2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda 3 AWD turbo hatch
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a lot of posts on several Mazda forums talking about rattle/vibration/buzzing (call it what you will) coming from one or both front speakers in 2014+ Bose systems, as well as a lot of suggestions about possible causes, but no real solution for some of you. For those of you who hear a "rattling" noise coming from your front Bose speakers, I may have an answer for you. My 2015S GT (with Bose) with <24K miles developed a rattle in the driver's side speaker a few months back. It got progressively worse to where I could hear it with the volume set at just 6. I could also hear the rattle just by rapping on the lower door panel when the sound was off. It sounded a lot like the speakers were blown from music too loud, but I knew that wasn't the case. Not long after that, the right speaker also developed the same rattle. The strange thing was, the rattle sound wasn't always there, and I didn't always hear it from both speakers. The rattle seemed to come and go largely based on the outside or inside cabin temperature, but that wasn't always the case. I checked for loose screws, loose speaker grilles, loose items in the door pockets, but none of them were the problem. No clear cause for the problem. I finally took the car to the good folks at Mazda of West Ridge in Rochester, NY and told them exactly what I was hearing and when I was hearing it. They took the inside front door panels off, examined the speakers, and discovered that part of the diaphragm on the BACK of each speaker had separated from the speaker frame, causing part of the diaphragm to vibrate or "rattle" freely. They showed me where the diaphragm had separated on one speaker and I managed to get a picture so the problem has now been verified and documented. If you look just below the person's thumb on the right in the attached photo you can clearly see the diaphragm separation on the speaker back. They ordered new speakers and replaced both defective ones under warranty at no charge. So far, the rattle is gone. In my case, the problem appears to have been caused by moisture which caused the diaphragm to separate from the frame, not from playing the music too loud. If you're having this same problem and your car is under warranty, I suggest you take it to your dealer and have them check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's crazy. I wouldn't have thought the speaker would start to disintegrate over time.
Mine rattles pretty badly, but its the door card and various other bits around the cabin. I listen to a lot of bassy music.
How big are these front Bose speakers?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread, I've got this "rattling" in certain instances. I've taken the door panel off and the speaker still rattles when music is played. Definitely sounds as if it's coming from behind the speaker. For those who google "Mazda 3 Door Rattle" I'll update with what I find after removal and potentially replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There have been a lot of posts on several Mazda forums talking about rattle/vibration/buzzing (call it what you will) coming from one or both front speakers in 2014+ Bose systems, as well as a lot of suggestions about possible causes, but no real solution for some of you. For those of you who hear a "rattling" noise coming from your front Bose speakers, I may have an answer for you. My 2015S GT (with Bose) with <24K miles developed a rattle in the driver's side speaker a few months back. It got progressively worse to where I could hear it with the volume set at just 6. I could also hear the rattle just by rapping on the lower door panel when the sound was off. It sounded a lot like the speakers were blown from music too loud, but I knew that wasn't the case. Not long after that, the right speaker also developed the same rattle. The strange thing was, the rattle sound wasn't always there, and I didn't always hear it from both speakers. The rattle seemed to come and go largely based on the outside or inside cabin temperature, but that wasn't always the case. I checked for loose screws, loose speaker grilles, loose items in the door pockets, but none of them were the problem. No clear cause for the problem. I finally took the car to the good folks at Mazda of West Ridge in Rochester, NY and told them exactly what I was hearing and when I was hearing it. They took the inside front door panels off, examined the speakers, and discovered that part of the diaphragm on the BACK of each speaker had separated from the speaker frame, causing part of the diaphragm to vibrate or "rattle" freely. They showed me where the diaphragm had separated on one speaker and I managed to get a picture so the problem has now been verified and documented. If you look just below the person's thumb on the right in the attached photo you can clearly see the diaphragm separation on the speaker back. They ordered new speakers and replaced both defective ones under warranty at no charge. So far, the rattle is gone. In my case, the problem appears to have been caused by moisture which caused the diaphragm to separate from the frame, not from playing the music too loud. If you're having this same problem and your car is under warranty, I suggest you take it to your dealer and have them check it out.
Hi. Thanks for the information, however, you are right with the separation. My car is out of warranty. Quick fix is to put some quick dry super glue and let dry. The rattle has gone. I can't tell you how long this will last, but it does the job.
Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Thanks for the information, however, you are right with the separation. My car is out of warranty. Quick fix is to put some quick dry super glue and let dry. The rattle has gone. I can't tell you how long this will last, but it does the job.
Cheers
I was curious if super glue would work, thanks for being the lab rat.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Add me to the list, couple bucks for gorilla glue and couple broken clips later rattle is gone.
I let it dry overnight and did it on a hot dry day. No issues and still no rattle after a month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, is it still working today? I need to fix mine and I've been trying to decide whether super glue or a silicone sealant would be the best long-term solution. Thanks!
Hi, I had this exact same problem back in 2016 but in a CX-5 2014. Fixed it with super glue and it still holds up well until now.
Found this thread because the other speaker started rattling and I actually forgot how to fix it :LOL:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts