2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
Seems it was removed for some reason. It was an announcement of a recall due to rust in the parking brake actuator mechanism due to rubber boots not sealing properly.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Seems it was removed for some reason. It was an announcement of a recall due to rust in the parking brake actuator mechanism due to rubber boots not sealing properly.
Was this for the 2017's that have the electronic parking brake? Im still weary about using it in winter and sincerely hope it doesn't act up in -30C weather.

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
The story did not elaborate or go into any details such as model year or serial number ranges. It was just a brief announcement on the Mazda website.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i'd assume this is NA only??

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yeah well I'm in Australia. But the car was built in Japan.. so it's a little confusing. I know some of the older us models came from Japan before the Mexico factory opened

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah well I'm in Australia. But the car was built in Japan.. so it's a little confusing. I know some of the older us models came from Japan before the Mexico factory opened
I've got a 2017 in the US and it was made in Japan. Actually, all of the manual transmission 2.5L engine models I could run VIN's at dealers within 200 miles of me were Japanese made.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Once the VIN range (chassis/frame number for JDM vehicles) is released we'll know country of origin and it will become clearer where the vehicles were sold. The info so far tells us that vehicles are located in US and Japan. The article from Japan indicates the problem exists in a broader market.

These vehicles are made in Japan, NA, Europe, China and beyond. I'm thinking this could be a global recall for the 3 and 6 with mechanical parking brake. Any further delineation will have to await the detailed release.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Here's more info on parking brake recall:

Detroit News said:
Mazda recalls cars for parking brake problem

Associated Press Published 9:08 a.m. ET June 30, 2017 | Updated 1 hour ago

Mazda is recalling nearly 228,000 cars in the U.S. because the parking brake may not fully release or could fail to hold the cars, increasing the risk of a crash.

The recall covers certain Mazda 6 cars from the 2014 and 2015 model years and the Mazda 3 from 2014 through 2016.

The company says water can get into the brake caliper, causing a shaft to corrode and bind. If that happens, the parking brake can get stuck in the on position or fail to fully engage. That can let the cars roll unexpectedly if parked on a slope.

The problem affects only cars with a hand-operated parking brake lever system, according to documents posted Friday by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Mazda is recalling U.S. Mazda 3s from 2014 through 2016 for parking brake problems [does not apply to those vehicles with electronic parking brakes].

The company got its first report of the problem in April of 2015 in Canada but decided to monitor it because it hadn’t received other reports. By February of 2017 Mazda had 13 reports in the U.S. of the problem happening on both models. It traced the cause to a sealing boot that wasn’t keeping water out. A collision was reported in Germany when a Mazda 6 rolled off unexpectedly, damaging the rear end. Another crash with bumper damage was reported in the United Kingdom. It wasn’t clear from the documents if there were any injuries.

Messages were left outside of normal business hours Friday for Mazda spokesmen to find out whether cars outside the U.S. are being recalled.

Dealers will check the rear brakes. If shafts are corroded, they’ll replace the calipers. If not, they’ll replace a boot that keeps water out.

Owners will be notified starting August 21.
Mazda recalls cars for parking brake problem

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is interesting because over this past winter I was having an issue with the rear brakes getting stuck closed which wore away my rear pads very quickly. I don't normally use the parking brake, except when visiting areas where I'm parking on an incline and I did use it prior to when things locked up. I wonder if it's related to this?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Your supposition has merit for further review. If you go in for the recall and they confirm in the process of replacing your seal and maybe more) as part of that recall, I would -- and am guessing you already came to this same conclusion, have them pay particular attention to your rear pads, and if again worn more than they should be at this point, gently tell them to replace your rear pads.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your supposition has merit for further review (for as we agreed on another thread, the 3 wears its rear brakes faster than its fronts). If you go in for the recall and they confirm in the process of replacing your seal and maybe more) as part of that recall, I would -- and am guessing you already came to this same conclusion, have them pay particular attention to your rear pads, and if again worn more than they should be at this point, gently tell them to replace your rear pads.
Thanks for the tip. I definitely am going to ask them about it. When it happened, they said that they had to lubricate the calipers to release properly and that we'd check it again the next time I was in. I just had it in for an oil change and they didn't notice an issue with it this time.

Part of me was thinking it may have had to do with the fact that it was a dealer demo that had sat on the lot for awhile. They had to resurface the rotors before I took ownership due to some rust spots, but I never had any trouble with it for the first year and a half. In fact, I didn't even notice the rear wheels dragging, but I knew something was up because the check tire pressure light kept going off this past winter after I had my snow tires swapped on. I was chalking that up to traction loss and wheel spin, but the locked brakes may have also played a role.

So with all that in mind, if I do need to get the recall done, I'm going to bring up the replaced break pads and resurfacing the rear rotors again. See if there's a connection to the recall and have them verify the rear pads.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Thanks, going to keep my eye on this one. Driving manual, I use my parking brake often. Sometimes they stick a little when I release. Wonder if it's related?

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
i have the 2017 Mazda 3 and just had my 1st oil change, my rears are wearing faster than my fronts and I was told that is normal for this model. Not sure if that is true of the 2014/15's but its possible.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts