2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forum enjoying my new to me mazda 3, but the HID headlight is out on the passenger side. Replaced the bulb, no fix. Checked the fuse, good. So now I bought a known good ballast for it, installed it, and still no light. Very frustrated. Can anyone shed some light (literally) ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took the bumper off to get better access, and found that my rh hid light assembly works on the left side. Fuse is good and the relay appears to be good. I am really stumped here.

So to sum it up: LH HID works fine. RH HID does not work. Ballast and ignitor from RH side with new bulb work fine when tired on left side. All fuses and relays good.

?

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
Is there power going to the light? Check power output from the plug, check continuity in both ground and power wires, check the plug itself for broken wires or connectors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I gave in and took it to the local dealer....They repeated my same results. They want $1080 estimate to start trying to trace it down in the wiring harness and....get this....$3850 to replace said harness as an option. What a joke. Really regretting this used purchase, may have to try and dump it on carmax if I can't figure it out. Does anyone have the actual wiring diagrams for the car? I bought a download factory manual off ebay and it does not have actual wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Use a voltmeter/multimeter to test for voltage.
Put the black lead on a grounding point on the car, and then with the low beams set to on (but don't plug in the headlight harness to the main harness) stick the red lead into all the connections and check for 13v. You can do the same on the drivers side to see which wire is the low beam by simply turning off the low beams once you find a 13v source, and if the wire goes down to 0, that's the low beams. Passenger side should be same position/wire colour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did all that stuff, no juice. I created a jumper wire with a t-tap and ran it to the fuse for the RH side and low and behold it works. So it is the power wire that is broken in between the fuse box and the light itself. Now I have to either figure out what wire it is in the harness, or open up the fuse box and just run my jumper wire to the hot off the bottom of the fuse box. What a mess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar issue in my 2014 sGT. Passanger HID is out, I swamped bulbs and it fine on the other side. I am not too good with this stuff, was wondering if you got anywhere with this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts