2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my 2013 Mazda 3 sedan with automatic tranny and 45,000 miles to a mazda dealer closer to where I now live.
Brought it in for an oil change and he came back with recommending a drive belt and belt tensioner for $548, spark plugs for $245, air/fuel intake induction cleaning service for $155, and brake system fluid exchange for $100.
He had also suggested changing the tranny fluid until I told him that the tranny is only 3 years old as Mazda put in a new one.
I didn't trust him I said no. What surprised me is that they said the brakes were still at 50% as they are the original brakes.
What do you make of all this, does any of it sound plausible, especially the belt-do we need to change that at only 45,000 miles and does it need to be changed at all?
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, a belt is like 20, plugs are 6-8 a piece, flushing fluid is around 20, an air filter is maybe 15, a can of seafoam spray is maybe 8. All that can be grabbed at your local parts store and YouTube has great videos on how to do it all yourself. No way in hell I'd pay $245 to change spark plugs and $600 to cut a belt off and put a new one on. Even if your tensioner does need replacing, it's another $20 part at the parts store

·
Registered
304 Posts
Some dealers feed on wood ducks. I'd find an independent garage.
One of the reasons I bought I bought the wife a Mazda was because the cam was driven by a chain and not a belt. Does the car have any particular driving problem? If your worried about the brakes take a wheel off and have a look at the pads-or wait until the pad wear indicator light comes on.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, a belt is like 20, plugs are 6-8 a piece, flushing fluid is around 20, an air filter is maybe 15, a can of seafoam spray is maybe 8. All that can be grabbed at your local parts store and YouTube has great videos on how to do it all yourself. No way in hell I'd pay $245 to change spark plugs and $600 to cut a belt off and put a new one on. Even if your tensioner does need replacing, it's another $20 part at the parts store
Nah, can't do the work myself
Some dealers feed on wood ducks. I'd find an independent garage.
One of the reasons I bought I bought the wife a Mazda was because the cam was driven by a chain and not a belt. Does the car have any particular driving problem? If your worried about the brakes take a wheel off and have a look at the pads-or wait until the pad wear indicator light comes on.
I found a shop recommended near me. They replied to my brake fluid question quoting only $80 to do the fluid exchange then adding that he didn't think I needed it at 42,000 miles. Free inspection too. Unfortunately no lobby to wait for it but he sounds like he won't rip me off

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts
Nah, can't do the work myself

I found a shop recommended near me. They replied to my brake fluid question quoting only $80 to do the fluid exchange then adding that he didn't think I needed it at 42,000 miles. Free inspection too. Unfortunately no lobby to wait for it but he sounds like he won't rip me off
Brake fluid replacement is not done by mileage. It done by measuring the moisture contamination level. When it reaches a certain percentage of moisture its time to replace it. This can be in 6 months, a year or a few years depending on conditions. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, so it will absorb moisture from the air. The higher the moisture content of the air the faster the fluid will be contaminated.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure how the dealer determined it needed to be changed, for some reason I doubt that they tested it

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have the new place check it out or just have them change it and then get the free inspection. My brakes do feel kind of weak, but I thought it was the pads

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, I'll bring it in for that and tell them to check it first and do the full inspection and see what they come up with

1 - 12 of 12 Posts