, is that the transmission surges roughly 500 rpm when shifting from second to third gear. It is kind of difficult to capture on video. In the car you can feel a lurch which makes it much more pronounced. When the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd, the engine revs while it's between gears and it acts kind of like an engine break for a split second, the car noticeably slows before accelerating again in 3rd gear. Again, these problems are worse in the cold but I've seen them happen even above 50 degrees.

I always allow my car to idle between 30-60 seconds minimum before driving. If it's winter and its colder out then I let it idle 1-2 minutes before driving. The issue seems to be a bit more pronounced if driving moderately aggressively, but also occurs even when driving extremely conservatively.
I took the car into the dealer to have them check this issue in 2015 and they said they found nothing wrong. The service manager blamed it on the "drive by wire" system feeling different than other cars.
I'm still within my powertrain warranty for about the next 12,000 miles so I want to get the issue resolved before I'm on the hook for the cost. I'm hoping you all can help me with at least determining if this seems like a legit issue with the transmission or maybe the ECU needs to be reprogrammed or maybe it's my fault.

Any guidance would be helpful before I go into the dealer asking for them to take another look. Since it only consistently happens when it's cold and it's been sitting for hours, I'd need to drop the car off the night before, get a loaner vehicle, etc so I'd like to know if it is a real issue before I bring it in.

Thank you!

https://youtu.be/noHdPD89snM
https://youtu.be/INTdd1zb_ok

See less See more
#3 ·
As of that jerk from reverse to first gear, i had the same issue from my 2014 2.5L auto. I brought it into the dealership to have to look at 4 times already but they were unable to diagnose what the issue was. It happens once in awhile. I have a feeling this is something to do with the torque convertor.

#4 ·
Hi there, You could try putting your transmission through it's initial learning phase,it is rather complex so is probably best carried out by your dealer. It involves cycling your box through it's operations several times with your vehicle stationary and at set temperatures. Your problem can be caused by low hydraulic pressure in the internal auto clutch assembly,so best to get the problem nailed before expiry of warranty. It might just be your box does not like low temps.

All the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.