2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

2013 Mazda 3 Totaled - what did you guys move onto?

6K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  TheMuffinMan 
#1 ·
Due to some unfortunate events, my 3 crashed & burned leaving literally nothing behind.

I'm not quite sure what vehicle I want to replace it so I figured I'd ask the community to see if anyone had upgraded to a '14, changes models (like a CX5 or 6), or changed brands entirely. I won't have any negative equity on the loan (thanks Gap!) so I'll be starting fresh.

Any input guys?

#2 ·
I would just buy another 3. I currently have the 2013 Touring 5 door. I talked the lady friend into buying a brand new 2015 Touring 5 door. Changes are significant and I think you'll love the upgrade.

The few advantages to the 2013 over the 2015 is that the center cup holders have a cover, the gas tank is 1.3 gallons bigger, the glove box is much bigger, and they come with CD players (2015 no longer does).

Otherwise, the 2015 has improvements that you'll really like. You can now program options yourself with the on-board computer apps that you couldn't do before. The 2015 has more standard options too.

#3 ·
I often think about what I would go buy next if my car got totaled. I drive in SoCal, so it's a scenario that I should be prepared for.

I would like to upgrade to a Speed3, but with how crazy the squeaks and rattles are in my current 3, I'm not sure all that power is worth the continued hit to my sanity. I'd love a WRX or Legacy GT Wagon, but am hesitant for the same reason.

Currently it's a toss-up between a TSX wagon, E39 wagon, or IS300 Sportcross. Out of the 3 the E39 is the most appealing to me, but 10-year-old BMW reliability is...

... I think that constant rattle in my 3 has officially driven me insane.

#4 ·
Sorry to hear you lost the car.

I traded in my wife's MZ3 SA for a 2015 CX5, touring. I really like the car and enjoy driving it on our road trips. It's comfortable and very handy to have. I've been writing about it here:

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69753

If I had to replace MS3, I'd go with a Nissan Maxima. It was my first car, and I've been liking all the newer models. Or a MZ6, if I stayed in the Mazda family.

The question always boils down to, how much do you want to spend?

#10 ·
Sorry to hear you lost the car.

I traded in my wife's MZ3 SA for a 2015 CX5, touring. I really like the car and enjoy driving it on our road trips. It's comfortable and very handy to have. I've been writing about it here:

mazdaspeedmyk's 2015 Mazda CX5 - 2004 to 2014 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums

If I had to replace MS3, I'd go with a Nissan Maxima. It was my first car, and I've been liking all the newer models. Or a MZ6, if I stayed in the Mazda family.

The question always boils down to, how much do you want to spend?
Appreciate it - I am pretty bummed I lost it too. It did save my life though so I'm incredibly thankful for it. You were actually one of the users that came to mind with the CX5 and why I mentioned potentially switching up to a different model. I owned a Honda Pilot previously in addition to the MZ3 and really enjoyed having the space in the SUV so the CX5 does look tempting.

Price wise, probably not much more than $28k or so - I'm looking at some nicer used cars (Acura MDX for example) which gets worse mileage but I'd be saving money up front with the purchase price.

#7 ·
I've though about this and I'd love a mazdaspeed3 but if the new one is not awd then I think I'd go with an Subaru Sti to have the power and awd. Our winters are long and cold up here and I think it would be much nicer for winter driving.

#9 ·
STI wouldn't be terrible, but I'd likely buy one used - so fear of getting a car that's been ragged on or heavily modified kinda deters me from them. Not really wanting to spend the ~$35k on a brand new (2014) hatchback model.

#18 ·
That DODGE DART has my interest since they are working on a new SRT all-wheel-drive version. Here's a link...Dodge Dart SRT: will the extra-fast compact car be made or not? another link...2016 Dodge Dart SRT | car review @ Top Speed
I really haven't been impressed with the build quality of Dodge, and as this would be a daily driver (I already have a supercharged S2000) I really don't want/need a high-strung turbo car. Like, you don't really see many Neon SRT4's running around on the streets still, I think there's a reason for that.

The Focus ST seems like a decent car, but I'd also be partially afraid of having two money pits (the S2k and ST) where I'd be modding both. For a daily driver I don't really want that temptation :( Same goes with the WRX/STI, I think if I went with Subaru I'd have to get at least a WRX, the price premium on the STI though isn't worth it since again, it's a daily.

My average commute is ~120 miles a day, so something easier on gas (like the Mazda 3 I had) would be preferred. I don't really see an AWD Dart/WRX meeting that criteria.

#20 ·
The Focus ST is seriously overrated. I had one for 6 months. I hated it. The gas mileage is okay, mid and high 20's. But torque steer and wheel hop are a huge issue, they don't give the car "character" like some people like to say. Also, those Recaro seats are extremely bulky, they make the back seat almost useless. They are also very narrow, so if you have a bigger guy, it's going to be uncomfortable.

#21 ·
From Concept to Commitment - Scion Announces New Product Plans | Scion Canada

???

I almost got a CX-5. Having a kid planning for more now perhaps I should have. But my next vehicle is going to be having towing capacity. I want a boat and possibly a trailer. I had a Jeep Wrangler and traded it for my 3. If they made a Wrangler 4 door that was good on fuel under $25k..perhaps. the 2017 models are supposed to do just that. Light weight body, 8 speed trans and even a diesel model now becoming available. Electric convertible top is a new feature. My 2 door being 20 something MPG wasn't going to cut it when starting a family. Most SUV's are hard on fuel except perhaps GM's Terrain and such. Nothing exciting there.

#23 ·
Just as an update to everyone, I haven't yet decided on a car yet. I was recently released from the hospital (had been in there several weeks) and am still in the process of doing therapy and getting fully healed up.

I'm planning on looking at a 2015 Mazda 3s GT that my dealer has (nearly fully loaded, 6spd), a CX5 they have, a used Acura MDX, and also going to swing by the Honda dealer to see what they've got (maybe a Fit or Accord?)

#27 ·
Just as an update to everyone, I haven't yet decided on a car yet. I was recently released from the hospital (had been in there several weeks) and am still in the process of doing therapy and getting fully healed up.

I'm planning on looking at a 2015 Mazda 3s GT that my dealer has (nearly fully loaded, 6spd), a CX5 they have, a used Acura MDX, and also going to swing by the Honda dealer to see what they've got (maybe a Fit or Accord?)
We wanted a Fit before we bought our 2011 S-model 3. The Fit is a great little car around town....great shifter, handles really good, peppy engine. Then we took it to the Interstate....no guts, took forever to reach Interstate speed (70mph). If you're strictly using it for an around town vehicle, the Fit is hard to beat. But if you want to take some road trips, I'd advise you to look elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.