2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 mazda 3 has a USB port in the center console...yet i cant figure out what its or because when i plug in my USB flash drive that has songs on it nothing happens....its like its not even there....whats the USB port for/do? My AUX works fine....got the base system not BOSE...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
From what I have learned, you have to make sure it's formatted in fat32 (pretty sure that's the one) then reinstall the songs if you needed to format. Make sure you wait like 8-10 seconds after the car(or radio rather) is turned on before you plug in your USB device. Then you may need to wait another 15 seconds or so while it reads. If you did it correctly at this point you should see some activity wherever your radio readout is. On my bose/sat/nav system it shows "reading device" or something to that effect under my USB tab on the screen. My iPhone works the same way with that USB.
It finicky but should work. Annoys me how it won't restart from where you left off once you turn off the car but better than not having one at all I suppose. Good luck

·
Registered
752 Posts
Agreed with all of the above make sure its fat32, You can also plug in I devices like phones and I pads and they just work with it even streaming. Nothing like literally having any song in the world at your fingertips on the road.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Modifying my factory USB port today to short out the middle two (data) terminals so it acts as just a charge port in hopes that it will successfully CHARGE my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" that is my new infotainment system in the car :):shuriken:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
There are aftermarket options if you weren't already aware. Basically it's a USB add on you wire independently or from a tapped fuse. They make them to either add more USB outlets or specifically for people like you with charging issues. I personally like that option better than shorting out your oem outlet because you may find something cool looking to add to your dash panel. Or it gives the option to put it anywhere you like.
Just thought I'd mention it but good luck whatever you decide!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah... I chickened out. I took the factory one that comes w/ the aux plug apart to the ckt board... they have the aux line sharing the usb circuitry on the board and I don't know which is which so I decided not to screw with that. Instead, I took a 2.1A charger apart and soldered the two data pins together to short them out so that this should behave like a full blown charger now, just have to go in the key on cigarette lighter by the shifter. Will test tonight when I get home and hope this charges the tablet so I can proceed with my Galaxy Tab Infotainment Install!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts