2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was looking for a while for a nice set of the newer GT or RX-8 wheels for my Mazda3 Syactiv, but they were very hard to find around where I live, or cost +$800. So, I eventually came across these Sonata wheels on craigslist. They have a +48mm offset, are 7.5 inches wide and are 18 inches in diameter (similar to the RX-8 wheels). The centering hub is even 67.1mm on both the Mazda and Hyundai wheels. Seeing the similar specs, and that they looked a lot like the newer GT wheels I was originally looking for, I gave them a shot. They cost $450 with the tires (which are 225/45R18 ). They are a little bigger than the factory steelies I had on before (by less than an inch total diameter though), but I used an online tool and found that by downsizing to 225/40/R18 would put them back to being almost the exact same size as the factory wheels (many people do this with RX-8 wheels). I am saving the wheels for the summer, as my steelies still have some good tread left for the winter, but after that I plan on selling them. I test fitted the new Sonata wheels and got some pictures of the overall car, as well as testing for clearance (which there was plenty of, almost as much as the factory wheels). Here were the results.

(Note: I know that the wheel gap seems pretty bad in the pictures, but I can't lower my car because the roads get so bad here in the winter. But the car does usually sit better than it appears in the pictures, since the shocks get to settle after driving. I make myself feel better by saying "it's like a rally car" :laugh2:).

Before

After

Factory fender clearance vs Sonata

Sonata fender clearance (back part of splash guard)

Sonota suspension clearance

Sonata tire VS factory tire side-by-side

Yes, that's a speed3 sticker on non-speed3 brakes... I used to think they were the same... #RiceLife

My personal verdict: The Hyundai wheels are an excellent option for the Mazda 3. Give them a consideration if you can get past the whole Hyundai thing :laugh2:. I think they look a lot like the GT wheels I wanted before, but they ended up being much cheaper for me, and they're more aggressively shaped in my opinion (GT wheels below. IDK who the picture belongs to but it's not mine). All I need now are some wheel locks and some evil-M center hub covers.... :grin2:

*UPDATE* 9/28/2015

I've driven with these on for a while. They look much better when the shocks settle after driving and they cruise very nicely on the highway, even less road noise than the factory wheels! Turn in is also much more responsive now. Even though the tires are bigger I notice no difference in acceleration or even RPM differences per gear. I still plan on downsizing to a 225/40/18 though.

Also, here are the offset and size markings on the rim itself. Enjoy! :smile2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back from the dead, any chance you could try to repost these pictures? I'm interested in a set locally but would love to see pictures of them mounted with no spacers on stock suspension. Seems like 5mm spacers in the rear would be perfect with a subtle drop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts