2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My 2014 2.2d sky active recently started showing several Malfunction/warning notices/lights at the same time whilst I was driving through slow-moving traffic, the warnings that have come up are,
1. TPMS Malfunction
2. DSC Malfunction
3. DPF Malfunction
4. SCBS Malfunction
5. Engine malfunction
6. Digital gear indicator stopped displaying
Alongside this, the engine seems to have gone in to limp mode with it not really going above 2000rpm. All of these appeared at exactly the same time and the car had been running fine beforehand.
Has anyone experienced similar before? Any ideas what it could be?
Ollie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Out of the top of my head, one of these things could be the root cause of your problem :

car battery is dying..
It might be at the end of it´s life OR maybe the connectors are not tightened fully..
I experienced similar behaviour with a 6 year old start stop battery in my 2013 skyactivD 2.2..
Check the voltage and charge capability with an OBD scan tool..
should you replace it, check the correct type of battery you need in the user manual!

Another possible cause
DPF is completely clogged. this happens when you use your car most of the times for short trips under 15km only.
Your car can´t exhale anymore because the exhaust is blocked by soot.
This can trigger al sorts of faults. As a result it will also go into limp mode to prevent damage.
You can unblock it by performing a manual regeneration service procedure with Forscan and a OBD adapter..Do this only when the car is warm. You should see a cloud of black smoke coming out..

Disclaimer.. I can only guess..you should check all the DTC you receive when scanning for faults first and let a mechanic have a look at it when not familiar with car repair!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine did this less the dpf fault and I was messed around a lot by Mazda but they eventually inspected my O2 sensor by chance and noticed excessive carbon build up. Sensor had to be changed and engine carbon cleaned and not had the problem since so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JPK, it turned out to be the same O2 sensor issue for me, that was replaced and it resolved all the problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been having a similar issue on my 2015 model. The TPMS, DSC and SCBS lights come on. I bought an OBD which showed code P0101 (Mass air flow sensor out of range). I unplugged the MAF and it looked fine but I cleaned it anyway with a cleaner. Problem hasn't gone away. The mechanic said they might need to replace the sensor for £300 but I think I'd rather be certain of the cause than just throw money at replacing parts and hope it's correct.

For the record, I was tracking the live data on my phone when the three lights came on.The MAF readings seemed fine but the throttle position sensor seems to have gotten stuck at around 90% open.Curious to know how others have diagnosed and resolved similar issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine was occurring mostly after braking to slow speeds in traffic then trying to accelerate moderately/hard again. When I explained this to the Mazda guys they had a hunch and removed the O2 sensor where they saw excessive carbon deposits, i had the issue sorted at Mazda Stockport last December if you wanna try talk to them about it or get your mechanic pull out the O2 sensor himself

·
Registered
112 Posts
The only other cure I've read on here for similar system malfunctions is a faulty brake sender unit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine was occurring mostly after braking to slow speeds in traffic then trying to accelerate moderately/hard again. When I explained this to the Mazda guys they had a hunch and removed the O2 sensor where they saw excessive carbon deposits, i had the issue sorted at Mazda Stockport last December if you wanna try talk to them about it or get your mechanic pull out the O2 sensor himself
Quite far from Stockport but my dealer in Derby said it would be £114 to do a diagnostics first. Seemed a little steep to me.
My issue only seems to occur on the motorway so could be different to yours. Think I might just bite the bullet and take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So an update on my issue, I have taken it to Mazda on several occasions at this point and no fix. The latest suggestion seems to be it's the exhaust pressure sensor. I asked how certain they are of this and no confidence was inspired. It's what their diagnostics pointed towards and their by-the-book repair is to replace the sensor prior to investigating the cause properly. So £190 to try a fix and if it doesn't work, I'm £190 out of pocket but at least they'll take another look!

Other repairs undertaken for this issue: replaced MAF sensor, induction decoke (engine carbon clean). No mention of 02 sensors by the Mazda mechanics yet, but I'd have guessed the decoke took care of that. If not, they'll probably charge me another £114 for diagnostics if I ask them to inspect this.

I've owned this car for 6 months and it's averaging one trip to the mechanic per month. Losing a lot of faith in Mazda...

·
Registered
112 Posts
The new sensor has worked for me and still no issues over a year later. Ask to keep the original sensor and get a receipt for the new one, if it doesn't work switch it back and sell the new one on eBay as nearly new. should be quite easy as Mazda would've already fought through any corrosion to put the new one in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply, that's not a bad shout. I don't really know my way around a car's sensors so will have to try and figure out where it is first! I'll ask if they can have a look at the O2 sensor whilst they're at it. I suspect they'll say it's fine, but will see.

To expand on my initial post for anyone who ends up here by googling their symptoms: I've now realised the lights only come on when I'm going downhill, around 70mph, and I slow down. As soon as I ease off the gas pedal to allow engine braking to decrease the speed, that's when the lights come on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem and it's not MAF, we tried switching it with another Mazda 6. But the problem stays the same. Another way for me to trigger the error is if I drive on the highway for a long time at 100 mph (160 km/h) and then decelerate / brake off the highway ramp quickly.
Haven't solved it yet though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't had the lights return after the pressure sensor replacement (touch wood) and I've driven about 150 miles since then. The part that was replaced was the exhaust pressure sensor, item code SH02C.

I asked them to check the o2 sensors and they said it was fine, the initial induction decoke took care of that apparently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't had the lights return after the pressure sensor replacement (touch wood) and I've driven about 150 miles since then. The part that was replaced was the exhaust pressure sensor, item code SH02C.

I asked them to check the o2 sensors and they said it was fine, the initial induction decoke took care of that apparently.
A quick update I also tried switching the throttle body with another of the same car it is also not the cause of the problem. I am quite lucky that I know someone with an identical car but no problems so I can test out solutions. I will check your solution next and provide an update once I try it.
Thank you for the update!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay it was the Throttle body all along (Scooby-Doo moment). Once replaced it just needed a different software (because those in production now are different than the stock ones), the cause of the error was not the same as before when checked by an OBD. So everything is okay now!

·
Registered
153 Posts
This post has been an eyeopener. My 2014 2.2d has thrown the same issues.It is booked in with the dealer next week so lets see what happens, I will at least ask the questions about the throttle body. Only issue is no loaner cars due to covid!!!
Fingers crossed

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi All,
My 2014 2.2d sport nav has also had problems, however mine has become serious! All the above symptoms, power loss, TPMS,DCS,SCBS warning lights. Took into dealer today for them to tell me that the smaller turbo had failed. It appears that this is a known issue as checking other forums it is something that has been seen on the same engine in MZD 6 and also CX5. Anyhow upshot is now waiting to hear if Mazda UK will make any contribution to the £1800+ repair cost or not. For info car has only done 56000 miles, has a full mzd service history(up until last oil change due to lockdown and cost!) i am hopeful, but also concerned what other damage may have been done. In the other forums they have talked about camshaft damage... fingers crossed and i will keep you informed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hopefully they'll sort something for you, Mazda are quite good for out of warranty repairs. But scary though for all us skyactiv d owner's, diesel's used to be bullet proof but seems we're having to baby them more and more nowadays as we've paid the cost for lighter, hence weaker parts all in the pursuit of pumped up economy figures

1 - 18 of 18 Posts