2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

2013 Speed Xenon headlights dim

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  acedeuce802 
#1 ·
Hello all,

So upfront newbie. But the site rocks. Cool and knowledgeable members. Proud to be part of the brotherhood. My 2013 MSP3 Xenon headlights w/ AFS, for about a year one headlight is about 50% dimmer than the other. Car has 93k miles and runs flawlessly otherwise.

I spoke to the dealership service guy, I know him well and trust he's not ripping me off. However going through them will cost $$$. He educated me on how the front bumper has to come off to diagnose and make repairs. It's likely a ballast , not bulb issue. Makes sense to me because I would think a bulb either works or it doesn't. Considering the cost of upkeep I almost wish I didn't have the Xenon light.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? If I pull the font end apart I will replace both bulbs. I'd like to have more info about the ballasts though. Don't want to buy them if not necessary. I've watched the videos and can handle taking it apart.

Thanks call

Cheers

#2 ·
Your thinking is actually opposite. Ballasts generally work or they don't. Bulbs will decrease light output as they age. OEM xenon lights usually last around 2000 hours, which an average of 40 mile per hour puts you at 80k miles. I would replace with some kind of Osram or Phillips bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.